Line 6 gurus, gather 'round.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
    keep the Flextone and get 2 cabs. 2x12's or 4x12's. angle them the way you want.
    I already have a 4x12 with celestions, but the Flextone II doesn't have an extension speaker jack (only the Flextone II Plus, XL, and HD head have this).

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
    BUT... before you turn your back on the xt or vetta version of the X88R, try updating to the newest firmware.
    I can't even get that far because nobody I've found stocks the Vetta. I've even called some stores in Nashville. No go.

Believe me, there is nothing I would love more than to have the Vetta II contain the exact Modern Hi-Gain sound I want, but until I can try one for myself, I can't see spending the money or dealing with the hassle.
    Last edited by PowerTube; 04-26-2007, 11:19 AM.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

FWIW, I love the POD 2.0 Modern High Gain model. Since I upgraded my Vetta to 2.5, I haven't felt any desire to use the POD. I'm not going to tell you that the models are identical, since I haven't done a side by side comparison...just saying that since they added Modern High Gain to the Vetta, I haven't missed the POD.
      This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Originally posted by petedz View Post
        FWIW, I love the POD 2.0 Modern High Gain model. Since I upgraded my Vetta to 2.5, I haven't felt any desire to use the POD. I'm not going to tell you that the models are identical, since I haven't done a side by side comparison...just saying that since they added Modern High Gain to the Vetta, I haven't missed the POD.
        So does the Modern Hi-Gain in the Vetta sound as good as it does on the POD 2.0? I realize you haven't compared side-by-side, but are you pleased with the Vetta version?

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
          You would think, but i have owned the vetta, and flextone heads etc.. and i still prefer the high gain on the flextone II and the pod 2.0, it just sounds so much better.

In theory the vetta is suppose to sound better, but if you ask me the pod 2.0's sounds so much better when it comes to amp models. Yeah the vetta's have so many more options, but i found most of the amp models dull and lifeless or lacking clarity. Give me a pod 2.0 or a flextone II head any day over the vetta.
          I think you are noticing the difference because with the vetta/PODXT, since there are many other editing options (that are not in POD2.0 like the presence knob for example) you need to probably "roll back" some settings to get to the base POD 2.0 sound. I got a POD2.0 and within a week got a PODXT and there are lot more awesome sounds I can get with the PODXT than with the POD.
          Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
            I think you are noticing the difference because with the vetta/PODXT, since there are many other editing options (that are not in POD2.0 like the presence knob for example) you need to probably "roll back" some settings to get to the base POD 2.0 sound. I got a POD2.0 and within a week got a PODXT and there are lot more awesome sounds I can get with the PODXT than with the POD.
            The POD 2.0 does have a Presence control (if the amp model you're on has it). You hold the Tap button and turn (I *think*) the Treble control.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
              So does the Modern Hi-Gain in the Vetta sound as good as it does on the POD 2.0? I realize you haven't compared side-by-side, but are you pleased with the Vetta version?
              I run the Vetta head through a Mesa halfback 4x12. The Mesa cab has Black Shadow MC-90s which turn out to be a nice neutral speaker that works well with modeling. Mostly, I use the SLO100 pushed with the Tubescreamer model for rhythms and the Modern High Gain with a bit of delay for leads. In both cases I use the greenback cab sim. On the output setup page, I always have the presence off. I have the loudness on at low volumes and off at high volumes. If I hear anything shrill in the upper mids, I back off the high global EQ (the knob next to the master). I'm shooting for Wicked Sensation tones, and this gets me very close.

There are a lot of other great sounding high gain models in the Vetta. Even the Marshall models are better than people give them credit for. I can't get anything good out of the JCM800 model, but the Plexi models and the Silver J can kick ass, properly tweaked.

I'd recommend going back to GC and spending some quality time with the f'ed up one that you decided not to buy....just to learn the amp. A few guidelines:
              - use only one amp at a time
              - if it's not working, add a Screamer or the Vetta Juice as a stomp
              - don't worry about patches, just use it like a regular amp...twiddle the knobs and follow your ears

I think it's all been said before, but...

Comment

...ah, if it's been upgraded to 2.5, that is...

Comment

The POD 2.0 does have a Presence control (if the amp model you're on has it). You hold the Tap button and turn (I *think*) the Treble control.
                  Yes, I know that, but you see that's the point. To get to the base POD's tones, you have to roll back a few (and in some cases its quite a few) features in the XT/Vetta models which are "ON" by default. ok, enuf said. I will shut up now! :ROTF:
                  Sam

Comment

Yep, but it's simply "ON" or "OFF", whereas with the Flextone III, you actually have a knob and can adjust the level.

Comment

Anybody got what they consider to be a good high gain patch they have dialed in and are willing to type out the details. I cant just download and try other peoples patchs because my computer fails to recoginize my VettaII.

So I have been trying to dial in a awesome high gain metal tone for the last few weeks which has become very time consuming and I'm getting closer but it seems my Gt-6 had a hotter sound .

Comment

the presence knob for the x88r on the xt version does not work at all.

on the 2.0 you had presence, volume, and gain boosts by holding tap and turning the treble, ch vol, and drive knobs above 12 O'clock.

the xt version does not have these options.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mikernaut2 View Post
                          Anybody got what they consider to be a good high gain patch they have dialed in and are willing to type out the details. I cant just download and try other peoples patchs because my computer fails to recoginize my VettaII.
                          No, but I'm a computer tech. Maybe we can get your PC to recognize the Vetta.

So I have been trying to dial in a awesome high gain metal tone for the last few weeks which has become very time consuming and I'm getting closer but it seems my Gt-6 had a hotter sound .
                          Have you tried different cab models? I've found that the cab emulation makes a definite difference in sustain and the "hotness" feel.

Comment

How about the Bomber Uber (model default settings), Screamer stomp (zero drive, gain depends on pickups) with the cab sim off?

Comment

Line 6...great for noddling

I can dig that you want to experiment with a true stereo sound and (2) Flextone rigs, but another question to ask is will you ever gig with it? I have been through many Line 6 systems (latest is a very beat AX2) and they all, in my opinion, crap out when pushed over 7. With that in mind, they are great for noodling around with, but suck to gig with (IMHO). My 120W tube Ampeg will send the Line 6 off to cower in the corner after being pushed just a little.

A lot of people have experimented with various dual-cab setups to get that stereo sound, but having 2 floorboards and 2 Flextones sounds very complicated.

Comment

Yeah I have been running the screamer infront as suggested by others ,aswell as using different cabinets. I've been having the most luck using and combining, bomber uber, powerball ,deity's son ,Missippi Criminal and the hi gain solo 100, and for cabs I tend to go with the Greenback 25's,line 6 4x12 , or Treadplate.

Maybe my problem lies more in the eq, and compression tweaking. What I think sounds good at the time ends up sounding muddy to me when I come back to it. Just seems trickier then the Gt-6 to dial in some hi gain dist. with good sustain that doesnt turn to mud or get really noisy.

I installed the midisport Uno and my computer recognizes it so it seems, (got the latest drivers). but when I open up Line 6 Monkey or Edit it cant find the Vetta II combo. Cords are hooked up right tried multiple usb ports on the computer etc. still no luck.

The new Line 6 forums arent very active and I see lots of people having problems updating to 2.5 . (luckily mine was updated when I received it)

I was just hoping there would be more in depth FAQ or walkthru for the whole midi USB setup. Seemed simple enough but I dunno what I'm missing to get my comp to recognize it.

Comment

Working...
                                X