Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp, Carr Hammerhead & Cab

What a great sounding but "weird" amp.

I sold my SLO recently because, one, I needed to play it at 3 (very loud) to get a great sound from it, and, two, I was getting bored without my pedals. So I kicked around for amps that would take pedals, and with the proceeds I picked up one 25 watt Class A Head (the Carr), a Carr 2x12 Cab (Cannabis Rex speakers ), and I have a Orange Tiny Terror coming so I can crank it in the house.

Why is the Hammerhead weird? Messing with the preamp volume and master volume radically changes the sounds on this, and then there are two controls (IMPACT and GRIP) which make absolutely no sense. You just have to mess around with each control's 4 positions, to get very different and cool sounds. This thing is made for hard rock and blues, and it loves pedals. I can dial down the IMPACT and GRIP to 1 (clean positions) but if I crank the master and volume it gets dirty quick. Or, I can bring up the IMPACT and GRIP to 3 or 4, and dial down the volume, and I get a great high gain sound. There's also a tone control. When it's off, it adds more gain. This thing just sings when I'm blasting it. A really raunchy sound. I AB'd it with the SLO when the SLO was still here, and though it lacks the SLO's definition, you could clearly hear a full bell-like bloom that the SLO didn't have (sometimes the SLO sounds a bit flat to me, and when you run an overdrive through the SLO's clean channel, hit the footswitch and compare it to the SLO's lead, the difference is noticeable).

I'm very happy with this Hammerhead, it's just what I need right now, and though the SLO remains my favorite amp, it needs to be cranked and played without effects.

Reviews of the Hammerhead

Super Cool

I've played the Mercury a few times but never run accross one of these. The build qulaity is right up there with the best of them, Steve Carr knows his amps.

Congratulations ! I think that amps looks cool as shit

What guitar are you using ? Did those Goodwoods ever find a home ?

Steve E

Comment

I'm playing my Jackson Archtop and Fender Strat mostly these days. My Jackson is still the best guitar I own.

I put those Goodwoods in a Les Paul Historic, upgraded the caps and pots with the RS kit, and then I realized that I like les pauls with plain old Burstbuckers and lower output on the electronics. Instead of going through all the hassle of rewiring it AGAIN, I sold it, heh.

And then I bought a Vintage Mahogany.

Comment

That just screams retro, and if it sounds 1/2 as great as it looks...
        Score! Could not be cooler looking!

Comment

Definitely a cool retro vibe to the look. What speakers are in the cab?
          Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Eminence Cannabis Rex. A very underrated speaker. They sound great.

Comment

Working...
            X