Quick 5150 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick 5150 question

So I'm finally getting around to hooking up my 5150 since I've now got a house with a basement. Seeing as how it's been a few years since I've played through anything other than a practice/combo amp, I've got a quick question. The head is a 120 watt head with settings for 4, 8, & 16 ohms. I'm plugging it into a single, matching 5150 cabinet. That should be 4 ohms, then?

On another note, what happens if you run an amp/cab at the wrong setting?

Thanks a bunch

Run the one 8 ohm cab at 8 ohms (head)...If you run two 8 ohm cabs, you need to set the amp at 4 ohms.

What will happen? You could fry your amp.

These settings are very importaint.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I belive the 5150 cab is a 16 Ohm cabinet.
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Originally posted by sevser View Post
        Run the one 8 ohm cab at 8 ohms (head)...If you run two 8 ohm cabs, you need to set the amp at 4 ohms.

What will happen? You could fry your amp.

These settings are very importaint.
        Wait a min, the 5150 head NEEDS a 16 ohms cab. You got to have a 16 ohm cab. IF you were to run two 16 ohm cabs, THEN you set the switch at 8 ohms. I think i am right. Let me look up some documentation...

About frying your amp... most amps are designed to withstand a 2:1 impedance mismatch. So the amp should be fine but will run hotter than usual. but yes, its not recommended.

EDIT: oops did not see that you have already got a 5150 cab. yes, it is a 16 ohms cab. set the switch to 16 and you are good to go. if you had two 16 ohm cabs, then you set it to 8. Sorry about that.
        Sam

Comment

16 ohms it is. I was trying to download the 5150 owner's manual from peavey, but it kept locking up my computer. I was just getting ready to try the 6505 manual when I looked at the back of my cab. Sure as shit says 16 ohms. Thanks, fellas.

Comment

Dont be disappointed by the sound of the 5150 thru that cab. the cab gets very bad reviews. The 5150 sounds awesome thru a Marshall cab. But still rocks. Love my 5150.
            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
              Dont be disappointed by the sound of the 5150 thru that cab. the cab gets very bad reviews. The 5150 sounds awesome thru a Marshall cab. But still rocks. Love my 5150.
              not to contradict you, considering I've never played a 5150, but several people here have said the opposite over the years - that a 5150 sounds best with the matched cab
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                not to contradict you, considering I've never played a 5150, but several people here have said the opposite over the years - that a 5150 sounds best with the matched cab
                ok. If you have the sound you want, then I am happy for you.
                Sam

Comment

"Wait a min, the 5150 head NEEDS a 16 ohms cab. You got to have a 16 ohm cab"

BS. if an amp head has a 4/8/16 ohm switch, why would you have to run it at 16 ohms?
                  right now i got mine hooked up to an 8 ohm framus 212 cab, and prior to that i was running a 1960A at 4 ohms. you're basically trying to say that i can't do that.

Comment

Yeah, if the amp has a switch you can run it at whatever your cab is (16 ohms in your case). And I'm with G on the cab, I've read many 5150 owners say to use the matching cab.
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

The 5150 cabs I have used were 8 ohm. *Scratching head*

Your amp may not fry right NOW but, it is the wose case scenario and not something you want to mess with.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                        Maybe you had a bad cab? I've ran many 5150s and tried them through countless cabs (multiple config marshalls, Mesa traditional, rectos, 30s 90s, Ampegs etc). And, the 5150 cab seems to be the shit for that amp.

The 5150 cab doesnt sound all so amazing with other amps like that, but with the 5150, it allows you to run the gain highly and stay tightler, and a lot more resonance without the fart.

Comment

Sorry about that. Yes, you guys are right. You can use any cab as long as the impedance is at least 4 ohms. I stand corrected. Sincere apologies.

This is from the 5150 manual.

SPEAKER O U T P U T S
                          1. Paralleled VV’ output jacks for
                          Aconnecting speaker enclosure(s) to
                          the amplifier (minimum: 4 ohms).
                          When using more than one
                          enclosure, be sure to calculate the
                          total impedance and set the
                          impedance switch [28] accordingly.
                          (See section on IMPEDANCE
                          SWITCH.)
                          Important: Use only high quality,