I'm going to start from scratch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to start from scratch...

I've decided, after more than two years of tweaking with my Dual Rec, to start from scratch with getting the tone that's in my head, and, coincidently, on the last 2 KsE cd's.

When I say from scratch, I mean everything except my remaining guitars (SL1 & SD reissue, both with Duncan pickups), cables, pedals etc.

I sold my Dual Rec half stack on Saturday, so I'm now relying on my poor, overworked Marshall 4104 to do everything...this can't continue.

I want an amp with excellent cleans, crushing chug and a solo boost facility, all the while remaining free of annoying hiss.

Where should I start? I have until September to get my dream rig together, as that's when my band is back on the road.

I realise that some compromises may have to be made, e.g. using a noise gate, boosting the front end etc. I just need some advice and opinions from you fellow JCF'ers.

My vote says, look at the Framus Corba, excellent cleans, crushing chug, solo boost via two switchable master volumes, and it's really freakin' quiet.
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

You've read my mind! The only reason I haven't bought one so far is that I feel that I rushed into the whole Dual Recto thing...don't ever want to be that disappointed again. Another reason is that I keep hearing about issues surrounding the Cobra's reliability.

No one appears to stock these in the UK, so I'd have to buy one un-tested...this makes me nervous.

Comment

I have had no issues. While I am not gigging right now, I use it through a Hot Plate several hours a day typically. Honestly that's the first I've heard of that. It looks like it's built fantastically but I have never opened it up to peek at the guts.
        FWIW I bought mine from the US un-tested because no one in Japan has them. www.rocksolidamps.com has sound clips and I was able to match his clips right out of the box.

I know board member Fragle has one and I believe there is another owner here too.
        Is it diffucult to pop over to Germany from the UK?
        Nevermind I was just looking at the Framus Intl site http://www.framus.de/modules/start/start.php you can pull up a list of UK dealers from there.
        1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

cobra or 5150 + probably a tubescreamer sort of boost on the front end should pretty much get you there

Comment

Should I assume that Kse is Killswitch Engage?
            If thats so.... Mesa Stiletto.

Comment

No, Killswitch has never used Stiletto's.

Basically, you're going to need EMG 85's in the bridge and an OD808 infront of the amp. Pair that with a Mesa 4x12 (oversized) on the back end, and you can get that tone from a 5150, Framus Cobra, Mesa Recto, or Soldano SLO.

The SLO-100 with the Warren Haynes gain mod was the amp used for As Daylight Dies, with the 85/OD808/Mesa 4x12 setup, single 57.

The exact amp, cabinet, mic, and OD pedal was used for the All That Remains album, The Fall of Ideals, only with 81's instead of 85's.

Comment

You want a Uberschall..I think!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I LOVE my Uber..

I haven't had the pleasure to try a Cobra..I wish I could!
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                  X