For SOLDANO users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For SOLDANO users

Hey, if you play a Soldano amp, please reply. What model do you play, what speakers do you use, and what guitarist(s) inspired your decision to try a Soldano? I'll start.......I play a 2003 boa tolex SLO100 through a Marshall 1960a with Eminence GB128(version of a greenback) speakers. I've wanted this amp since Van Halen's For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge album came out (I've waited many years!) . So Eddie's use of the amp (should've stayed with Soldano) as well as Warren DeMartini and Mick Mars, who both floored me with their live tones while using Soldanos. Oh, and of course George Lynch and his use of them for a while. Anyway, mine is stock with no mods, and I don't desire any. I've called Soldano, and even got to chat with Mike twice! Talk about great customer service. After playing for about twenty years, this is finally the amp I will grow old with. It is the tone I've always wanted. It is an amazing amp.

I have a Hot Rod 50, changed the speakers to Celestion Vintage 30's after I had the cab for a year. Great amp, got into it when another local guitarist bought one and blew me away with his tone. I ended up getting the last one at a local shop who was discontinuing their deal with Soldano. Outside of the changed speakers, no mods, probably none will be. Likely to be one of those "heirloom" pieces you give to your kids.
    "... and is there anyone out there who can sing music beyond either the Dead/Phish/jam band of the week

or

obscure B-side GreatWhiteLionSnake demos recorded in the basement of some guy who was the girlfriend's second cousin's in-law's best man?

I swear to God, if we audition another American Idol wannabee or have another no show, I'll turn postal. I'm a donkey on the frickin' edge."

Comment

I have that SLO100 clone in Snakeskin. We use it through a Marshall 1960a loaded with Vin 30's. It sounds amazing.

Regarding my inspiration for owning one...
      Warren Haynes, Richie Sambora, Mick Mars and George Lynch.

Comment

Yeah, I forgot about Richie Sambora on the "faith" album.

Comment

I own an early 90s SLO in purple tolex. It's stock and I also don't see any need for any mods. (I'm thoroughly convinced that the depth mod is for bedroom players because the SLO has plenty of bottom in a band situation.) I run mine through a couple of '79 Marshall 4x12s with 65 W Celestions.

I really wasn't inspired to pick mine up by anyone else. It just fit the high gain sound I always wanted out of a Marshall and Marshall could never provide.

Comment

Soldano Decatone here. Wanted SLO, but could not try out while the Decatone was available. Three channels also work perfectly for me. Plugged in - and did not have any need for tweacking, instant great tone giving me that Parisian Walkways sound and feel. Never tried the SLO, but it's really hard to imagine it can get better than the Deca's....

Comment

I have expressed my strong opinion for Soldano's many times.
              You might consider using the search engine you can get alot more info.
              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

The Decatone pales BIGTIME compared to an SLO.

Originally posted by akoch View Post
                Soldano Decatone here. Wanted SLO, but could not try out while the Decatone was available. Three channels also work perfectly for me. Plugged in - and did not have any need for tweacking, instant great tone giving me that Parisian Walkways sound and feel. Never tried the SLO, but it's really hard to imagine it can get better than the Deca's....

Comment

thebisch, I actually looked for more into in this, to determine the degree of 'pales' and 'lacks' for Decatone, but not much info so far. Yes, there is an obvious difference in Mercury Magnetics transformers vs DeYoung. Lot of very good sounding amps use MM trannies though. I've yet to find somebody knowledgable enough to explaint more to me. Soldano's sales was not helpful either, I suspect for his own reasons

Comment

I have an SLO100 and run it through Marshall 1960B cabs with Greenbacks. I have an older 1960B with 65 watters and it sounds great through that as well. Very similar, actually. Mine has the Haynes mod

I actually owned the Sambora SLO100 for a few years but sold it because I liked my first SLO better. I saw it on ebay recently for big $$$.

I was inspired by tones Warren Haynes, Warren DeMartini, George Lynch, and Gary Moore got from there SLO100s. However, I was driven by that elusive tone I wanted to get from 2203 Marshalls that I could not find, as well. I found my tone in the amp so I guess the rock stars drove me to try the amp but my ears drove me to keep it. It does what I want how I want.

Bret
                    www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Originally posted by slo100 View Post
                      It does what I want how I want.
                      Bret
                      +1
                      Yep, soldano's are one of a kind, I couldn't said it any better.
                      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Wow, I guess I'm like the little kid on the block with my Astroverb. That's cool. I've played the SLO100, the Decatone and a few other models. The Astroverb suits me best.

And I do agree that bewteen the SLO and the Deca, the SLO wins a million to one.

Comment

Working...
                        X