No announcement yet.

Stacked stereo vs. side-by-side (Vetta)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacked stereo vs. side-by-side (Vetta)

Yet another quality Vetta thread, brought to you by PowerTube. I didn't want this to get lost in the other thread.

I see in the Vetta II HD manual that you can run side-by-side stereo with two 4x12's. I guess that means that each 4x12 acts as one side of the stereo spectrum (left/right).

But it also offers the option of running stacked stereo, which I *assume* means stereo within each cabinet.

So my question is, for those of you who have tried both, which sounds better to your ears?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

2 4x12s is wider, one cab split in stereo isn't as wide but much easier to deal with.

Comment

Just having separate cabs at all is an improvement. When I had my Vetta I was using a 2x12 Line 6 Vetta cab and it sounded really nice. But when I went to using a pair of Boogie 1x12 cabs the stereo effect was immediately improved even if they were sitting side by side. Having physical isolation is a good thing. So if you're thinking a stereo 4x12 I'd get a pair of 2x12's instead.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
        2 4x12s is wider, one cab split in stereo isn't as wide but much easier to deal with.
        No, I'm looking at running two 4x12's. Obviously, this will give me great seperation depending on where I place the cabs. I guess what I'm really asking is about running each 4x12 in stereo, that is, two speaker lines into each cab. I'm wondering if I do this AND have one cab on each side of the room.....

EDIT: Just to clarify, I already have the KMD 4x12 with Celestions and I have a Line 6 4x12 on the way.

Comment

I prefer one amp to each cab.

Comment

Originally posted by HeWhoIs View Post
            I prefer one amp to each cab.
            Can you clarify a bit? Are you running two cabs acting as left/right stereo or stereo within each cab?

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
              No, I'm looking at running two 4x12's. Obviously, this will give me great seperation depending on where I place the cabs. I guess what I'm really asking is about running each 4x12 in stereo, that is, two speaker lines into each cab. I'm wondering if I do this AND have one cab on each side of the room.....

EDIT: Just to clarify, I already have the KMD 4x12 with Celestions and I have a Line 6 4x12 on the way.
              Hm, might not be a great idea to mix a modelling cab with a 'regular' one - you could have some issues with one cab sounding awesome and the other sounding like crap.

I *do* have some Line6 speakers I pulled from a 300 watt flextone cab. They are custom celestions built for L6. PM or email me if you're interested and I'll tell you the whole story, I keep meaning to put them on ebay.

Pete

Comment

Hm, might not be a great idea to mix a modelling cab with a 'regular' one - you could have some issues with one cab sounding awesome and the other sounding like crap.

I *do* have some Line6 speakers I pulled from a 300 watt flextone cab. They are custom celestions built for L6. PM or email me if you're interested and I'll tell you the whole story, I keep meaning to put them on ebay.

Pete
                Wow. I never knew there was a difference. If that's the case, I'll get another Line 6 4x12 of the 'Bay. I will say, though, that the KMD cab sounded good with the Vetta combo.

Comment

Yeah, there's quite a big difference imho... the modelling cabs are flat response so you can use the different cab emulations. Generally speaking, cab emulations sound like dirt on a 'regular' cab. When I sold my Vetta, I took the speakers out of the flextone cab and put some old GT75s in the flextone cab. Was easier to just get some speakers and use the cab than to ship it.

pete

Comment

Yeah, there's quite a big difference imho... the modelling cabs are flat response so you can use the different cab emulations. Generally speaking, cab emulations sound like dirt on a 'regular' cab. When I sold my Vetta, I took the speakers out of the flextone cab and put some old GT75s in the flextone cab. Was easier to just get some speakers and use the cab than to ship it.

pete
                    You know, this might be the reason why the Vetta sounded best across the 4x12 when set for 1x6 and 1x8 cab emulation. The POD sounds best across it at 1x8. Either way, I think I can EQ it to sound great.

Comment

Yet another quality Vetta thread, brought to you by PowerTube. I didn't want this to get lost in the other thread.

I see in the Vetta II HD manual that you can run side-by-side stereo with two 4x12's. I guess that means that each 4x12 acts as one side of the stereo spectrum (left/right).

But it also offers the option of running stacked stereo, which I *assume* means stereo within each cabinet.

So my question is, for those of you who have tried both, which sounds better to your ears?
                      There is no question that spread stereo sounds better than stacked.
                      Its pretty to hear the difference between the 2 Vetta amp models when they are panned hard left and hard right in a single cabinet.
                      When you spread the cabs out... look out.
                      A Vetta HD running 2 4 x 12 cabs in stereo spread apart is almost a religous experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        A Vetta HD running 2 4 x 12 cabs in stereo spread apart is almost a religous experience.
                        Now THAT is the quote of the year!

Let me tell you, I'm totally pumped about the new gear coming in!

Comment

Now THAT is the quote of the year!

Let me tell you, I'm totally pumped about the new gear coming in!
                          You should be pumped. Its a killer rig.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            There is no question that spread stereo sounds better than stacked.
                            Its pretty to hear the difference between the 2 Vetta amp models when they are panned hard left and hard right in a single cabinet.
                            When you spread the cabs out... look out.
                            JG,

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding here......I totally see what you mean about two cabs vs. stereo within a single cab. BUT....what I'm asking about is running two cabs with stacked stereo in each. They would still be spread out but each cab would have both amps.

Have you ever tried it like that?

Comment

JG,

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding here......I totally see what you mean about two cabs vs. stereo within a single cab. BUT....what I'm asking about is running two cabs with stacked stereo in each. They would still be spread out but each cab would have both amps.

Have you ever tried it like that?

I never tried it like that but I would guess that it wouldn't sound much different then just running stereo cabinets but having both amp models panned in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                              X