Marshall JVM mini review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JVM mini review...

found one at the local GC, so I gave it a spin through a V30 loaded marshall cab.

I messed with it for about 20 minutes... loved how it would save the info for channels. Very easy to dial stuff in, even though it's frightening at first with the number of knobs.

I've owned old Marshalls (had a late 60s 100 watt when I was a kid and dumped it for a channel switching amp, kill me now) a silver jubilee 50 watt, every JCM 800 head (2203, 2204, 2205, 2210) voodoo modded 2203, a 4100 JCM900 high gain reverb, etc. Marshall is on the right track with this amp, I don't think it's 'every marshall in a box' as some people think, but it's a good sounding amp. The thing had TONS of gain with pretty good hiss levels. If you were looking for a bedroom amp where you could just get sustain at will, here it is. The amp was so freaking easy to play it was unbelievable. Anyone who thinks the JVM is hard to play hasn't encountered a VHT.

However... there were several things that bugged me. The mode switches would stick - it would go from green to red, you'd have to dick around with it to make it switch to orange. ALL of the switches did this. I gave the knobs a little pull and they wormed back and forth as mentioned in other threads. I could probably give the amp an angry look and make half the knobs shear off. I know that people are seeing this amp as a bargain, but a bargain to me would include at least average build quality. If things like this are so glaring when the amp is new, I don't want to find out the other compromises that were made.

I really was let down a little - it's a nice amp, don't get me wrong, but all the hyperbole on the amp made me think that it's the best thing on the planet. I dig my Randall RM setup right now quite a bit more, and I haven't really scratched the surface on it yet.

Glad some guys like it, but right now, it's not for me.

When I tried it, I decided I wanted it. On 99% of the amps i played only ONE channel I thought was usable. I like three on the JVM.The knobs did feel flimsy.
    www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
    the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Pete, good review. I do want to try it also, but these stories of questionable build quality keeps me out of stores that may have them. See, my 2 Carvin amps, the X100B and MTS are built very well and no flimsy or wiggly things going on. I really hope Marshall steps up on the quality on these amps and then I will probably save up for one. There really is no reason for Marshall to make a flimsy amp in general. Jack.

Comment

I loved it, too bad about the cheap build.
        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I have played 3 different JVM heads. None of them had the problem you describe with the buttons.

Comment

I really appreciate this review, Pete.

I love the Marshall tone but only play at bedroom volume 99% of the time, so I haven't been able to justify getting one. Maybe the JVM is the one for me.

Comment

Originally posted by thebisch View Post
              I have played 3 different JVM heads. None of them had the problem you describe with the buttons.
              That's cool. How sturdy were the pots? FYI, some guys who really like these amps on rig-talk mentioned that they had seen the same problem with the buttons. I know this amp has a lot of features for the money, but I'd really like something solidly built for $1750 street. That's just me though.

Pete

Comment

Yep, the pots seem to be pretty cheesy. I do like the JVM overall though. The place I played one at last week wanted $1499 for it...quite the deal IMO.

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                That's cool. How sturdy were the pots? FYI, some guys who really like these amps on rig-talk mentioned that they had seen the same problem with the buttons. I know this amp has a lot of features for the money, but I'd really like something solidly built for $1750 street. That's just me though.

Pete

Comment

Very Nice Pete..I know I would like the tone if you do.

Hmmm..maybe they will resolve some of the balant problems that you already discovered in c/w cheap parts and quirks. I sure there is owners already taking them back for repairs for these issues.

When or if they get the bugs worked out..I may consider one if I really dig the tone.

It's nice to hear that Marshall is sounding "good " again..it's been a while IMO.

I still LOVE my Marhsall rack..but that's a different animal..
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks for the review, Pete. I had read that there were "issues" but not what they were. With Marshall's build quality of the last 15-20 years I should have figured build quality would be the problem.

Well, maybe they'll use better components as word gets out. At least it sounds good to you, that's a big plus.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Guys,

I own a JVM. I sold my beloved 30th Anny amp. I love this amp, even more so after a complete re-tube and bias. I replaced the tubes with TungSol pre's and Winged C EL34's. I couldn't be happier. Thanks to horns666 on the TungSol's - he was raving about these tubes in another message thread - God bless you man

Anyway, it's a great bedroom amp, even for 100 watts. The tones - which *I* love - are available at low bedroom volume. There's a discussion forum dedicated to this amp, in case anyone is interested: www.jvm410.com.

Although numerous people have reported various problems with the amp, mainly lots of hiss on the OD1/OD2 channels, I don't think I've ever played a tube amp this quiet. It was quiet before the re-tube, but now even moreso afterward. Yeah, the build quality is questionable - I mean, the knobs on the front of the amp aren't even anchored to the chassis. As I don't currently gig, and probably won't indefinitely (work, kids), getting the amp banged around is not an issue.

As for playing one in a music store, just be aware that the amp bias *may* be out of whack from the factory. Mine was before I did the re-tube. Anyway, if you find the amp to basically suck during an in-store demo, that *may* be the problem. For what it's worth, my speaker cab is a Marshall 1936 with Vintage 30 speakers.

A REALLY nice feature of the amp is the MIDI and footswitch programmability. I've got a few rack FX wired into the amp's loop and everything - to me - sounds killer.

Well, for what it's worth...

P.S. If you're reading this horns666, did you ever get your PC's CD burner working?
                      "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Yes, it is working, John it fixed it for me..until I screw something esle up..hopefully not!

I'm glad the Tung Sols worked out for you with your new Marshall..I may pop them in my JMP-1..but it's a pain to get in that thing..I will when a tube takes a dump.

I can see the TungSols working well with EL34s , it sure does in my Uber as well..it's a good balance. They may be too dark with other tubes such as KT88s that have much more low end with less mids..JJ's work well with those!

COOLNESS!!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've got JVM's in stock. Do yourself a favor and get in touch with me if you're interested in getting one, I'll make it worth your time!

Matt

Matt's Music Center
                          35 Pleasant St
                          Weymouth MA 02190 USA
                          781-335-0700
                          www.mattsmusic.com
                          [email protected]
                          Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Poor build quality is a common complaint about lots of stuff these days and it doesn't help that the dollar is falling when you are buying imported stuff. I remeber when the DSL401 was under $700 new!! Ouch. Z

Comment

Originally posted by Zoner View Post
                              Poor build quality is a common complaint about lots of stuff these days and it doesn't help that the dollar is falling when you are buying imported stuff. I remeber when the DSL401 was under $700 new!! Ouch. Z
                              Well....I took mine back. It was cool , but not that cool to me. I really only need a couple of good tones available and this was overkill. Way too many things that could get ugly with it.

I was told but I pretty reliable source that the boards for these are actually made in China, the amp is final assembled in Engled - thus the "Made in England" moniker. It makes total sense considering the Vox AC30CC is made in China, and Vox is another Korg product like Marshall.

There are some really happy people out there with these amps, in the end thats all that matters.

Steve E

Comment

Working...
                              X