Marshall JVM mini review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speed monkey View Post
    There are some really happy people out there with these amps, in the end thats all that matters.

Steve E
    Exactly. The things I noted in my review were important to me... there are guys on rig-talk gigging with JVMs with no issues so far.

Comment

For being Marshall and how much it costs, Build quality should not be an Issue. Marshall Knows most people who will buy them will gig with them. It's got to be road worthy.

I played it twice now and I'm not way into it. I was more juiced on the spec's then the actual tone. It's nice and I bet you could do alot with it but so far it's not coming home with me.

Comment

Can the JVM get great 80's hair band tones? Like Dokken, Whitesnake etc. Would I use the Crunch or OD1 channel? I can't find one near me yet to try and have only found detuned videos and audio samples. I want to find some good samples in standard or Eb tuning. It doesn't sound like a Mode Four does it? Has anyone also played it with EMG's? I'm running a RM100 with a Mr Scary mod into a 1960AV. I'm wondering which one I can get better tones from. Thanks for the help.
        Last edited by tlingen; 05-10-2007, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tlingen View Post
          Can the JVM get great 80's hair band tones? Like Dokken, Whitesnake etc. Would I use the Crunch or OD1 channel? I can't find one near me yet to try and have only found detuned videos and audio samples. I want to find some good samples in standard or Eb tuning. It doesn't sound like a Mode Four does it? Has anyone also played it with EMG's? I'm running a RM100 with a Mr Scary mod into a 1960AV. I'm wondering which one I can get better tones from. Thanks for the help.
          The 80's hair band tones are in there, no problem - found in OD1 and OD2 in both orange and red modes. No pedals needed. If this amp doesn't have enough gain for you, you've got issues If anything it has too much gain and you'll find the need to run the gain at about 9:00 - 10:00 max other wise it will mush out and / or squeal like a pig. Super fun amp to play. I actually think it sounds better at low volumes than turned up, making it a perfect amp for around the house.

Pete - far from being hard, I found the JVM almost too easy to play...you really don't need to work much with it to get it to sing.

Steve E
          Last edited by speed monkey; 05-10-2007, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I went through several marshalls before settling with soldano. All I can say is that I started with a brand new JCM900 4100 head, went to a jtm60 combo, jcm601 combo, and finally a TSL100 head. It was so noticable how even the 900 head I had was built SO much better than the TSL. It just felt so much sturdier, tubes were mounted better. The TSL had the feel of being so much more flimsy. After a few years, the reverb quit, the jack for the pedal went on the back of the amp, some of the gold "fascia"? was peeling off, and I just couldn't deal with the beehive grind of the newer marshalls anymore. In all fairness, the newer Marshall overdrive just wasn't for me, but I kept buying different models trying to find the "one." The build quality on my SLO isn't even in the same universe, not to mention the tone...at least to me. And looking at pictures of the JVM,,,it appears to be built like the TSL. But I did hear that the overdrive is better?

Comment

Mine is on its way....im as giddy as a japanese school girl , but not as hot
              www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
              the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

I tried out a guitar for someone with the JVM. I thought it sounded great. Nice crunch, nice wailing lead tones, clean was typical Marshall. I didn't explore every posibility - I just found a handful of tones that I liked as I was playing.

OTOH, the new Marshall Vintage Modern sounded like crap. Mud, mud, flub, flub, blech.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Good review..but even this sloppy shredder is amazed at the VHT!
                  Sure its bright, and unforgiving..but wow.. it the best sounding
                  amp ive ever played thru, and allot cheaper than the JVM.

Comment

After playing one at the local music shop for an hour and then bringing it home to put it through the test, I bought one today.

It smokes. It covers all the tones, Plexi to 80's / 90's shred & todays scooped sounds. It's a killer amp. The effects loop works great as does all the other controls on the amp. The EQ adjustments are very effective. I don't know how they maintained all the pedal switching functions with a single guitar cable but that technolgy kicks ass! Marshall needed to pull one out and they did a super job with this one in my book!

I've been through quite a few pricey heads in the last few years and I seriously think this JVM has got it going. SUPER MARSHALL TONE!

Comment

My only problem is the FX loop can not be turned on or off via midi unless you change to a preset that has it turned off. Otherwise I love it.
                      www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
                      the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

I've ALWAYS heard Marshall talking about "monstruous gain" or "high gain crushing distortion" and "thrash metal approved", etc. This was specially said during the DSL100 amp, and when I plugged into one, I looked around and said... what?? It's "overdrive" and in most cases it's not even really palm-muteable, even with EMG's. I mean, it works great for hard rock or maybe some kind of "light" metal, but no way for thrash or death metal.

I'm wondering if this is the case, I mean, I currently own a Carvin V3 and the gain is amazing, perfect for any kind of metal. I've played through 5150's and that's great too. The only Marshall I've played that kinda had a "useable" gain was the JMP-1 preamp, but NOT the JCM2000 series, DSL or TSL.

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                          I've ALWAYS heard Marshall talking about "monstruous gain" or "high gain crushing distortion" and "thrash metal approved", etc. This was specially said during the DSL100 amp, and when I plugged into one, I looked around and said... what?? It's "overdrive" and in most cases it's not even really palm-muteable, even with EMG's. I mean, it works great for hard rock or maybe some kind of "light" metal, but no way for thrash or death metal.

I'm wondering if this is the case, I mean, I currently own a Carvin V3 and the gain is amazing, perfect for any kind of metal. I've played through 5150's and that's great too. The only Marshall I've played that kinda had a "useable" gain was the JMP-1 preamp, but NOT the JCM2000 series, DSL or TSL.
                          Fuck dude..I love you!!

We are on the exact same book and page!!!

My Marshall Rack is the ONLY Marshall I ever played "thrash", pinch harmonics galore and divebombs from hell without ANY use from a stomp..and it does classic VH/Savatage like a motherfucker...if you want it to..but I play much heavier shit these days. I owned countless Marshalls of all makes, models, and colors..for years!

I couldn't stand my DSL100..it blew total ass for what I do, it was worthless to me..but I got it really cheap, and I got a free new Marshall cab outta the deal!!

The ONLY Marshall head that comes even "close" to my rig is the 2210's Marshall 800's..I had two full stacks of those..but what I have sounds like a better version of that..still with four 1960b cabs!

I don't like using stomps..to me that's "cheese". You can get by with almost anything with a stomp..but sound like ass..IMO!

I Have a Uberschall and my 9200 w/5881s / JMP-1/JFX-1 set..the only rig that perked my interest since.. is the Peavey JSX..and that's it..the JSX kinda sounds like a mix of both rigs..I like that amp!

I bought my JMP-1 and Marshall rig in '96 and have yet heard a better "Marshall" tone"..I'll NEVER get rid of it..It is consistant since day one and it made me a better player because I spent these years actually playing instead of always tweaking which I did endlessly with EVERY other amp I had !!!!!

I haven't played the JVM yet..but I heard great things about it and Timmy/Pete owned JMP-1s before..and they're sticklers for good tone.
                          Last edited by horns666; 06-16-2007, 05:05 AM. Reason: I fucked up
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Horns.....you may have mentioned this before, but can you tell me what power amp you use with your JMP-1. Thanks

Comment

it's a Marshall 9200. Mentioned in his post above
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                                it's a Marshall 9200. Mentioned in his post above
                                Yes, It's the first series that used 5881s (6L6)..they sound MUCH better than the ones with the EL34s, I don't like them with EL34's..a few of my friends bought them right after I did.

I run mine as always..in stereo with four Marshall 1960b cabs..the only thing I use is a Marshall JFX-1 for delay, and a BBE 422 for a little more oomph for the lows!
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X