No announcement yet.

Marshall JVM mini review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a review one of our customers just sent me on the JVM410H he bought a few days ago.

------------------------------------------
    Hey, just wanted to drop you a quick line dude. This amp is a monster! I let it warm up for a few minutes... cranked the volume knob to like 3 o'clock and the master at like 8 o'clock and the thing just rips. Cool how the channels remember their last setting too. Tone is just awesome. I can get a chunk like old Metallica that I thought I would only ever get out of a Boogie (I had a quad preamp and a MK III back in the day).

Anyway....stay cool...and If you ever need a reference for this head tell em to call me!!
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Oh yeah, I should have recognized it as that Marshall rackmount tube power amp. 9200......100 watts per side, right? Don't they also make a 9100?

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
        Oh yeah, I should have recognized it as that Marshall rackmount tube power amp. 9200......100 watts per side, right? Don't they also make a 9100?

Sure..but I played them..they don't have the "balls " of the 9200.

It was just like when I had two JCM 2210 heads running together..

I had the 2205..the 50 wt. version of the 2210...it didn't nearly have the full bodied tone of their big bros..it sounded thinner and didn't have the bottom end at higher volume levels as the 100 watt models.

Marshalls that have high gain preamps..you don't rely too much on the poweramp..not like you would with a non-master volume amp, or even a early 800, that requires a stomp for "metal" tones. I like to be able to dial in a good sound at moderate levels and have that SAME sound when I crank the amp. I don't want the poweramp to color or compress it it any way, or as little as possible. There's always a mattter of preference of what tubes your running be it EL34, 6L6..and ect. I like 6L6 in the 9200, because they make a world of difference.

Sure there is always a G spot in the overall volume..where any amp sounds best to you..

In short, there is much more "headroom" with a more powerfull poweramp section..which I prefer.

Some dudes rely on hot plates, dummy loads and volumes levels to achieve their tone..but I never went that route. A friend of mine did that for a long time and just gave up and bought a JMP-1..which was my VH Trib player,..and many of you heard what that sounds like.

If you have a high gain preamp section there is no need for that...The Marshall 800 2210 is the only Marshall I ever had that had that "right" kind of gain (for me) that didn't require a stomp..

I was always going for the same kind of tone back in the day which was like a classic VH/latter Savatage tone. Those 2210s heads nail that tone. ...but my rack does it a bit better...that's why I traded them in for it..and a 1985 Tracy Lords Hustler issue..

I'm sure that JVM may be cool..but I'm runnin' two 100 watt 6L6 poweramp sections into four cabs..so I'm VERY spoiled!

But if the JVM does it as a "grab and go head" Marshall..that may be the ticket..lugging a rack around is a pain...and seems "uncool" these days..everyone is back at heads again..it always goes full circle.
        Last edited by horns666; 06-17-2007, 03:19 PM. Reason: I fugged up!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I hear you on the headroom. On my SLO, I'm happy once the volume gets to about 3 or so. And I only set my gain at about 6. So I'm not using any power amp gain, really, as the SLO has 5881 tubes.....but the sound is pure heaven to me. I was just playing it about an hour ago with my Jackson DK-1,,,,,,and this is the amp of my dreams. But, of course, you and I most likely have different ideas of the "sound." Anyway, four cabs!!!!! Wow,,,,do you have any hearing or testicles left, or are they on the opposite wall of your setup?

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
            I've ALWAYS heard Marshall talking about "monstruous gain" or "high gain crushing distortion" and "thrash metal approved", etc. This was specially said during the DSL100 amp, and when I plugged into one, I looked around and said... what?? It's "overdrive" and in most cases it's not even really palm-muteable, even with EMG's. I mean, it works great for hard rock or maybe some kind of "light" metal, but no way for thrash or death metal.

I'm wondering if this is the case, I mean, I currently own a Carvin V3 and the gain is amazing, perfect for any kind of metal. I've played through 5150's and that's great too. The only Marshall I've played that kinda had a "useable" gain was the JMP-1 preamp, but NOT the JCM2000 series, DSL or TSL.
            Unlike Horns, I'm not on the same page as you. I have a DSL100 from 1998. It kicks major ass. No issues whatsoever with palm muting chuga-chug. Did they change something after the early years? I know there is a big debate about Drake vs. Dagnall(sp?) trannies. Mine being an earlier one has the better Drake tranny. I just don't hear what you guys are bashing. The one thing I don't like is the gain channel OD2. Sometimes too much gain and it gets "flubby".

Comment

I will say that Gain on the JVM is pretty consistant. At low (bedroom) levels, I get as much distortion as any stomp box which is not the case with most marshalls I have played through. Alot of brands make their amps for bedroom playing and some like marshall make them for playing Loud. Both have their uses for guitarist, especially if you like your sound and dont want to have to go to the studio 3 times a week to hit that sweet spot at a high volume level.

The EQ is much better than my Marshall SLX, not active but you can actually feel more bass if you crank it, and you can find yourself pulling back on it like other Marshalls I have played.

Not as tight as a Dual Rec, more raw and more mids, which you get a marshall for.
              www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
              the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post

I'm sure that JVM may be cool..but I'm runnin' two 100 watt 6L6 poweramp sections into four cabs..so I'm VERY spoiled!
                hows that ring in your ear :P
                But if the JVM does it as a "grab and go head" Marshall..that may be the ticket..lugging a rack around is a pain...and seems "uncool" these days..everyone is back at heads again..it always goes full circle.
                I think its a bad thing when something on the hardware side becomes uncool. Only other guitar players can tell the difference between a John Petrucci rig and a Guitar-Cable-Amp rig.
                www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
                the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Originally posted by Vlover View Post
                  hows that ring in your ear :P
                  I think its a bad thing when something on the hardware side becomes uncool. Only other guitar players can tell the difference between a John Petrucci rig and a Guitar-Cable-Amp rig.
                  Huh?..what's that?

Yeah, I agree!!!

I love racks and I love my Uber..whatever gets the job done..regaurdless of whatever trends.

One cool thing is whenever there is a trend ..whatever is on the downside will be cheaper to pick up..which is better for the buyer than the seller.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Fuck dude..I love you!!

We are on the exact same book and page!!!

My Marshall Rack is the ONLY Marshall I ever played "thrash", pinch harmonics galore and divebombs from hell without ANY use from a stomp..and it does classic VH/Savatage like a motherfucker...if you want it to..but I play much heavier shit these days. I owned countless Marshalls of all makes, models, and colors..for years!

I couldn't stand my DSL100..it blew total ass for what I do, it was worthless to me..but I got it really cheap, and I got a free new Marshall cab outta the deal!!

The ONLY Marshall head that comes even "close" to my rig is the 2210's Marshall 800's..I had two full stacks of those..but what I have sounds like a better version of that..still with four 1960b cabs!

I don't like using stomps..to me that's "cheese". You can get by with almost anything with a stomp..but sound like ass..IMO!

I Have a Uberschall and my 9200 w/5881s / JMP-1/JFX-1 set..the only rig that perked my interest since.. is the Peavey JSX..and that's it..the JSX kinda sounds like a mix of both rigs..I like that amp!

I bought my JMP-1 and Marshall rig in '96 and have yet heard a better "Marshall" tone"..I'll NEVER get rid of it..It is consistant since day one and it made me a better player because I spent these years actually playing instead of always tweaking which I did endlessly with EVERY other amp I had !!!!!

I haven't played the JVM yet..but I heard great things about it and Timmy/Pete owned JMP-1s before..and they're sticklers for good tone.
                    I had a JVM for a while, and I've had a JMP-1 until recently. You may or may not like the tone, but as far as sheer gain amounts are concerned, you're JMP-1 will feel like a Fender.

Ok, maybe not that much, but the OD-1 channel on orange has more gain than the JMP-1 and it's still got the red on OD-1 and Orange and Red on OD-2.

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                      I've ALWAYS heard Marshall talking about "monstruous gain" or "high gain crushing distortion" and "thrash metal approved", etc. This was specially said during the DSL100 amp, and when I plugged into one, I looked around and said... what?? It's "overdrive" and in most cases it's not even really palm-muteable, even with EMG's. I mean, it works great for hard rock or maybe some kind of "light" metal, but no way for thrash or death metal.
                      Until now the Überschall is the only tube amp i ever played that hasn't a need for a distortion pedal in front of it for playing Thrash and Death Metal.
                      I even use a MT-2 in front of my Dual Rectifier which isn't exactly gain-shy.

Flo
                      http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

here's a breakdown on the models in the 9000 series:

and some more detail:
                        Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by adrenaline junkie View Post
                          I had a JVM for a while, and I've had a JMP-1 until recently. You may or may not like the tone, but as far as sheer gain amounts are concerned, you're JMP-1 will feel like a Fender.

Ok, maybe not that much, but the OD-1 channel on orange has more gain than the JMP-1 and it's still got the red on OD-1 and Orange and Red on OD-2.
                          Ahhhh..I'm following you..I can see that...bands and amps have got much "heavier" since 11-12 years ago.. I'm sure Marshall is trying to keep up with those demands..and did it right this time, the way it sounds.

I will play one next time at GC..looking forward to it.

My Uber has SICK gain..but I still like my ol' Marshall rack..they go well together.

Comment

Wow,,,,do you have any hearing or testicles left?
                            Bill's wife keeps his balls in her purse and lets him have them back every now and then when he's a good boy.

The JVM sounds pretty cool. Like many, I have a SS Marshall simply cuz I knew I wouldn't be able to crank a tube amp. You guys are giving me amp GAS which I can't feed right at this moment. I received grief from the wife today already cuz my new Jackson case arrived and she thought I'd bought another guitar so a new amp is out of the question for a while.
                            My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
                            X