New Rig Comes Together...JSX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rig Comes Together...JSX

Peavey JSX Head running through a Carvin V3 Cabinet loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s. And this thing ROCKS, baby!

So far, I've been running it bone dry: guitar-to-amp-to-cab. Nothing in between, no effects, nada.

The JSX flat out kills. I was a little worried the first day - it didn't quite seem to have the same "oomph" as I remember demo'ing in the local GC. I later pulled the back, and a couple of tubes may have wiggled a little loose in shipping. Cinched them all down, and it it was back to killer tones.

All 3 channels are very versitile. Very nice Fender-y cleans, the crunch channel gives a nice AC/DC-like groove, and the Ultra is a smoking gain-rich lead channel. I've mostly been playing with the Clean and Ultra. The controls all seem to have a real nice range to them, so there's a lot of tone options within each channel. Haven't quite dialed in "my" tone yet, but I'm getting close. I haven't dug into the Crunch as much, but will probably look to dial it into something "classic rock"-like there. So far, I've ran it with 2 different Charvels (one with Dimarzios, one with Duncans) and my Kelly (Duncans). This baby responds to different pickups and woods amazingly - each guitar's character came through clear. Also, the head seems built like a tank - it's got a heavy duty quality feel to it.

When I demo'd the JSX, I didn't like the matching JSX cab at all. The speakers seemed way too muddy for my preferences. I had tried a Mesa cab loaded with the same V30s and really loved that, although it was with a Mesa head at the time. So I decided to chance it, and try the Carvin V3 with the same speakers. It's really a perfect match for what I wanted. Seems hugely better in the mid range than the JSX cab, and doesn't have any of the JSX cab's nasty "flubby" tone down low that had turned me off before. Carvin makes great stuff.

So can you tell I'm really digging this new set-up?

Thanks to Matt's Music for yet another great deal on the JSX. You rule, Matt!

Next up: Adding effects into the rig's set-up. A Boss GT-8 is on the way. I'll also try a Boss GE-7 EQ and NS-2 through the loop. And might add a seperate wah/volume boost up front, too. Then I'll be all set.

Congrats! The GT8 will do everything all those other pedals will and more, and sound great in the JSX loop. Once you get it, let me know if you have any questions. It was a killer rig for sure.

Comment

Thanks, Pete. I've had a GT-3 for years, so the GT-8 should be pretty familiar. Not that I learned everything that was in the GT-3 to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
        Congrats! The GT8 will do everything all those other pedals will and more, and sound great in the JSX loop. Once you get it, let me know if you have any questions. It was a killer rig for sure.
        I just scored a JSX recently and would like any sort of tube suggestions. I really dig the amp and it's got that nice hotrodded marshall thing going on but I'm thinking of playing with preamp tubes to take a bit of that "edge" from the ultra channel.

Comment

Nice ..I REALLY like the JSX!!

Talk to Pete about tube advise..he's KNOWS that amp well. I know he prefers 6L6 in the JSX.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by madryan View Post
            I just scored a JSX recently and would like any sort of tube suggestions. I really dig the amp and it's got that nice hotrodded marshall thing going on but I'm thinking of playing with preamp tubes to take a bit of that "edge" from the ultra channel.
            It's the only channel on that amp that has Issues. I gave upp on my JSX due to that channel. I liked everything else about it. I may have pulled out to soon as I think about her from time to time.

It's a great amp even so. The Crunch channel is fantastic. The cleans could use something but nonetheless better then most other high gain amps I have played.

I should have tried the 6l6's in it. Hell I may pick up another one one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
              I agree with you except pedals sound better to me. The GT 8 is killer and I hope it mates well with the JSX. That right there would be a killer rig.

The level out is the key I believe to getting the GT 8 right. The JSX effects loop is adjustable so It may work alot better then my Kranks fixed level .

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah, I might retube her with 6L6s. That sounds more up my alley, tone-wise. Think I'll live with the stock EL34s for a while first, though.

Comment

Working...
                X