EL34 and 6L6 mini shootout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL34 and 6L6 mini shootout

So, with the new poweramp (Randall RT50/2) I can switch channels on the power amp like you can a channel switching preamp, so I can instantly compare tubes. Here's what I've fed the thing so far:

Ruby 6L6GCMSTR
    JJ E34L
    Ruby EL34BSTR

so far, the EL34BSTR kicks ass on the other two. More low end than the 6L6 (which I would not have expected) louder than the E34L (which is allegedly 20% more headroom and was biased higher to boot) and just plain crunched more.

I also put a pair of yellowjackets with JJEL84s for grins, but it made the amp sound thin - all of the tubes above sounded much fatter.

I have a few other sets of tubes to try, including a pair of EL34GTs and vintage 5881s, and some TAD 6L6GCs, but I may not put the 5881s in there until I measure the voltage. I'm afraid the poweramp runs too much juice to do this.

Future plans are to buy a pair of KT88 or 6550s and a pair of 6V6s (can't remember the brand, one takes high voltage well) and see how those compare to the EL34BSTR's. I can only verify how they sound in this rig, but you need a retube and can run EL34s, they might be a good idea to try.

Pete

Yup, let's keep this thread going. I'm interested in all these tubes/questions. I've got a combo amp that let's you change on the fly; it even has a switch to take you from 9 pins to 8 pins, though the maker suggests you switch to standby before doing this.

I'm running EL84s, want to run a 6V6, KT66 and KT88.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
      and a pair of 6V6s (can't remember the brand, one takes high voltage well) and see how those compare to the EL34BSTR's.
      That would be JJ 6V6's...they're cheap too.

Comment

excellent info,thanks twister
        my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

I am very interested to see where this thread goes. I have an RM100 running 2 Electro Harmonix EL34s.
          Just one more guitar!

Comment

Yeah, it's amazing how tubes sound when you can instantly A/B them versus letting them cool off, biasing them properly, etc... gives a little more time for your ears to play tricks on you if you can't compare them instantly like this power amp allows.

Comment

Very cool Pete..

I know there is no comparison when it comes to EL34 vs 5881s in c/w the Marshall 9200!!

The Marshall has PLENTY of mids and not genrally known for their low end..especially at high volume levels.

They only made the first series of 9200's with 5881s and then quickly discontinued it..for reasons beyond me..

I had a few friends that bought the 9200 w/ EL34 right after I did in '96, and I never liked their tone and neither did they..including John.

I was considering converting the Uber to 6L6 or possibly KT88..as you know.

I lucked out when I swapped the JJ 12ax7s for the much darker sounding Tung Sols with advice from the tube store..which did remedy that obnoxious mid "Honk' That I could NOT dial out for the life of me..

I think 6L6 or KT88 may be to dark with the Tung Sol preamp tubes..now I can push the mids if I want to..

The Uberschall still "honked" at high levels even with the mids completely scooped with the stock JJ's.

I could see the Tung Sols being "too dark" for some amps, but with the JJ EL34..it's a good balance..IMO.
              Last edited by horns666; 05-06-2007, 06:29 AM.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm fairly sure that 9200's shipped with 5881's for a couple years or more. The reason they used 5881's is because there just wasn't a decent supply of EL34's on the market at the time. That's the same reason M/B advised against using EL34's in the first few years of Dual Recto production......those amps can take EL34's, but they just didn't think they were reliable enough.

Comment

Are 5881 the deepest tone tubes for guitars?? The most bottom end?

Are the 5881's as clear as 6L6? 5881's where used mostly in bass amps correct??

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
                    Yup, let's keep this thread going. I'm interested in all these tubes/questions. I've got a combo amp that let's you change on the fly; it even has a switch to take you from 9 pins to 8 pins, though the maker suggests you switch to standby before doing this.

I'm running EL84s, want to run a 6V6, KT66 and KT88.

Would that be a cornford..I was waiting for a review of that amp

Comment

Originally posted by Psh511 View Post
                      Would that be a cornford..I was waiting for a review of that amp
                      Yep, sounds great. It's a small kitty, only 5 watts, but man, the difference between my SLO at 100 watts and my Carr at 28 watts is only about a 25% reduction. A 100 watter to a 10 watter is a 50% reduction. When you drop down to a 5 watter (though if I stuck a KT88 in there it would jump to 10 watts) the difference isn't all that great either. In other words, the Cornford is still very loud, and depending on the controls and tubes, it can go from Vox AC30 to Marshall very easily, a mini-Plexi. I think a lot of hard rock, 70's rock types, are using these amps in the studios because they can do those classic sounds so well without resorting to modelling amps.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                        Are 5881 the deepest tone tubes for guitars?? The most bottom end?

Are the 5881's as clear as 6L6? 5881's where used mostly in bass amps correct??
                        Real 5881s are actually lower output than a 6L6GC and can handle less voltage. I have some tung sol 5881's here from the 50s, and they have a real nice woody 'knock' to them... think of the first ZZ Top albums when Gibbons was using a tweed bassman and his vintage Les Paul.

A higher output tube like a KT88 or 6550 should provide a deeper, tighter low end. If your amp just runs 6L6s, might want to check with your manufacturer to be sure you can upgrade to KT88s or 6550s without any damage to your amp. Also, you won't get as much of a benefit from the KT88s or 6550s if your amp doesn't put out a healthy amount of voltage.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                          I'm fairly sure that 9200's shipped with 5881's for a couple years or more. The reason they used 5881's is because there just wasn't a decent supply of EL34's on the market at the time. That's the same reason M/B advised against using EL34's in the first few years of Dual Recto production......those amps can take EL34's, but they just didn't think they were reliable enough.

In a Johnny Carson voice..

Really, I did not know that..

well then, I knew thee had to be a reason..
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

All EL84s in both of my Rivera TBRs- started using them when I had a '71 plexi 50 watt Aspen Pittman helped me with....that amp had Jim Marshall's signature inside the cab as final inspector!! Wish I still had it, but it doesn't even lick the feet of these Riveras!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Lizardman View Post
                              All EL84s in both of my Rivera TBRs- started using them when I had a '71 plexi 50 watt Aspen Pittman helped me with....that amp had Jim Marshall's signature inside the cab as final inspector!! Wish I still had it, but it doesn't even lick the feet of these Riveras!
                              Sure you don't mean EL34s?

Comment

Working...
                              X