favorite KT88 or 6550 tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite KT88 or 6550 tube?

Title says it all... what do you guys like?

KT88 - much thickness. They're just soooo fucking loud
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

gotta say 6550
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

KT88, there is not much comparision there. Feeling the thunder that is my VHT2150, it says it all.

Comment

Gotta say tho, it all depends on how you get your sound. If you get it through power tube saturation, as many EL34/6550 people do, you'll kill small animals in the area before the KT88 amps get to distorting much.

I get all my sound through the preamp really, and just want the beefy authoritative sound my KT88 lend to it. They have a cool distortion, but it's so loud by then, it's way too much.

So, again, sorta hard to compare considering that aspect. Guess it all just depends on how you use it.

Comment

Sorry, should have clarified - any brands in particular? I want to try something that has more whomp to it than the EL34s just for the sake of something different tonally. I've seen several different brands of KT88s and 6550s - what are you guys using?

Pete

Comment

Winged C 6550's
              "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Pete, if you want something with a little more whomp to it than the EL34, try the KT77. It's basically a beefed up EL34 with more low end.

As far as KT88s, I sometimes use a Svetlana in my Univavle.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I really like the JJ kt 88 great bottom end to it. As far as the 6550 the Tung-Sol is the best going to my ears.

Comment

I only had one amp with 6550's ..a Ampeg Lee Jackson VL-100 (endorsed by Zakk Wylde at the time)..it smoked the one I had next to it loaded with EL34s..which really smoked because it caught on fire.

In that amp the 6550s hade a much better and tighter low end, but still wasn't much when compared to my 5150 that I A/B'd..that was a long time ago.

I never heard a better power amp than John's VHT 2150 w/ KT88's..the low end and girth is sick!

When John and I were together..we really didn't need a bass player..ummm you wouldn't hear him anywhoo.

KT88s..for sure!
                    Last edited by horns666; 05-06-2007, 06:01 AM.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I used to use Tung Sol 6550's in a couple amps, namely Marshalls.
                      I still have a few sets about here.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                        I used to use Tung Sol 6550's in a couple amps, namely Marshalls.
                        I still have a few sets about here.
                        I know the Tung Sols is a good balance to EL34s in my Uber. It may be too dark for some amps with 6L6, KT88, 6550 and etc..

But I would assume they would definitely beef a Marshall loaded with EL34. They have more output and low end, with much less mids. Marshalls are generally all mids for the most part...so I would definetly try 'em.
                        Last edited by horns666; 05-06-2007, 06:38 AM.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

6550's. Been happy with them in my 2203 for years and years. I've yet to try KT88's in any amp.
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey John/Cleveland Metal, what KT88s are you running in the VHT poweramp?

Comment

Right now, Winged C SED Svetlana, which is what I have ran for years now.

http://tubestore.com/svetlanakt88.html

I'd use pretty much SED Svetlana for just about any power tube I'd buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X