Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korg Pandora and other "play along" devices

Hey all -
    I may be getting into a cover band after quite a few years off (almost 6 yrs exactly since last time i played out)...
    I am kind of limited for volume at home (used to just jam along to the stereo), and the home office is now an actual office and is not just my music room anymore, so I can't even really jam out in there.

I was wondering if there are other portable devices similar to the Korg Pandora that
    1.) provide amp modeling and
    2.) allow audio input (Cd player, mp3 player/ipod, etc) to make learning tunes by ear easier and faster

Portablilty would be cool (i mean like Pandora size vs a POD for example), but not a neccessity. headphone jack would probably be standard, but a speaker out would be a cool option, and a looper or phrase trainer option would be cool...

Anyone have any recommendations and/or experiences they want to share?
    thanks

click this :http://www.tascam.com/Products/CD-GT...i_mustaine.jpg

Comment

This is just begging for a photoshop...

Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

how about the zoom g2? but it does not have a speaker out. But it can be foot-switched.
        Sam

Comment

Thanks guys (no thanks to Dave M though!! lol)

Comment

I believe then new pod 2.0 floor pedal is pretty much what your looking for.

Comment

I have the tascam Guitar Trainer CD2 or whatever it's called. It's pretty good but the guitar sounds suck. Well I can't get a really good heavy distortion anyway, but clean/overdrive sounds arent' bad. The looping and slowing down functions are really helpfull for figureing out songs. They just introduced the same thing but it's for MP3s and is smaller. This may be easier if you have a lot of MP3s but if you just want to pop a CD in the older one may be better. It eats batteries so I use high capacity rechargeable litiums with it.

I have also used the Korg unit. It definately sounds better, but is limited to only 30 seconds record or an aux in.

For just figuring out songs I think the tascam unit is better.

karl

Comment

I have a Zoom G2 and it is really good for room practice and playing along tunes but you can't record and slow clips on it. Good quality, decent amp modelling, very portable (unless you want the one with the wah pedal and USB port), intuitive interface. Behind the looks and price of an effects pedal hides a powerful modelling unit. Also works on batteries if you need.

Comment

memphis and pointy, to loop songs, you can download winamp and a plugin for them called loopmaster I think. For slowing down the songs, you can use another plugin called pacemaker. They are all free. No need to pay big bucks for the tascam. PM me if you want info on how to enable the plugins. :cheers:
                  Sam

Comment

Fwiw, both the Korg and the Tascam unit are perfect for long road trips. I have a little Steinberger spirit as well. So the kids are blasting disney movies on DVD (i don't have a headphone setup for them), and i'm sitting in the passenger seat jamming along to CDs or figuring out songs. It's pretty cool!
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I have the Korg Pandora PX4 and I love it. I run it through my computer speakers or headphones depending on the time of day. It has an aux input and can record phrases to loop and/or slow them down. It also has a little drum machine with a few simple beats to it. You can record a progression for like 4 or 8 measures then practice over the top of it. Great little unit!

Comment

Thanks guys.
                        This is more for killin' time on a tour bus w/out killing my wallet or braincells !
                        It'd be for downtime between load-in and the set, long road trips, or just days off. Thinking the smallest Pandora may be the way to go for this/... that would allow jamming in the bunk if things on the bus are tight
                        Thanks !

Comment

Working...
                        X