Boogie Masters out there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boogie Masters out there...

So, last week, I got a hold of a Roadster. First of all, this amp is just a blast. When I play at home, I play stuff that is much different then when I am playing with other people. The problem is that I am having a small issue tightening up the distortion for more Progressive/Thrash metal type tone (Nevermore, Arch-Enemy, Lamb of God, Iced Earth)

Now, I am new to the whole tube realm and I want to get away from using my Digitech 2101. But, since I cannot quite get the tone that I am looking for, I am forced to use the Roadster as strictly a poweramp stage. I did add a Tung-Sol to the V1 stage which seemed to help a a ton but, it is not quite there when I am playing more hardcore stuff.

So, to the point....

What is the holy grail setup to be running infront of the amp and in the loop inorder to get that tight rhythm tone that people seem to be getting from the recto series. Could some of you Mesa Thrash/Powermetal gods please inform me of my major malfunction?

-Nate

Sorry if you guys see this message on the boogie board. Just looking for as many tips as possible.
    Last edited by nateb; 05-07-2007, 03:39 PM.
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Simple. A Maxon OD-808 (or AnalogMan modded TS9), or some other TS- variant, and dial for a while. You'll be fine.
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by eaeolian View Post
      Simple. A Maxon OD-808 (or AnalogMan modded TS9), or some other TS- variant, and dial for a while. You'll be fine.
      +1
      The od-808 is the "go to pedal" for what you describe
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I thought Metallica, Megadeth, and most 80's heavy metal was the "tight" kind and hence a Boogie suits the style. For In flames, Arch enemy type, its a "loose" configuration and a 5150 or Krank is the right amp for that style.
        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by eaeolian View Post
          Thanks for the answer, if I could bother you with a few more questions please...

If you were going to pick the best one, you would say that OD-808, or is there a better one out there. It seems like that is the one that is called "The best starting point."

Do you run it in front of the amp in the loop(I am assuming that it is in front, but I have been know to be dumb as fuck sometimes)?

Which channel? Do you run it right along with your solo channel?

What are some typical settings that people run? Just like to have some sort of starting point.

-Nate

Comment

yes, an OD pedal always goes in the front of the amp. It "pushes" the preamp tubes into saturation. Maxon was supposedly the OEM for the Ibanez TS-808 ( the holy grail OD pedal). so, its basically the same thing. Kirk hammet, reduces the gain on his dual rec and used the ts-808's gain at high settings. So, its all up to you how you can use it. keeping level low you should be good to go on any OD pedal. But using a OD pedal might mean you need a Noise suppressor too after the pedal. But cant tell for sure.
            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
              I thought Metallica, Megadeth, and most 80's heavy metal was the "tight" kind and hence a Boogie suits the style. For In flames, Arch enemy type, its a "loose" configuration and a 5150 or Krank is the right amp for that style.
              That was the 'Mark' series - Roadsters (either one) are a whole different beast.
              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

oh! cool!
                Sam

Comment

Hey Nate, before you invest the big bucks on either the OD-808 or the TS, get a Digitech Bad monkey. Its only $30 and gives you a very good idea of how a Tube screamer will sound for u. Its even green in color
                  Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                    Hey Nate, before you invest the big bucks on either the OD-808 or the TS, get a Digitech Bad monkey. Its only $30 and gives you a very good idea of how a Tube screamer will sound for u. Its even green in color
                    Cool... thanks for the suggestion. I will head over to G-center and pick one up and give it a whirl.

-Nate

Comment

Nate, try putting a graphic EQ in the loop and adjusting the mids lower and the low and high end up. You'll end up with a "V" shape and a tone staright from the Temple of Boom! I like the TS or Bad Monkey in the front, too, but a good EQ will help you dial in exactly what you need. Good luck. Z

Comment

+1 to what Zoner said.

I am always amazed at what a difference a eq makes. I have a "cost-effective" suggestion for that too. a Danelectro graphic equalizer. Best low-noise bang-for-the buck pedal IMO. But switching the damn cute tiny pedal can be a pain with a round button instead of a flat switching panel.
                        Sam

Comment

OK... Status update.

I went ahead and tried Emperor_black's idea. It absolutely fucken kills right now. Totally in your face distortion and presence to it. I owe you a beer man. I am going to go buy a Maxon next. I got the type of distortion that I am looking for. Kinda ironic that a 30.00 pedal infront of a 1900.00 amp turned it into a fuckin monster.

Zoner, I am actually in the process of testing out some other things like you decribed. I actually have a rane pe-15 that I am throwing into the loop and screwing around with the mid-scoop and see if I can dial it in a little further. I will let you know.

One of these days, I got to get a hold of a Mic and record this thing. =)

Thanks for all of the help, it is getting me there quickly )

-Nate

Comment

glad I could help. Rock on!!
                            Sam

Comment

This is almost humorous to me, in the 80's, we used to do the opposite... a gradual 'A' curve with a 6 band is what we put in front of some amps as a boost. I'll have to give this a try with my Mesa tho. The MK3 has always had plenty of gain so I really had no need to slam it with anything.

Originally posted by Zoner View Post
                              Nate, try putting a graphic EQ in the loop and adjusting the mids lower and the low and high end up. You'll end up with a "V" shape and a tone staright from the Temple of Boom! I like the TS or Bad Monkey in the front, too, but a good EQ will help you dial in exactly what you need. Good luck. Z
                              Last edited by charvelguy; 05-08-2007, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X