No announcement yet.

Boogie Masters out there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is it with you guys and pedals? these amps have shitloads of gain/fuzz/distortion/grind/ass hair whatever you want to call it. i do not recommend a hard V on the eq either, more like a grin or smile. if you're gonna do all that just go buy an MGDFX and save $1500
    Last edited by buzzsaww; 05-09-2007, 06:32 AM.
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
      I thought Metallica, Megadeth, and most 80's heavy metal was the "tight" kind and hence a Boogie suits the style. For In flames, Arch enemy type, its a "loose" configuration and a 5150 or Krank is the right amp for that style.
      5150 is a lot more tighter than Recto/Roadking/Roadster series
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by buzzsaww View Post
        what is it with you guys and pedals?
        Quiet Grandpa! What are you trying to do? knock me off my cloud? I was very skeptical about using overdrives infront of an already high gain amp. My only problem now is getting a switching system that will bypass it when I goto a clean channel. This is going to get a little fucked setupwise.

-Nate
        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by buzzsaww View Post
          what is it with you guys and pedals? these amps have shitloads of gain/fuzz/distortion/grind/ass hair whatever you want to call it. i do not recommend a hard V on the eq either, more like a grin or smile. if you're gonna do all that just go buy an MGDFX and save $1500
          the typical setup is have the gain on the pedal turned pretty much all the way down and the volume turned pretty much all the way up (and the tone knob set to taste); then you run the gain on the amp a bit lower than you would otherwise if you weren't boosting.

the end result is more saturation/compression coupled with a bit of a bass cut and a mid boost - together this tightens things up very nicely

Comment

The Stiletto and Mark IV are tighter than the Recto.

Comment

OK... just to follow up and keep a little infolog running....

I plugged in a 5 band rane parametric EQ into the effects loop and pumped up the master level along with lowered/notched 650Hz and it seems to tighten it up a bit. I have done this without the boost infront of the amp. I need to mess with the high end a little bit. I will admit that this might be a little bit easier with just a graphic EQ.

We shall see...

-Nate

Comment

don't forget that mesas are not the most user friendly amps. They take a while to get that tone, but once you do... ahhhhh

I've had my Mark IV for 2 months now... and It seems to sound better everyday

Comment

With the Boogie amps, keep in mind that the pots are not linear ... as in, when you are turning it up, 2 is more than 1, 3 is more than 2 etc etc ... when you get up to the top end of the knob ... you may experience that 7 is greater than 8 .. it all depends on how the other pots on the channel are adjusted ... look at the spec's in the owners manual on the amps, boogie does a pretty good job explaining it ... I own a Boogie Nomad 100 2x12 combo, and it took me quite some time to get the hang of how interactive all the controls are to each other .....

Best of Luck

~k
                  My gear can be seen here

http://www.myspace.com/kevinspeace

or here ....
                  http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/kevinspeace/

Comment

So, I got a few people sending me links to a OD808 on craigslist in the Bay Area, thanks all of you people. I took a trip over to the guy and grabbed it with Darksaga and we benched it over at the house. I can see why you guys say that is the be-all-end-all. Really... that made a huge difference over the bad monkey. Final show so far is...

Boosting with the od808 in the front of the Roadster
                    Removing a little his with a Rane 5 band parametric in the loop
                    Followed by effects and scooping ~650Hz with a G-Major

We did this with just a single Genz-Benz G-flex cab at the house. The night before last, I move a 4x12 rectifier and another g-flex cab over to the practice space and it sounded great before we threw in the final coffin nail. So, it should just be over the top tonight.

It's dead Jim, the quest is over, I am throwing away the packing material =)

Now it is just down to the switching system.

-Nate

Comment

Radial Big Shot EFX switcher- 2 FX loops,hard bypass,ground lift,ISO transformer,polarity reversal switch.....check it out ..oh yeah around $80.00 when on sale.....dead quiet when set properly

Comment

Bad Monkey is a good pusher..it will add some mids though. The Scott's Crispy Cream is a killer pusher as well...never played one but I have heard clips of it pushing a MkIII and it was MURDER.

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                        X