Groove Tubes ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groove Tubes ???

Part of the reason I want to replace the tubes is static sound I keep getting. Some of you have helped on another post with that issue. The other reason is I want a little more drive and "harsh/dirty" sound. And thats how I presented it to the rep.

So I have heard some of you all talk about groove tubes. Here is what a Groove Tube rep suggested for my amp. Peavey Classic 50 212.

These are great amps that push their EL84 quad pretty hard.

I use the EL84S in a 4-7 rating in these amps - http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1687

Your amp is cathode biased, self biasing. No adjustment is required.

For the front end the SAG-MHG kit would be perfect - It may be called "Marshall" but it is picked by users of any amp looking for a more agressive tone http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1737

Never been particularly impressed with GT. Basically rebranded somewhat overpriced tubes sourced from elsewhere. At least, they do some testing to get them matched and some amount of QC etc, so that is cool. Nonetheless, there are lotsa better brands out there for comparable pricing or less maybe. Not to say that GT's are "bad". Just pricey.

You may also pose your questions to the Tubestore.com guys and see what they offer as well.

Being a fixed bias amp, you probably notice some differences in tubes with different bias voltage (as he explained) as far as hotter or colder tubes in relation to your fixed bias voltage. You'll notice some tonal differences for sure, as the colder a tube runs, the less musical they seem to be (less even harmonics I'll guess), and can seem harsh and somewhat loose (and last longer). A tube running hotter, will be tighter, more concise and musical sounding (more even harmonics), and not last quite as long.

When you start talking about what they do when pushed, well, you wont hear that character unless you're cranking it to saturation. But,the previous mentioned stuff, you'll hear at lower volumes for sure.

I've heard 5150s with the bias mod that allowed them to be biased to the tube and running the tubes hot, they are definitely MUCH nicer sounding than a stock "fixed bias" 5150 with cold running factory tubes.

BTW, I'm thinking "self biasing" is somewhat of a misnomer. I'd say fixed bias is more correct. Chances are it's running very cold from the factory to preserve tube life and increase reliability.
    Last edited by Cleveland Metal; 05-10-2007, 11:20 PM.

Comment

thanks for the link and info. I have no idea what I am going to do. I test drove some Randall amps yesterday and was not all that impressed. I think one of them was a RG75 and the other was a half stack that the sales man said would blow away any other stack playing metal. Of coarse the only thing he sells is Randall so I guess he has to try. To bad in his little teaching area he had a Marshall stack set up with his personal gear. To each his own. Thanks for all the help. I just need to decide if I am keeping this amp or not. I like it a lot but want just a little different sound.

Comment

Last time I bought tubes was from Bob at Eurotubes. Had a good experience...he knows his stuff and will consult with you on the best tubes for you based upon what sound you are looking for:

JJ tubes made a big improvement in my Mesa Boogie DC-3.
        "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

Comment

As much as I dislike modelers, bang for buck, the Line 6 stuff (spyder etc) is sorta hard to beat for around the house low volume fun. Might be cool to try.

I'd say he's a bit off base on the Randall comment.

Comment

Although Eddie used them in his 5150's..#2 "hard" 6L6 at the time..

With the avdice of Mike Z (DR Z), I ordered a matching set 6L6 # 6..and discovered immediately that the 5150 sounded like shit..I wasted much money!!!

The stock Sylvania 6L6s sound MUCH better to me.

I second the Line 6 is an excellent choice for bedroom and home practicing/shredding..you can do anything you wish with that amp..I do!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I really wonder if Eddie actually used them other than signing an endorsement "mention in mags" agreement with them, haha... I'll imagine he wasn't too "in the know" of what was up with his amps by the time 5150s came out, or even cared to be. When you're rich, that's what techs are for. "Don't bore me with the details, I'm busy partying and gettin laid".

Surprised Mike didn't wanna put a bias mod in that and do it right. They're biased cold stock and the wrong bias voltage tube (seriously cold running) in it could probably sound pretty yukky.

Seems that makes a big diff in in fine tuning those amps, as well as the MESA's I've heard.
              Last edited by Cleveland Metal; 05-11-2007, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                I really wonder if Eddie actually used them other than signing an endorsement "mention in mags" agreement with them, haha... I'll imagine he wasn't too "in the know" of what was up with his amps by the time 5150s came out, or even cared to be. When you're rich, that's what techs are for. "Don't bore me with the details, I'm busy partying and gettin laid".

Surprised Mike didn't wanna put a bias mod in that and do it right. They're biased cold stock and the wrong bias voltage tube (seriously cold running) in it could probably sound pretty yukky.

Seems that makes a big diff in in fine tuning those amps, as well as the MESA's I've heard.
                Yeah I was strongly urged by Mike.."Yeah man , just pop them in.." Mike was the one that told me about Ed..how he knows..I dunno..

But I did meet Joe Walsh at his shop..I didn't even know it was him..he was just fuggin' 'round ..so I dunno..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Also try www.dougstubes.com for recommendations. Doug isn't loyal to any brand and will tell you what will work in each stage and what results to expect.

I've been using GT's since 1982. Very good tubes overall.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Problem with groove tubes is they buy different stuff and rebrand it.

I like to know what I'm getting. And you can get better tubes for less or the same dough.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                      Problem with groove tubes is they buy different stuff and rebrand it.

I like to know what I'm getting. And you can get better tubes for less or the same dough.

But Zakk endorses them now, so they MUST be awesome...eh?

All his Marshall 800s are loaded with them..for the love of baby Jesus in damp Huggies...

There's a add with him holding them and everything...very impressive!!!

Comment

Just to add to the confusion, my amp is a Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 2x12 combo, not known at ALL for being a high gain amp on any channel. I run Sovtec 12ax7lps in the pre-amp (which is a spiral element, very musical and round sounding, not to mention they rate quite high when it comes to 'lack of noise') and JJ Tesla 6L6's on the power side ... I could honestly say, changing all the tubes at one time added 25-30% more usable gain. Now the red channel is real hot in comparison to stock. Dont get me wrong, dual recto it is not ... but, plenty hot enough for what I need.

~K
                        My gear can be seen here

http://www.myspace.com/kevinspeace

or here ....
                        http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/kevinspeace/

Comment

In some amps, preamp tubes do A LOT.

My CAE is the same way... Did a lot of tube crafting to get tones and crunch.

Comment

[quote=Cleveland Metal;924673]In some amps, preamp tubes do A LOT. quote]

Every amp manufacturer and model can and normally are very different as to how they react tonally and gain-wise with different tubes. Heck, I have seen some amps that are the same model even have a considerable amount of variance between them, that IS audible to the ear, not just reading a multi-meter. I always thought pre-amp tubes = warmth, not gain as well, till up to about 10 years ago when I purchased my ADA MP-2 and started playing with the 12ax7's in it ... wow, what a difference I observed ...
                            My gear can be seen here

http://www.myspace.com/kevinspeace

or here ....
                            http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/kevinspeace/

Comment

Working...
                            X