Carvin Legacy Cabs any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin Legacy Cabs any good?

loaded with V30's but are they good cabs?
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Yeah, they're pretty damn solid. Front loaded, sound tight, built well. I love the metal grill... so easy to position a mic on the fly.

Comment

I have owned a Greenback Legacy cab and my band mate currently owns a V30 Legacy cab. The build quality is very nice IMO, except the handles are the worst ever. I think they sound like crap though.

Comment

Originally posted by thebisch View Post
        I have owned a Greenback Legacy cab and my band mate currently owns a V30 Legacy cab. The build quality is very nice IMO, except the handles are the worst ever. I think they sound like crap though.
        how so?
        what's wong with their sound?

Comment

The "Handles" sound like crap?

Comment

They Suck!! Havent you heard Vai play thru one? What does he know about good tone anyway. :ROTF:

Comment

You can score an Avatar for less money... Freaking awesome cab.

Comment

well I was thinking about Avatar, but I just scored a Legacy top (with V30's) for $285.00 on the Bay.
                I figure if I don't like the cab I'll get 2 empty 2X12 cabs from Avatar and load them with the V30's in the Legacy top.
                or if I can get one of those new Vintage 4X12 tops empty

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                  how so?
                  what's wong with their sound?
                  I find them to be harsh and bright sounding, and sometimes thin also. They lack bloom and woodieness to my ears. The handles suck because they cut into your hands.

Comment

I have been using one with my ENGL Powerball for a couple years, and used it with the Legacy head before that and have had nothing but great results with tone and durability. Never had the handles cut into my hand either.

I will probably buy the ENGL XXL Pro cab when i buy my SE later this year, just to see what the hype is all about.

Comment

thanks, that's good to hear.

Comment

I find them to be harsh and bright sounding, and sometimes thin also. They lack bloom and woodieness to my ears. The handles suck because they cut into your hands.
                        Interesting. Which amp(s) have you tried it with? What cabinets have you A/B'd it with?
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                          Interesting. Which amp(s) have you tried it with? What cabinets have you A/B'd it with?
                          Heads I own...
                          '64 6G6-B Bassman
                          Legacy head
                          Marshall 2205
                          Laney Pro Tube 30

Additional amps I have tried it with...
                          Marshall JMP (cant' remember if it was a 50 or 100)
                          Soldano SLO-100
                          Soldano Deccatone
                          Peavey Ultra 60
                          Bedrock (don't know the model)
                          ADA MP1/SS power amp
                          Randall RM-100
                          Some newer Laney 3 or 4 channel head (I don't remember the model)
                          Line 6 Duotone

Cabs that have been ABed...
                          Old Sound City with mystery speakers.
                          JCM 800 bottom 4x12 with mystery speakers from the Sound City
                          '74 Marshall slant with Black Backs
                          '74 Marshall slant with English RI Greenbacks
                          Late '70s/early '80s Marshall with 25 watters (covers missing)
                          '72 Marshall slant with original Greenbacks
                          JCM 800 slant with 75 watters
                          JCM 900 slant with 75 watters
                          Mesa wide body 1x12 with Black Shadow 90

Comment

Yowza! So which cab sounded best out of all those?
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                              Yowza! So which cab sounded best out of all those?
                              The funny thing is that beat to hell old Sound City with mystery speakers is the best sounding cab ever! It is a VERY heavy, front loaded, particle board cab. The JCM 800 bottom with the same speakers has a tiny bit of the magic still. The Sound City has been within my circle of friends since like '88 or so. Right now ManyAxes has the JCM 800 and another friend has the Sound City cab sitting in his basement empty.

As usual, I don't seem to care for any cabs with Celestion 75s.

In general I use Marshalls with greenbacks. My regular giging cab is the beat down '74 with RI Greenies. My pretty clean '72 with original Grennbacks stays home for the most part.

Oh, I almost forgot...I also had a old metal grill verticle Mesa Boogie half open back 2x12 with a Black Shadow 90 in the top and some un marked speaker in the bottom. That was a pretty good sounding cab also. I sold that to a guy at work who was down and out, and needed a cab...

Comment

Working...
                              X