Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedals

I need to invest in a pedal. My buddy Joe Currie had a nice Digitech pedal, but I don't know what kind of it was. So, I'm basically at the scratch board, I play a lot of Jazz and Metal.. Love Jeff Beck, Chuck Schuldiner, Jimi Hendrix.. I don't know what htey used for pedals, if any...
    Ideas?
    -- The Midnighter
    Administrate!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Those pedals Herman is using in this video are quite amazing

Comment

Whats your budget? And what type of pedal are you looking for? Distortion/Overdrive, a complete pedal board, what?

Comment

Well, I'd say $400 if it's the best pedal in the world. I'd kind of rather somewhere in the $100-200 range perhaps. Distortion is really fun to mess around with, especially with my obsession with Chuck Schuldiner. I wonder what kind of pedal he used?
        -- The Midnighter
        Administrate!

Comment

As far as stuff that's currently on the market, I'll suggest the Boss ME-50. I just gigged with mine for the first time (into a tube power amp) and it worked out great. It's $300US, and considering that any decent stompbox costs $100 to begin with, it's worth it.

I was able to get a good Death tone with my old ART Xtreme, including a chorus effect very similar to Chuck's, but they are hard to find in decent condition and parts are no longer available. The ME-50 is strictly based on pedals, mostly Boss with a few others (Marshall Guv'nor, MXR Distortion+, etc.), without any amp models or speaker emulation.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNLfa1VPwo

Now that was funny...

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNLfa1VPwo

My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                As far as stuff that's currently on the market, I'll suggest the Boss ME-50. I just gigged with mine for the first time (into a tube power amp) and it worked out great. It's $300US, and considering that any decent stompbox costs $100 to begin with, it's worth it.

I was able to get a good Death tone with my old ART Xtreme, including a chorus effect very similar to Chuck's, but they are hard to find in decent condition and parts are no longer available. The ME-50 is strictly based on pedals, mostly Boss with a few others (Marshall Guv'nor, MXR Distortion+, etc.), without any amp models or speaker emulation.
                +1. If you want just straight forward easy to use effects without amp and speaker modeling, but without owning a pedal board, the boss ME-50 is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Maikeru View Post
                  Distortion is really fun to mess around with, especially with my obsession with Chuck Schuldiner. I wonder what kind of pedal he used?
                  I believe he used a chorus pedal, but I think he only used the distortion from his amps (Marshall Valvestate 8100) and his DiMarzio X2N pickups which are pretty hot.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Crapola. I cannot seem to find a Marshall Valvestate 8100 amp anywhere on the internet for sale. ='( I have his X2N pup though. I'd like to find out what kind of chorus petal he used exactily, because damn... could he ever use it. <3
                    -- The Midnighter
                    Administrate!

Comment

Chucks Chorus

I remember reading that he mainly used the distortion from his amps and the Chorus he used sparingly. The pickups he liked because he liked to be able to actually hear the pick on his strings.

Also, on emptywords.org, there is a great guitarworld (I think) tribute posted about Chuck with lots of stuff from people who worked with him musically quoted in there. Thought since you like Chuck so much, you might be interested...

Comment

Thanks for the tip Anothersomeone, I already read over emptywords.org a few times xD I'm glad he only used the distortion from the his amp, that means less money to spend - Yahoo!

Does anyone know anywhere I could find a Marshall Valvestate 8100 amp, then?
                        -- The Midnighter
                        Administrate!

Comment

Wasn't there also a Valvestate Bi-Chorus or something like that? I can't remember if it was the 8200 or had a totally different model number.

The thing is, you have to consider the production of the albums. How many Death albums were recorded at Morrissound <sp?> Studios with mics or mic preamps and analog recording equipment that aren't documented? The "ideal" metal tone from that era was a lot different from what is popular today, and I have to believe that a lot of that was due to recording techniques used by the engineers of the day. I wouldn't worry about getting an 8100 so much as EQing properly. The first time I heard Death, I thought that the tone was awful, but I eventually came to appreciate how everything fit together in the mix. If you set your mind to it, you could probably come really close with a Metal Zone, a cheap EQ and chorus.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                            Wasn't there also a Valvestate Bi-Chorus or something like that? I can't remember if it was the 8200 or had a totally different model number.
                            Yeah, there was the 8200 Bi-Chorus stereo head which was 100 watts per side, and the 8280 Bi-Chorus 2x12 combo which was 80 watts per side.

I have the original stereo chorus 8240 2x12 combo which is 40 watts per side. The old 8100- 8200 Valvestate series is great.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Alright, so any recommendations for either of the 3 Inazone?
                              -- The Midnighter
                              Administrate!

Comment

Working...
                              X