No announcement yet.

Don't Shoot Me: GT8 v. XTL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMHO if the GT-8 had a USB port (like the GT pro does) and a cd/mp3 input jack, it would be officially THE PERFECT multi-fx pedal.
    Sam

Comment

No USB on the GT8?....ugh!!!....I'm not going to buy that thing now, what year is this. I have midi-usb to control my Vamp2 and my old midi cables are controlling the 2120 but I'm not going to buy another usb-midi to control the GT8, that's crazy in this day and age for a high end piece of gear.

The best thing when I first plugged in the XTL was connecting to Line6 and getting all the latest updates and firmware via USB.

I'll wait for the GT9 or whatever they call the next one or maybe see if Line 6 release a new XTL with more Vetta power in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
        No USB on the GT8?....ugh!!!....I'm not going to buy that thing now, what year is this. I have midi-usb to control my Vamp2 and my old midi cables are controlling the 2120 but I'm not going to buy another usb-midi to control the GT8, that's crazy in this day and age for a high end piece of gear.

The best thing when I first plugged in the XTL was connecting to Line6 and getting all the latest updates and firmware via USB.

I'll wait for the GT9 or whatever they call the next one or maybe see if Line 6 release a new XTL with more Vetta power in it.

Just curious... what would you need a USB port for on the GT-8? It doesn't have editing software. The only thing you can do via your PC is save your files.
        The GT-8 is primarily a rig intended to be used live.

Comment

John, there IS a editing software. You hook up the USB/midi cable, open the software, import the sound, tweak it using the GUI and send it back to the GT-8. You can then write it permanently. The only thing I can see doing with the USB would be recording using a software like audacity. but if your comp has a line in, you can send the line out of the gt-8 and record on your comp too. Its not a big deal.

on the line6 devices you NEED a USB because the user interface is not as easy as a gt-8's. Also, the display is a joke. Reminds me of my 10 year old mp3 player with that 'difficult to read' display.
          Sam

Comment

If it's available, I like to edit on the pc, much easier than the front of any device. Roland should look at USB and PC editing out of the box for their next GT. Easier to get firmware updates without needing a midi cable, USB is so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
              John, there IS a editing software. You hook up the USB/midi cable, open the software, import the sound, tweak it using the GUI and send it back to the GT-8. You can then write it permanently. The only thing I can see doing with the USB would be recording using a software like audacity. but if your comp has a line in, you can send the line out of the gt-8 and record on your comp too. Its not a big deal.

on the line6 devices you NEED a USB because the user interface is not as easy as a gt-8's. Also, the display is a joke. Reminds me of my 10 year old mp3 player with that 'difficult to read' display.

I agree with the above but its easier to edit onboard with the GT-8. That free 3rd party software pretty much stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
                If it's available, I like to edit on the pc, much easier than the front of any device. Roland should look at USB and PC editing out of the box for their next GT. Easier to get firmware updates without needing a midi cable, USB is so much better.
                I agree with that too... but with that said, the GT8 smokes the XTL in every way except for PC editing. I can certainly live with that and that is coming from a FIRM Vetta user.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  I agree with that too... but with that said, the GT8 smokes the XTL in every way except for PC editing. I can certainly live with that and that is coming from a FIRM Vetta user.
                  +1

Found the link to the GT-8 Patch editor for PC

this editor was apparently written by one guy whose screen name is MrSleepy on the bossgtcentral forums. Line6 edit looks like a toy in front of this. :ROTF:

Pretty sure many know about this, but for those who dont...this is a exe, you can just run, no need to install anything unlike the line6 software and monkey, donkey, what not. Connect the gt-8 to a USB port of your computer using a Midi/USB cable and configure your GT-8 to send Midi signals on all the channels. I am a Midi noob but referring to the Midi section in the GT-8 manual, I was able to figure out the connections very easily. I think by default, everything's set.

Once you have the connection right, just click the green "up" arrow on the editor and the patch you are editing on the gt-8 uploads to the editor. as you edit your patch on your comptuer, you can still have your headphones plugged into the gt-8 and listen to the changes. Once you are done, press the green download arrow and your patch is transferred from your pc to the gt-8. Write it to your fav location. That's it !! For backing up, you can use the same software and save all your patches on your comp.
                  Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                    +1

Found the link to the GT-8 Patch editor for PC

this editor was apparently written by one guy whose screen name is MrSleepy on the bossgtcentral forums. Line6 edit looks like a toy in front of this. :ROTF:

Pretty sure many know about this, but for those who dont...this is a exe, you can just run, no need to install anything unlike the line6 software and monkey, donkey, what not. Connect the gt-8 to a USB port of your computer using a Midi/USB cable and configure your GT-8 to send Midi signals on all the channels. I am a Midi noob but referring to the Midi section in the GT-8 manual, I was able to figure out the connections very easily. I think by default, everything's set.

Once you have the connection right, just click the green "up" arrow on the editor and the patch you are editing on the gt-8 uploads to the editor. as you edit your patch on your comptuer, you can still have your headphones plugged into the gt-8 and listen to the changes. Once you are done, press the green download arrow and your patch is transferred from your pc to the gt-8. Write it to your fav location. That's it !! For backing up, you can use the same software and save all your patches on your comp.
                    I have that editor. Its just a patch saver. The XTL editor is sick. Its fantastic. All the Line 6 editing is.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      I have that editor. Its just a patch saver. The XTL editor is sick. Its fantastic. All the Line 6 editing is.
                      You can also make changes in your sounds 'real time' on the screen like the XTL software, it's just not as easy to use.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                        You can also make changes in your sounds 'real time' on the screen like the XTL software, it's just not as easy to use.

Pete
                        Yea, I just saw that one. Not bad.. but not that good either.

Comment

I owned the GT 8 and just got a friend into one a few days ago. We played it threw a Fender Twin amp and man, thats where it belongs. We had that thing sounded great. I was shocked as it sounded much better on the twin then it did on my amp. We wired it right out front of the amp, before so got a really good clear clean going and went crazy with the GT 8.

If I had an amp that I only wanted to run it out front then the GT 8 I would still own. It's really hard to get it setup for both your preamps and it's own with the 4 cable method. I could get my clean to sound fantastic but my drive channel got mussy. So I went back to pedals but miss the Gt8 for all it could do.
                          Such a killer floor processor.

Comment

I have both, except I have the rack version of the GT-8 (the GT-Pro). The GT wins out slightly, but I find that whichever one I haven't plugged into in a while ends up sounding the best of the two at the moment that I "rediscover" it.

Comment

for what its worth...the cleans on the GT-8 are leaps and bounds better than the XT's.
                              Sam

Comment

Speaking about the GT-8 taking time and effort to tweak, has anyone of you bought this DVD guide? If so, was it worth it?

http://www.licklibrary.com/ProductDe...zhRVtQDGsOI%3d

Comment

Working...
                                X