Boogie Mark III Coliseum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boogie Mark III Coliseum

I recently bought a Mesa Boogie Mark III from a local guitar shop. I didn't know what I had until checking in on a Boogie forum but all I got from those guys was "how much would you sell it for?"
    The head needs new tubes and who knows what else. Would I be better sending it to Mesa for a refurb or just sell it? I guess I am guilty of wanting to turn a quick profit but I do not feel I have given it a fair chance.
    Does anyone have one of the Boogie Mark III Coliseum head and are they high gain? What tubes are best suited for the amp. What is your overall opinion of it?
    Also, if I do consider selling, what is a fair price? I hate coming to a forum and asking "what is this worth?" but in this case, I would like to know before sinking more money into it by sending it to Mesa.
    No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

I think Endrik has one of those suckers. They sound scary!

Comment

I'll check my sources Thurs and post Fri early A.M.Both in as is condition and new tube + biased.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I thought someone had posted about getting a Mark III, maybe Endrik will chime in.

Comment

A while back there was a LOT of MK III buzz around here, but I can't remember who had gotten them. I don't know that they held on to them very long either...

Comment

The reason why you are getting the "how much will you sell it for?" is that they know not many of the MK3 were made in a Coliseum format. Does it have a stripe? (by the power cord input on the chassis on the backside)
            6 output tubes. Four 6L6 and two EL34's. A power switch drops the 6L6's voltage, and leaves the EL34's full open. Sounds like it have a flexibility in voicings to go between a few different Boogie eras as well as have alot of balls on tap with all 6 output going. 150w RMS. Offhand.. sounds like well in the 1000+ range.

From a review on HC..

"According to correspondence with Tim McKee at Boogie about the Coliseum Series 300 amps - "Mike B. (Mike Bendinelli) recalls perhaps 150-200 made, but that was a guess. Mike B. also says to not worry yourself with coding on the boards. That is in house code for identification as well as identifying with our vendors that have made the boards. He can't remember what H means... and it doesn't matter, really (D means simul-class).
            It has nothing to do with the reality in front of you. What if there was a mod? What if there were revisions that weren't printed on the board? etc. etc. If it has 6 tubes it is a Coliseum. If it has EL34s (2) and a simul-class switch, it is simul-class, if it has reverb and EQ...etc. etc. You have a mark III with a reverb,
            simulclass that boasts and output of 125 watts... There are guys out there that dedicate much of their free time to archiving and theorizing about the history of Boogie. I think it is great... I think it is lost guitar time... the funny thing is that folks here like Mike B. who have been here for over 25 years can't remember and tell us to not worry about it. Randall is an scientist who has dedicated his entire life to tweaking on tone and done an amazing job at it, but has made so many revisions and custom jobs to the older
            Mark series that one could spend their whole life 'losing sleep' trying to get into his brain. All of these trivial points are generally used to determine the value - bottom line: what is the value to the buyer? the seller? the player? some guys may want more squish in the power section and some not.. some more gain in the preamp and some less... you can't really put a value on that."
            Last edited by charvelguy; 05-17-2007, 08:05 AM.

Comment

This is a blue stripe and yep, 4-6L6's and 2-EL34's.
              Because of all the interest to buy the head, I thought it may be collectable or something. I would like to keep it just to have an older amp if it sounds good. I am just trying to figure out what to expect from the amp once it is 100%.

Comment

I have a blue stripe MK3 combo.. it has loads of gain. Alot of flexibililty with the push pulls. Yours will be able to get more tones with the power switch cutting down the 6L6's. These amps are LOUD btw. I've tamed down some of the Mesas I own with Groove tube convertors. I sometimes worry about frying them out due to the voltages tho.

Comment

I have a Mark IIC+ and I have played many Mark IIIs. They are great amps and they are very flexible tone wise. Some people struggle with the learning curve trying to get a desired tone, but once you figure it out it is pretty easy. I have heard of the coliseum versions, but I have never messed one. Sounds like you picked up a great amp.

Comment

I have a blue stripe Coliseum 300.

I have all six 6L6 because I like it that way the most. JJ tubes work excellent in Marks. Mine is with reverb.

It is one of the loudest amps ever made. It's by far the most "in your face" sounding amp ever made.
                    I've tried allmost all different types of boogies, and this is the only Mark series one that can get close to the Rectifier tone.

The sustain and note attack of this amp is unmatchable. Shit loads of useable gain. A lot of warmth and clarity. Very versatily, all clean, crunch and hi gain tones are outstanding. With all the tone controlls and push-pull functions and the EQ it's like having 40 kick ass amps in one.

This amp's character is captured really well on Whitesnake '87 and Blue Murder's debut album.... where John Sykes used two Coliseum 300's... by far the best sounding records guitar tone wise ever in my opinion.
                    Rolling Stones and The Who and also Santana have used them on stadium concerts (100 000 crowd and more). Metallica used them on Master Of Puppets tour... you can nail MOP tone to the T.... or that sweet Santana's lead tone.

The Price... well they aren't VERY expensive really... kinda funny... Mark II C+ amps are very expensive but Coliseum 300's are a lot more rare. I guess the typical price would be from 1200 to 1600 bucks.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Love those amps, I had a Mark 3 simul-class blue stripe for years. Bought it in 1993 sold in 2006 just before I moved. Great in your face amp, if you like old Metallica you can get that straight out of the head. Lots of attack and sustain, stupendously loud!
                      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Has anyone sent a head back to MB for a refurb/check up? How long did it take? What tubes would you recommend?

Comment

as I said JJ tubes.

btw. check what's written under the fuse, there are 5 lines of text, check wich line isn't marked, if it's 6A 300 series then it's Coliseum, if not then it's Simul-Class.

"There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Great Mark Endrik. Awesome to see you having bought one as well. (I should really check the forum out more, again)

Anyways, yes, these amps are monsters. I've got some hands-on experience with a Coliseum as well (Frederik has one) and they are disgustingly loud, to the point of being just too powerful. Anything past 2 is already pretty earshattering.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Yup, too powerfull

I was jamming with my friend, a drummer yesterday, I just moved my gear to his rehearsal room wich is a small garage. I rarely turned on the volume but it was like playing on a stadium. After jamming a couple of hours I got used with the loudness and power... so when we changed places... anything wich isn't ridiculosly loud was not an option for me anymore... so my friend was a little pissed because I pretended to be Tommy Lee or John Bonham and almost destroyed the drum skins

Comment

Working...
                              X