Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-effects questions (G Major for my JSX?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-effects questions (G Major for my JSX?)

Forgive me if this information has been asked or posted before but the search feature isn't working so I haven't been able to read any old posts...

Here's my dilemma that I would love to hear some advice on: I just recently bought a JSX half stack and I'm finally getting used to it and comfortable with it. I played solid state stuff my whole life so it was a big adjustment. My previous rig was an inexpensive Behringer 212 combo and I ran through a Digitech RP200A processor. It seemed to work just fine together and I was able to achieve a wide variety of sounds to keep me happy jamming at home.

Well, I knew the Digitech was sort of an entry level piece of gear so I wasn't expecting much when I first tried using it with the JSX...and I was right. When I use the Digitech processor, I get a lot of hiss that didn't exist through the Behringer and it sounds pretty crappy overall. (I've tried adjusting the noise gate, using the FX loop, etc to eliminate the problem with no success.)

So, now it seems the next logical step is look at an effects system that is up to par with the JSX. Since the JSX is capable of producing any amount of distortion I will ever need I am sort of turned off by the more popular multi-FX systems like PODXT and other brands that brag about their distortion models. I've considered using pedals but the cost adds up quickly! Before I start building this huge chain of pedals I was hoping there was a really good, basic, clean FX unit that will fill the void for things like reverb, delay, sweet chorus, etc...so what are your suggestions?

I've researched the G-major online by reading the reviews on MF and watching the video on the official site. What's your take on this product? ...or any other great units that I should compare with the G Major?

Thanks in advance!
    E = Fb

Well, I've used a Gmajor live with the Marshall TSL100 head I used to have, and I currently use it in the loop of my Soldano SLO100 head. I love it. I find it to be very transparent, the effects are great to me,,,,although I only use them very sparingly,,,,just a little chorus or delay here or there. The unit has tons of features, though, if you want them. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the relay. It will turn your JSX into basically a midi amp. Your preamp will follow every preset on the gmajor and will instantly be on the correct channel (clean or dirty.) So, although I'm not big on effects, I like the unit a lot. Plus, running it in a serial loop gives you great control over each preset volume,,,great for boost patches, etc. Oh, and might I add,,,,,no gaps in sound with preset changes!!!! 24 bit processing. I'd recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
      It will turn your JSX into basically a midi amp. Your preamp will follow every preset on the gmajor and will instantly be on the correct channel (clean or dirty.)
      ...speak slowly, I'm a noobie when it comes to this level of gear ...but please, by all means, educate me!

...and I agree with you, I'm not big into effects so I don't just want a bunch of "unuseable" gimmickey sounds, just solid and basic effects that every guitarist should have.
      Last edited by Axe Chemist; 05-20-2007, 04:02 PM.
      E = Fb

Comment

Well I have got the G-Major and I have used it with my 5150 and Triple Rec. I personally love mine and bought it because it didn't not have a preamp and had channel switching capability.

When it comes to solid and basic effects that is exactly how i use my G-Major. I usually just stick to one preset and just switch individual effects. I use the Art X-15, they work great and they are very inexpensive on ebay.
        Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

G-Major is the way to go. Make sure you get a decent foot controller too.

Comment

I am using a G-Major w/ an Art X-15 through A Randall RM100. It is a great unit. The X-15 I bought brand new back in the day. I guess it is safe to say I got my moneys worth out of it. The real time controllers are on the left side of the board and always felt strange to me. Almost like it is a left footer board. LOL
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

I use the ART x-15 too,,,but never bothered to use the expression pedals. I set up a Rage against the machine type octave effect using the expression pedal once,,,,and then thought, what will I use this for? To clear up the question about making your amp head seem like a midi preamp,,,what I mean was that hooking the Gmajor relay up to your head's footswitch jack will allow the gmajor to automatically switch your head to the appropriate channel with each program change. And there are no gaps in the sound, so to me, it is like your amp's preamp is now midi controlled, and one stomp can take you from a distorted, delay solo tone to a clean chorus and reverb sound.

Comment

The JSX has a unique Footswitch, Can the G Major control the channels???

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                  The JSX has a unique Footswitch, Can the G Major control the channels???

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    Yes.
                    +1!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      Yes.
                      So I assume you need a special cable to make it work. I just ordered a G-Major today so I'm going to need a midi controller. I also ordered the JSX specific custom cable from FJA mods to let the G-Major switch my amp channels, so I hope I didn't just spend $33 on a cable I didn't need.

I'm thinking a Rocktron Midimate to run the thing.

Comment

A good cheap way to control a bunch of presets is a Behringer FBC1010 (I think that's what it's called, I know there's a bunch of numbers and letters in there ).

Comment

Originally posted by TheAmazingBlob View Post
                          A good cheap way to control a bunch of presets is a Behringer FBC1010 (I think that's what it's called, I know there's a bunch of numbers and letters in there ).

They seem great for the buck..but I had two friends that bought them and both broke fairly quickly. I was considering one of those myself...
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Another happy G-Major user here! Using it with my Marshall JVM (which is MIDI enabled). There are bunches of places to buy stock/custom foot controllers. I use the MFC5 from http://axess-electronics.com to control my JVM and G-Major. I find the G-Major to be 99% transparent. Don't bother with the Boss GT-x units - they're great when plugging directly into the PA system, but they're tone suckers when plugged into an amp ie. they're not true bypass, and the A/D converters just aren't good enough.
                            "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

I've been playing live with my G-Major since 2002. It channel switches a modded Rockmaster pre. After 3 years of gigging it started acting up - midi switching didn't work all the time. I followed some tech steps: reset it, then upgraded the sw. It sorta got better. So I sent it in and for $100 they factory reconditioned it to new - and kept my settings! Well worth the fix.

It's paid for itself a long time ago. Even if I have to send it back every 3 years, fine by me. It comes back clean, with new plastic over the display, and wrapped like new. Very wise investment in quality FX, channel switching, and although mine has been fixed once - that's pretty good considering how much it's used and the hell it goes through in my rack.

Comment

Working...
                              X