No announcement yet.

25w greenbacks or 12-65 celestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've always felt the EVM12L's were too processed sounding, with way to much hiss and way too smooth. and i have a competant bass player.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

75's sounds rather crisp to me too but they have a good low end-top end and reduced mid from the 30's standpoint. 25 watters can take quite a bit of abuse but I think they were meant to add speaker distortion on amps like a non master JMP which have a relatively cleaner output stage distortion until they're being pushed to the point of getting break up..like past 5-6. I've not tried the 65's.
      Last edited by charvelguy; 05-22-2007, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I'll just note here that the 65s are closest to the Greenback sound of all the higher wattage Celestions. The big difference is they don't break up at higher volumes. (Note: the 25W weren't meant to break up necessarily. That's just a function of what happened to the technology of the time.) I'll also toss in here that if you want lower wattage Celestions for heavier music, I'd go with the 30 W over the 25 W: more bass and a little later breakup. That little later breakup seems to come at a strategic point though for typical gig volumes.

I agree with Cleve on the 75s and V30s. They're the most common of the Celestions for some reason, but IMO the weakest of the higher wattage ones. The 65s are somewhere in between them. The 80s (and 90s) are the most neutral sounding (still not like the EVM though): no nasally midrange of the V30 and not the harsh high-end of the 75. I liked the CL80s I had for a while and I've liked the 90W Celestions in the Mesa cabs I've owned too. They're a nice mixture of Celestion shaping without overdoing the affect of the speakers.

Comment

well now i'm at a crossroads of the 12-65 or the G12H30's for my 4x12.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I went and bought Eminence GB128's to replace my G12T-75's in my Marshall 1960A cab, which I use with my Soldano SLO100 head. These speakers are 50 watts, and supposed to be a version of a greenback with higher wattage. For my tastes, when I a/b'ed them,,,,these Eminence speakers are so much warmer and fuller than the old Celestions that were in there. It is really noticable at even low volume,,, I was turned off by Celestion moving production to China, so I went to Eminence,,,,and I LOVE these speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
              I went and bought Eminence GB128's to replace my G12T-75's in my Marshall 1960A cab, which I use with my Soldano SLO100 head. These speakers are 50 watts, and supposed to be a version of a greenback with higher wattage. For my tastes, when I a/b'ed them,,,,these Eminence speakers are so much warmer and fuller than the old Celestions that were in there. It is really noticable at even low volume,,, I was turned off by Celestion moving production to China, so I went to Eminence,,,,and I LOVE these speakers.
              Im pretty sure these are what is in my VHT Fat Bottom 4/12?
              If not, they are tighter than hell, and pristine definition.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                well now i'm at a crossroads of the 12-65 or the G12H30's for my 4x12.
                I'll add more options, just to make it a little more difficult! How about a mixture of 25s and 30s if you're going the vintage route? I've never tried that, but imagine it would be a great mixture. Plus, when you go to mic up the cab you can choose from two different sounds to send to the PA or recorder.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
                  Speakers are a funny thing in how they match with amps. When I built my first amp, a little 6 W combo, I went through an entire pile of speakers to find which I like best. I had access to several open back cabs with the boutique, super pricy Celestions, the typical Celestions, JBLs, Eminence, etc. After a couple of days of A/Bing everything I ended up using a $40 Eminence for this amp in combo form. I would have dropped some big $ for a fancy UK Celestion, but the lil' Eminence sounded better for this application.

Comment

How about matching G12T-75 with G12M Greenback in a 4x12 cab?
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                    X