Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use solder when attaching speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use solder when attaching speakers?

The builders don't. So, I'm wondering why some of you use it.

To make sure the connection doesn't crap out on you at a gig?

I'm about to attch some speakers into a cab that won't be leaving my house for awhile. It's ok to simply clip them in right?

[I've never replaced speakers before. Usually I just sell the cab when I get tired of the speakers, heh.]

Clipping them in is fine. I always just solder mine because I buy speaker wire and cut it up so I have to.

Comment

I prefer to solder when it comes to cabinets that get moved a lot.
      I still use the clips, but I put a spot of solder in there to help hold it in place.
      -Rick

Comment

Any connecter is a potential weak spot and failure point. Why not take the few minutes extra to eliminate that failure point?

Comment

For myself, it's more a matter of removing the solder if I don't like the speakers. I don't want it to get messy.

Comment

you have to be kidding.

crimping is never ok, it will always result in higher resistence (ok... maybe you want that)
            Last edited by SpudBoy; 05-21-2007, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
              The builders don't. So, I'm wondering why some of you use it.
              Do you really think the builders are thinking quality? You can train a monkey to crimp on a connector, no need for an iron (cost money for solder, power, and training).

Comment

Originally posted by SpudBoy View Post
                you have to be kidding.

crimping is never ok, it will always result in higher resistence (ok... maybe you want that)
                How is that possible? The only thing being clipped are the actual ends? i.e. metal to metal. Either way you have contact between two pieces of metal. Whether they are being clipped tightly or attached by solder makes no difference. Solder just makes for a more certain connection.

Comment

I use quick disconnects if the speakers are set up for them. If not.... I solder.

Comment

Originally posted by thebisch View Post
                    Any connecter is a potential weak spot and failure point. Why not take the few minutes extra to eliminate that failure point?
                    Exactly. If you are efficient enough, with a gun, you can get everything together and apart, rather easily. An ounce of prevention.....
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

My Mesa cab has soldered connections, my Marshall has clips. Never had a problem with either.

Comment

Solder. Now my training in electronics isnt directly related to speakers and cabs but I have worked on a lot of electronic equipment and I will use solder almost all the time. Seems to me that no matter what the connection will be used for, that a direct solid connection is desired. People who made those clips are the same that made those wire nuts. The purpose wasnt to make the connection better but to make it easier. Just my 31 cents.

Comment

Working...
                        X