Stomp box Delay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stomp box Delay?

Im am using a Boss DD-3. But I just dont like the threshold at which you can make it barely noticable. The controls seem to have a breaking point and not a range of control. I thought about running it through my loop but cant see where that will improve it's performance. Anyone suggest a good quality stomper for Delay. I may be more interested in a solid reverb pedal. Input appreciated. I wasw looking in the the Line 6 delay modeler...But it is getting bad reviews at Harmony.

Thanks in advance.
    Mike
    Last edited by Learn Guitars; 05-22-2007, 10:05 PM.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

I am using 2 delays in my pedalboard. I have a DD6 and an Ibanez DE7. The DE7 is a really nice quite cheap pedal.

Comment

maybe this link will help you. they review a lot of gear

At the zZounds Blog, we speak music. Check us out for previews of new gear, interviews with artists and brands, reviews, in-depth demos, videos, and more!

Comment

I'd try it through the loop first. Delays usually sound better there, and you can get more/less range out of it with the loop's level control. Plus, it sounds smoother and less digital running in a loop.

As for other delay pedals, the Digitech Digidelay is very good, so is the Visual Sound H20 chorus/echo.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
          Im am using a Boss DD-3. But I just dont like the threshold at which you can make it barely noticable. The controls seem to have a breaking point and not a range of control. I thought about running it through my loop but cant see where that will improve it's performance. Anyone suggest a good quality stomper for Delay. I may be more interested in a solid reverb pedal. Input appreciated. I wasw looking in the the Line 6 delay modeler...But it is getting bad reviews at Harmony.

Thanks in advance.
          Mike

Mike, time based effects should go in the loop. What you are experiencing is normal when you put a delay up in front of an amp.
          Put it in the loop and it will work perfectly.

Comment

Boss DD5 or an Akai Headrush!

Comment

I'm in for the new Eventide Timefactor! holy jose that thing is the delay of choice! it's going to be insane!

Chris

Comment

I have an Ibanez DDL-20 that I like, although I haven't used it since I got my AX1500G (has delay on board).

Found out a while back that Gary Moore used to use two DDL-20s, one on a shorter delay to fatten his lead tone, and one with a longer repeat to flick on for that high bend he likes to hit at the end of his solos....os....os....os....os
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Mike, all the suggestions that have been made are fine delays but none of them will work properly when placed in front of a high gain amp.
                  Delays are designed to be put in the loop.

Comment

Harmony Central reviews are SUCH a frickin' joke... I've been lead astray there soooo many times I can't count 'em all.

Never used one, but lots of people like the Line 6 delay - either the floor model or the rackmount... Lots of pros out there use them, so they can't be THAT bad...

Comment

I had the line6 echo park, was pretty cool. Could set tap tempo to divide into dotted 8ths and such, had a ducking delay setting, reverse, etc... plus could do digital, analog and tape type delays.

And yeah, delays go in the loop, otherwise what happens when you run delay early in the chain (front of the amp) is that the guitar signal AND the delayed signals are distorted - this makes them very fuzzy and indistinct. When you use the loop, you're delaying the overdriven guitar signal, which is much cleaner and easier to control.

Pete

Comment

I'm use both a DD-2 and DD-3 in the loop (separate rigs) and have no problems, so just in case you aren't convinced by the half-dozen suggestions to try that . . .

I actually run delay as the very last thing before the power section, for example: preamp > EQ > gate > delay > power amp.
                        sigpic

Comment

The problem with delay pedals in front of multi channel amps is that you need them set different for different channels because of how the delay interacts with the differing gains. Running it in the loop is ideal but if that is not an option a delay with different settings will work just fine.

The Boss DD-20 is an outstanding delay. It works pretty decent in front of any amp that I tried. You can have 4 presets. I would use analog and tape echo settings in front of a gain channel which are naturally darker so you don't have the harshness happening. Set the mix/blend way down. For cleaner tones the digital delay on that is fantastic.

The other nice thing about the DD-20 is that it can work at instrument or line level so it will work in any loop. A lot of delay pedals will not work well in line level loops because they don't have the headroom.

BTW, the Line 6 DL-4 is kick ass. It also has 4 presets. I would avoid the Tone Core delay though - I thought it sounded pretty thin.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Another very cool pedal that you can pick up dirt cheap on Ebay is the Yamaha MagicStomp. It has a ton of effects from the SPX-90 family - reverbs, delays, chorus, flange, etc. - it sounds fantastic. You can have a ton of presets too. This is what I use when I don't take my rack.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Thank for all of the feedback and info guys. I will try it in the loop to see if it works for me. I am already running the BBE Stomp in the loop. It is just going to make the cord situation a bit more of a mess so I can control the delay from the pedal board. I have the BBE fixed to the back of the amp left on all the time.
                              Last edited by Learn Guitars; 05-23-2007, 09:45 AM.
                              Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                              http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X