Using a Gt6 with Jcm 800?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Gt6 with Jcm 800?

I have been thinking about getting a nice multi fx for using with my marshall.

I think i remember reading somewhere (altough i think it was about the Gt8) that you could connect it with 4 cables, and because of that put some effects before the preamp and others in the loop.

From what i understand it would also be possible to bypass the preamp for the clean tone but not for the distorted for example, which would be awesome, becasue i love the distorted sound as it is, with just an od pedal in front of the amp, but not so much the clean tone to be honest.

So this way i could switch from Marshall preamp with just some reverb and perhaps delay, to the clean of the Gt6 with some nice chorus and stuff by just pushing a button, am i right?

And a last question, does it have a good overdrive effect, like a Sd1 or tubescreamer, that actually pushes the amp like the real ones does?

Of course i could get a Gt8 if neccesary, but from what i understand the Gt6 should be good enough, and is quite a bit cheaper used.

Sorry for all those questions, but i wanna be sure that the pedal actually does what want it to do before i spend my money.

4cm method will only work with a jcm800 if it has had effects loop mod done,like mine,otherwise it is into the main input on the jcm800 for you and imho not that good.
    my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

It is a later model with the effects loop (2210).
      So it would work the way i want it to then, or?

Comment

Originally posted by rocksoldier View Post
        It is a later model with the effects loop (2210).
        So it would work the way i want it to then, or?
        yes it will.i assumed it was an older model like mine,they didnt have ef/l.my bad.
        my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

The GT6 won't let you mix an overdrive with the FX loop of the Boss unit, both are on the same patch, only the GT8 will let ya have an overdrive/disto + the fx loop.

I own a GT8 and use it that way with my Marshall DSL50.

Is your JCM800 a one channel model? If yes, here is a litle trick I do with my Marshall DSL50.

I have yet to really get into the preamps in the GT8... I've done it a bit with headphones and with my computer speakers but for me I got that multi FX to keep my Marshall disto. I love the way my Marshall sounds and I'm used to the dyanamics of my amp, so why fix it if it ain't broke.
          Before getting the GT8, I was mostly using my Marshall DSL50 as a one channel amp, rolling my guitar volume to get a clean sound, as I was a bit disapointed by the fact that I could not use the "amp channel control" with the GT8 and the DSL50 (annoying hum buzz when the cable is connected between the 2 units), last evening at our rehearsal, I decided to try something: I created a patch with a "volume send" of the FX loop set to "2%"... You read it right, "2" (on a scale from 0 to 100)!
          That way, it's like I've rolled down the volume on my guitar but with a simple foot click instead of physicaly doing it on the guitar!!! Add some reverb and chorus or any other FX you would like and voilà!!! It's easy to go from my amp with full disto to a not too bad clean with a simple foot click! For your the "send volume" could be higher depending on your amp gain.
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Damn, if i can't use the loop of the Gt6 at the same time as the overdrive, then i guess i will have to get the Gt8.

But whatever, if i can find a used one at a descent price then i guess it won't cost that much more than a couple of stomp boxes, and i hate tap dancing on the pedals, would be so much better to just change the entire patch with one button, and to also have a backup if a tube breaks during a gig or something.

And thank you for the help btw!

Comment

Working...
            X