Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this...new member hazing?

Comment

Seriously, I wasnt impressed with the Vintage Modern 1st time around. For some reason the Distortion Pro and the OD9 really sound good thru it. I ab'd with the JVM 3rd channel, and I liked the pedal / VM sound a bit better. Tried the Stiletto Ace a few days before, I like the Marshall just as much, I little better I think. Granted, the D Pro colors it I'm sure....Just my 2 cents. I just hear that amp getting slammed a lot, just wanted to let folks know to give it a shot with their own gear before crossing off the short list!

Comment

And really, after tweaking it a bit, it sounded good without the pedals too. Just not "instant gratification" on this one.

Comment

Well I appreciate the review, because I have been considering going and checking one out...

Now I think I will.

Comment

Originally posted by chmizell View Post
            What is this...new member hazing?
            Nah, it's just how we do things here. Takes some getting used to.
            I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I've played Marshalls since 86' and they can sound VERY different head to head. The worst and best sounding amps I've ever heard were Marshalls. You gotta try a bunch to find the ONE.
              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                I've played Marshalls since 86' and they can sound VERY different head to head. The worst and best sounding amps I've ever heard were Marshalls. You gotta try a bunch to find the ONE.

That's is Gospel IMO. Luckily I found two 2210's that were balanced with identical settings, ran in stereo..that's rare right there. I had others 2210s but a very different "vibe" . My other JCM 800s 2203s..2204s all had their own sig. I had a red 50 watt 800 that was the loudest amp I have yet to own..it made my teeth hurt..yeesh!

I owned five 5150's they were consistant, but I had one "sweet" one I always favored...same stock tubes and eveything..just one of those things!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

That could be, I might have found a good one. I did play the same model at another store and I felt it sounded more or less the same. I will take your advice and try a bunch before buying.

Comment

I played one for a while about 2 weeks ago. Once dialed in, I had it sounding quite a bit like an old 50 watt JMP that I used to own. It's not a high gain amp per se, but it grinds nicely when you light the wick on it.

If you primarily use high gain tones, stay away. If you like to ride your volume knob to go from a brawny clean sound (no shimmery Fender tones here) to overdrive, and use pedals for higher gain tones, check it out.

I would have to think that anyone knocking this amp doesn't understand dynamic, classic, low/medium gain tones.

Comment

Working...
                    X