Carvin Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin Amps

ive been lookin at cavin amps online and just want to know if anyone owns these. x100b, MTS,Legacy?? how do you like them? are they built tuff enough to take some hits and keep rockin?
    can i get a good lead tone out of them. will i need a pedal in front?
    the V3 looks sweet but its a little more than what i want to spend on a new amp.
    im using a line 6 xt live right now but want another tube amp, somthin i can just plug in and rock out, without havin to dial in all kinda of stuff. i used to have a crate blue voodoo head and never realy liked it. any of these have as much gain but better tone than the voodoo? thanx joe s.
    subscribe to my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/deathmetal44
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-TymW-84g
    www.soundclick.com/gothmetalshredder

Don't know, but they should sound better than the blue doo-doo

Comment

I have an 88 X100-B and love the cleans.The drive channel is Ok but not bone crushing.Hair metal,prog,classic rock it sounds great.
      I use a fulltone OCD pedal in front of the amp when I need serious dirt and it sounds huge.I like mine a lot, lots of punch and bottom end.I like having the 25-50-100 % option lots of versatility.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have a VM100 Valve Master head that I love. It was made only 2 years after the X100Bs and it's the predecessor of both the MTS and the Legacy. It has the same features as both of those amps. Mine came with 6L6s but will run El34s too. I personally love it with 6L6s, and it has 5 12AX7s also. I don't personally need a pedal, the drive channel is great for leads and I back off just a little on my guitar for rhythms. Of course it depends how much gain you need. For me it has more than I need. The MTS is similar enough to do the same job for you.

I had X100Bs before and always ran an SD-1 in front to push the drive channel into metal tones. Both the X100B and the VM100 have great clean channels.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          I have an 88 X100-B and love the cleans.The drive channel is Ok but not bone crushing.Hair metal,prog,classic rock it sounds great.
          I use a fulltone OCD pedal in front of the amp when I need serious dirt and it sounds huge.I like mine a lot, lots of punch and bottom end.I like having the 25-50-100 % option lots of versatility.
          +1 I bought mine new in '88 and had it up to 2 years ago. I just had way to many amps that weren't getting used. It would blow my JCM 800 Marshall's into the weeds!
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Haven't owned any of those, but heard a MTS tube head used at a small gig.....and thought it sounded great. Nice, warm , full. It reminded me a bit of my SLO....nice smooth gain tone. Again, I never owned or played through one.

Comment

The MTS is a great affordable high gain amp. It has a great clean channel and a great gain channel. It sounds alot like a JCM800 2203 that has a pedal in front of it for more gain. It has diode clipping between the gain stages similar to the Marshall 2210.

Comment

The Legacy is like a Bogner Shiva with 2 main differences. The clean channel does not break up (unless you have an X2N or something). The dirty channel has more gain. You don't need a pedal for leads. You may want one for metal rhythm though.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  Don't know, but they should sound better than the blue doo-doo
                  My Blue Voodoo 60 head sounds great!
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, don't knock the Blue Voodoo. Mine sounds awesome.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I gotta tell ya I have owned the x100b and I now own a freshly retubed Voodoo and the Carvin doesnt even come close. The x100b didnt have the gain the BV does. I would suggest the LaneyAOR series if you can find a good used one. They have a bit more warmth than the Voodoo but about as much gain with the boost circuits. I have both now and with new Mesa Tubes. I like both of them. But the classic circuit of the old AOL is really solid. My main rig is a Fender Supersonic 60 head. Try one if you get a chance. All great amps. Just my observations owning them both.
                      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

my blue voodoo had somthing wrong with it. it was no where near as loud as it should have been and the eq knobs didnt do much at all. it had this weird clangy sound and i couldnt get a decent growl or much sustain ever. i know they can sound good cause a dude in a local band i saw one time used one with no effects or pedals and it was brutal.thats what made me want one. mine was no where near as good sounding and not even half as loud cranked full out. i got the blue voodoo halfstack used for 500 bux. dude i got it off of said it wasnt loud enough. i sold the head to guitar center for 400 bux and kept the blue voodoo cab, so i made out on it anyway:P. ive been lookin at used peavey ultra's online also. anyone have any info on those??
                        subscribe to my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/deathmetal44
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-TymW-84g
                        www.soundclick.com/gothmetalshredder

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                          I would suggest the LaneyAOR series if you can find a good used one. They have a bit more warmth than the Voodoo but about as much gain with the boost circuits.
                          Exactly. I picked up an 87' Aor 50 watt, over the past few months, dropped a in new pair of JJ EL34s, and a few choice 12ax7s, and, man, does it sound primo. I had an 87 100 watter, back in the day, and have regretted selling it, ever since. Now, I finally feel back where I belong. This one isn't going anywhere!
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

I played a Mts3200 at a GC. The clean wasnt to good compared to amps know for good cleans, but i was surprised it had a desent crunch sound to it. But nothing that said 'I gotta have it'
                            www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
                            the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Originally posted by Vlover View Post
                              I played a Mts3200 at a GC. The clean wasnt to good compared to amps know for good cleans, but i was surprised it had a desent crunch sound to it. But nothing that said 'I gotta have it'

That is an unusual review. The MTS3200 is usually highly noted for its fantastic crystal clear and warm clean channel. I had 3 of them. I thought the clean channel was outstanding on all 3. The reverb is great too.

Comment

Working...
                              X