No announcement yet.

Carvin Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, a used one at GC might have been used hard and put up wet. Old tubes, maybe even the switch set wrong for the power tubes, impedance mismatch with the cab. The typical GC staff might not even know they needed to make sure these things were set properly.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I had an old X100B years ago, which I traded against the Marshall. It was the older type with the script logo, running 6L6's.

It sounded good, but it seemed a bit inconsistent. One day it would sound great and the next day it would sound mediocre. It was probably just my ears, though.
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
        I had an old X100B years ago, which I traded against the Marshall. It was the older type with the script logo, running 6L6's.

It sounded good, but it seemed a bit inconsistent. One day it would sound great and the next day it would sound mediocre. It was probably just my ears, though.

My X100B's did the same thing. I think it was my ears too.

Comment

I owned and gigged with the MTS combo version and loved it. I had to sell it but intend on getting some head (er, the head) and 4x12 sooner or later. For the money, I think it's the best hi-gain amp on the market. Tonewise, it can get some sweet tones. All Carvin amps are very sensitive, so whenever I hear someone say the MTS sounds bad, I'm thinking it wasn't tweaked right. Of course, the Legacy probably sounds smoother, and many amps will have more gain or sound a bit better, but you'd also be spending a lot more money.

I've read reviews on the MTS that says it can sound like JCM800s, 5150s, and even Rectifiers. I can't agree or disagree, but I do know that the MTS has some great features. Cranked, it's quiet (no squeal). Cleans are sparkling and don't break up at all, regardless of volume (lots of headroom). Crunch breaks up early but sounds best 3 or above. Live, I would have the gain about 7 or 8 and the volume about 5 or 6 and it sounded phenomenal. Clean channel is voiced louder than the dirty channel and I usually ran it about 3 or 4 live.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with the MTS unless you're set on boutique or higher-end amps, in which case I would recommend the Legacy if you're still set on Carvin or if you're still looking for an inexpensive amp, I've heard good things about B-52s and, as aforementioned, Blue Voodoos ... Crate's also putting out some other tube amps that may be worth considering. Just keep in mind that the MTS really isn't an economy amp. It's being sold wholesale and would probably cost about twice as much retail. That's just another thing to love about Carvin, though.
          My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

I've got one of the BelAir 50W combos. Great amp, very sweet clean channel. Nicely "open-voiced", if you know what I mean. The distortion is only good for "classic rock"-ish tones. You won't get real "metal" gain out of it without enhancements. But, then again, it's one of their "vintage series" amps, so it's not really designed with metal tones in mind anyway. Besides, that's never bothered me, as I've almost always ran it with a Boss GT for distortions & effects anyway.

I recently switched to a Peavey JSX head running through a Carvin V3 cab loaded with Celestion V30s. GREAT cab - I like it a TON better than the flubby Peavey cabs I tried out with the JSX.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              I've got one of the BelAir 50W combos. Great amp, very sweet clean channel. Nicely "open-voiced", if you know what I mean. The distortion is only good for "classic rock"-ish tones. You won't get real "metal" gain out of it without enhancements. But, then again, it's one of their "vintage series" amps, so it's not really designed with metal tones in mind anyway. Besides, that's never bothered me, as I've almost always ran it with a Boss GT for distortions & effects anyway.

I recently switched to a Peavey JSX head running through a Carvin V3 cab loaded with Celestion V30s. GREAT cab - I like it a TON better than the flubby Peavey cabs I tried out with the JSX.
              I feel the same way about my Carvin BelAir. Sounds really good clean through the neck pickup of a strat. Distortion? Bleh! The EL84's give it a nice Vox-ish honk, but this ain't an amp for metal.

A friend had an X100B, and it was loud as hell, but the thing just didn't have that Marshall bite. It crunched, but it was just weird. Pedal were definitely needed.

Comment

I like them both, a 1988 X100B and an MTS

Jack

Comment

Hey Jack my 88 X100B has the script logo under the on/off switch and a large dancing carvin logo.I wonder why that is.
                  Last edited by straycat; 06-08-2007, 01:37 AM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Just a heads up.. Stereo T100 tube rack mnt head at Chris' guitars...
                    for $399.00 mint! Where was this 2 months ago when i was searching
                    for a stereo amp? :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X