Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall single channel like DSL TSL????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall single channel like DSL TSL????

I'm pretty sure I read about one of these but can't remember where:

Did Marshall ever make a single channel all tube practice amp maybe 15 -20 watts with master volume similar to the DSL or TSL family? I have no interest in anything Vintage or rare but if one of these goes for less than a DSL I would like to check one out.

Thanks,
    Last edited by tanpsi; 05-27-2007, 03:05 PM.

I just answered my own question with a bit of googling, probalbly should have done it first haha, but now I can share what I found

I must have seen it in the Marshall history book, unfortunatly seem kind of rare, but if that amptone site is right $300 seems like a great price.

Any one here played or heard one? I'm hoping that it sounds like a DSL or TSL
    Last edited by tanpsi; 05-27-2007, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
      I just answered my own question with a bit of googling, probalbly should have done it first haha, but now I can share what I found

I must have seen it in the Marshall history book, unfortunatly seem kind of rare, but if that amptone site is right $300 seems like a great price.

Any one here played or heard one? I'm hoping that it sounds like a DSL or TSL
      300 would be a great price, but they usually sell for twice that or more.

Comment

Well, since it apparently came out in 1986 you can be pretty sure it doesn´t have the amount of gain the JCM2000´s have. The 6V6´s in the power amp will also make it a different animal than most Marshalls, new or old.

Comment

How about buying a DSL and using it as a one channel amp?

This is how I use mine... DSL50, green channel set on crunch, pushed with a tube screamer when I need more gain, rolling the guitar volume for clean.

Voilà! No need for footswitch...

Sometimes, I use the red channel, set on lead #2, guitar straight into the amp... Again, rolling the guitar volume for clean...

Voilà #2!

Now if I could find the money for a JCM800 or 1959...
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
            How about buying a DSL and using it as a one channel amp?
            +1 LOL!

If you want the tone of a DSL, you need a DSL or a modeller.

Comment

Nothing against multi channel amps, just looking to save some $$$ but if they go for 600, probably not a great deal, beacause I've seen some DSLs for around 800. And also like you point out it may have a different sound than the DSL.

Thanks for the replys.
              Last edited by tanpsi; 05-28-2007, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Get a DSL... Be patient and you may get one for cheap. I did
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Yeah, I don´t think a Studio 15 should be considered a cheaper fix for a DSL. It´s probably a fine amp in its own right, but it´s not a nineties high gainer.

Comment

I have a studio 15, I love it. US prices are closer to $700 these days. It is not a hard rock or metal amp. It has wonderfull cleans and bluesy tones. It does not do DSL. Even with pedals, a young DSL fab would be very disappointed.

You should be looking for a 30 watt Marshall Artist combo, IMO. It has diode distortion and 80's metal Marshall tone, without the need for a pedal or high volume. It is not so good otherwise and isn't well made, but for the price, you would love it. They should be around $350~$400ish.

Comment

"30 watt Marshall Artist combo...and isn't well made"

The Artist combo and head are constructed no differently and with the same quality parts that any other JCM 800 amp of the same era was.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Kabong View Post
                        I have a studio 15, I love it. US prices are closer to $700 these days. It is not a hard rock or metal amp. It has wonderfull cleans and bluesy tones. It does not do DSL. Even with pedals, a young DSL fab would be very disappointed.

You should be looking for a 30 watt Marshall Artist combo, IMO. It has diode distortion and 80's metal Marshall tone, without the need for a pedal or high volume. It is not so good otherwise and isn't well made, but for the price, you would love it. They should be around $350~$400ish.
                        Thanks, great info, I'll check it out

Comment

Originally posted by thebisch View Post
                          "30 watt Marshall Artist combo...and isn't well made"

The Artist combo and head are constructed no differently and with the same quality parts that any other JCM 800 amp of the same era was.
                          There were consistant problems with the OT on this model.

Comment

Working...
                          X