Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electro-Harmonix Tube EQ worth the $190?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electro-Harmonix Tube EQ worth the $190?

Since the Radial Tonebone Plexitube isn't exactly getting any rave reviews from the high-gain folks, I'm abandoning that idea and looking elsewhere for adding some tube tone to my pedalboard. I've decided that I like the idea of having something to warm up my Xtreme distortion pedal, and although my ART Tube EQ sounds great, I still don't trust it. In messing with it a bit, I've concluded that the front panel construction is sort of a weak point, which wouldn't be an issue if it was mounted in a rack rather than on a pedalboard that is going to get jostled around.

The Electro-Harmonix Tube EQ pedal gets good reviews, and although it's $190 new, a number of eBay sellers offer free shipping and include a power adapter for it. It's a pretty rugged looking piece of metal, and I generally hear good things about EH reliability. Seeing no reason to ditch the Xtreme due to the great high-gain tones I get out of it, I definitely want a good parametric EQ to replace the ART parametric when I retire it. Going from one Tube EQ to another (ha ha...whatever) seems like the best option.

So, any current or former owners?
    sigpic

I have the Black Finger Compressor. I use this to add some tube warmth and push to certain amps, and it does a really good job. I would highly recommend it. The difference between these EH effects and other "tube" effects is that the EH operate at enough plate voltage to actually utilize the tube as intended. They are cool pedals.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
    X