Problem with my Tube Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my Tube Amp

This weekend I got a new cab for my Ampeg Bass Rig. The amp is an All Tube 300 Watt Ampeg SVT-2 PRO and I got a SVT-410HE for it. Well when I connected the cab I noticed the volume was very low. I had to turn it everything to ten and even max all the EQ settings to get a decent volume.

I don't normally use this amp, as I am really a guitarist. Well I started pushing the buttons to see I could figure out why the volume was so low, when I finally hit the mute button and nearly blew the speakers out. Apparently my 3 year old son had been playing with the buttons and muted the head.

The problem I noticed immediately was a scratching sound that the speakers were emitting when I played. The noise only occurs when I played a note and the Amp still had the same punch as before. The low end actually sounds better than it ever has and I was surprised at how low you can get s 4x10 cab.

So I connected another set of speakers to the amp and I still heard the same noise so I know it is not the cab. I played with the settings and found that the only time that hear the scratching sound is when I have the treble up. If I turn the treble down or turn the tone knob on my bass the noise is gone. So it seems the scratching sound only happens when a note is played and only in the higher frequencies.

What do you guys think? Could it just be the preamp tubes? I'm not sure who old the tubes are since I bought this head used a couple of months ago, but I can tell you this head looks brand new. However had this head before took really good care of it. The head itself is about 10 Years old.
    Damn, I love this Interweb.

Whew (wiping the sweat from my forehead)........

I figured out what was wrong. My instrument cable was causing the noise. I've never had a cable do this, that is kinda weird. It basically created some noise but only in the high frequencies. If I lowered the tone knob on the Bass Guitar of just backed of the treble everything sounded fine. I have never had a cable to this. I gonna have to confirm I wasn't using a Speaker Cable.

Comment

Originally posted by krimson View Post
      when I finally hit the mute button and nearly blew the speakers out.
      How's your hearing?? :ROTF: Nice story! Glad you figured out the problem!
      Sam

Comment

What?........................J/K

I pretty much scared the hell out of me, but I could swear the amp wasn't making that noise before with that specific cord. Oh, well at least everything is working now.

Comment

Working...
        X