Peavey JSX vs 6505

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey JSX vs 6505

Anyone tried these before? How do they compare to Marshall and Mesa?

JSX Smooth modern distortion like Arch Enemy, In Flames, Soilwork.

6505, similar (same bands used these) but less smooth, definitely heavier sounding. More low end Chug.

Used, both are great bang for the buck. One of the best deals out there really.

Both are very different timbres from MESA or Marshall.

Comment

I'm in this same decision making spot myself.
      I love my 5150 but I wish I could "smooth it out" more than I can so I'm checking out a JSX and soon as Matt gets it in.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I would have to agree...I tried out a JSX a while back when I was thinking about upgrading from my 5150 combo to a head-cab set up. I wanted that low end chug mentioned before and wound up with a new 6505+. I love that amp...I've used the 5150 in both configurations from when they first came out, and can say the only bad part of it is that the clean side doesn't clean up to be a sparkly Fender. But, I can live with that, being a gain junkie.

Comment

I am getting the JSX head...should arrive today!!!

Comment

I like mine. It's a bit bright but that's mostly because I'm playing a bright guitar/pickup through it. Smooth amp tho, especially with V-30's.

Comment

I wish they had a hybrid 6505/jsx... I like the low end brutal crunch of the 6505, but like the smooth lead sound (and rhytm sound as well) of the JSX

Not a big fan of the mid channel of the JSX. Sorta useless for my needs really.

Both are sorta one dimensional, but it's a good dimension, haha...

I'm wanting a JSX sorta...

Comment

my 6505 arrives soon.i keep reading good things about it.i did play a jsx but was only for about 5mins and not very loud but i didnt like it much.
                my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

too much mids in the jsx perhaps? not good for thrash?

Comment

To get a sound I liked on the JSX with the guitar I tried it with (import jackson with emg htz pickups) I ran EVERYTHING full out on that amp, cept mids at 90clock, and treble at like 1-3oclock or full out. Had the Matching cab.

Sounded like Arch Enemy, in flames, soilwork to me... Which is pretty cool. But pretty much one trick.

Comment

I had FIVE 5150s...and fucked with them since '90..they are a great amp..they have a great "chug" to them for metal..but they are very touchy with the bass and gain and FLUB big time..you can't push the gain past 5.5 on the 5150 withouth flubbin' out..I always hated that!

No, I don't use stomps..I want it all amp..I'm not playing a non master volume plexi..these are supposed to be "high gain" amps..then so be it. I want it organic as possible!

The JSX has all the gain and girth you need and flubless..100% usuable gain, unlike a 5150..I had the bass, gain and resonance maxed and it held tight as a nun's cooch just like my Uber..so we got along VERY well.

The JSX has a MUCH better clean channel that the 5150 II ..even with it own EQ section..which makes it more versatile right off the bat.

The JSX is also more lively and responsive with pinch harmonics and a much beter "singing" lead tone..the lead tones of a 5150 always seemed kinda "dead" to my ears..not really "lively" at all..even tho Andy Sneap makes 'em sound awesome..like he does with any amp!

Basically..Joe Satriani giged with 5150s for a short period some time ago..Then he kinda liked the XXX...but needed more versatility. He thought the XXX was "buzzy'..kinda like a recto..so Peavey worked with Joe and built an amp to Joe's needs..So the JSX was based from the XXX

To me it's a no brainer..I'd go with a JSX over a 5150 anyday..and I didn't even try it with a BBE 422 in the loop!

In '90 Peavey hit a home run with the 5150 and I always loved them..but they finally nailed it with the JSX..

The JSX is the best sounding amp I've ever heard/played that is stocked in most guitar shops ..without going into "boutique" territory IMO!
                      Last edited by horns666; 06-14-2007, 03:41 AM.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've used one of the original 5150's for years. I run it through a mesa 4x12 with v30's. I agree with horns666 about running the gain past 5.5. I don't hear it as flub, rather the signal starts to become too compressed for my likes. There is WAY more than enough gain at the 5.5 mark.

I'm sending mine here http://www.fjamods.com/FJAMain.html as soon as I get a chance. This dude specializes in peavey mods.

The 5150 has been cited as having a slightly more pleasing gain channel than the 5150 II. Apparently some people have noticed a nicer low end curve. I've never tried directly comparing the two. However, I think I would enjoy the 5150 II over my 5150 simply because the II uses independent eq's for each channel. I believe the newer 6505 and 6505 II are the same way. The other difference is: the 6505 uses five preamp tubes and the 6505+ uses six preamp tubes. Both use 6L6 power tubes.

I've only tried the JSX once. At that time, I believe there was an issue with the built in noise gate. It was basically useless and sorta screwed up the signal. I think Peavey fixed that with later releases of the amp. JSX uses four preamp tubes and four EL34's instead of 6L6's like the 6505 series. So it is going to sound a bit more "Marshally" than the 6505 amps which will sound a bit more "Mesa'ish".

My problem with the JSX is, I dislike 3-channel amps. Actually, I dislike any amp design that tries to stuff a ton of options on the amp. The Mesa Road king amp is the epitome of TOO MUCH SHIT!! I like simple bullet-proof designs that have less stuff that can go wrong. The JSX would appeal to me a bit more if they made it in a 2 channel version and dropped some of the extra's like the gate. (I know...I am being anal!)

I think if where to buy another Peavey amp (and why not?) I would probably get the 6505+

Comment

Originally posted by mjl927 View Post
                          I've used one of the original 5150's for years. I run it through a mesa 4x12 with v30's. I agree with horns666 about running the gain past 5.5. I don't hear it as flub, rather the signal starts to become too compressed for my likes. There is WAY more than enough gain at the 5.5 mark.

I'm sending mine here http://www.fjamods.com/FJAMain.html as soon as I get a chance. This dude specializes in peavey mods.

The 5150 has been cited as having a slightly more pleasing gain channel than the 5150 II. Apparently some people have noticed a nicer low end curve. I've never tried directly comparing the two. However, I think I would enjoy the 5150 II over my 5150 simply because the II uses independent eq's for each channel. I believe the newer 6505 and 6505 II are the same way. The other difference is: the 6505 uses five preamp tubes and the 6505+ uses six preamp tubes. Both use 6L6 power tubes.

I've only tried the JSX once. At that time, I believe there was an issue with the built in noise gate. It was basically useless and sorta screwed up the signal. I think Peavey fixed that with later releases of the amp. JSX uses four preamp tubes and four EL34's instead of 6L6's like the 6505 series. So it is going to sound a bit more "Marshally" than the 6505 amps which will sound a bit more "Mesa'ish".

My problem with the JSX is, I dislike 3-channel amps. Actually, I dislike any amp design that tries to stuff a ton of options on the amp. The Mesa Road king amp is the epitome of TOO MUCH SHIT!! I like simple bullet-proof designs that have less stuff that can go wrong. The JSX would appeal to me a bit more if they made it in a 2 channel version and dropped some of the extra's like the gate. (I know...I am being anal!)

I think if where to buy another Peavey amp (and why not?) I would probably get the 6505+
                          Not at all..I agree with you on the two channel idea, but they went with Joe's needs. It does have a great clean tone...I never used any "crunch" channel ever..it's either clean or scream with me..mostly scream!

The JSX has the option to use 6L6 tho..Pete (Twisteramps) said it sounds much better with those , as I can imagine..I prefer 6L6..the one I play at GC several times is loaded with EL34..and I got up pretty loud..I was encouraged by the guitar manger who knows me (Ripper's player)..

I really like the JSX..before the JSX came out.. the 5150 was my favorite head. Approx 4-5 years ago, I bought a Uberschall and that really is in a leage all it's own..but it'll cost ya...it's great!
                          Last edited by horns666; 06-16-2007, 05:22 AM.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well I've got a JSX head in the house right now and so far I'm digging it.
                            I'm playing it thru a Legacy top with V30's and I don't hear any of that supposed "mid honk" that some people complain about with these.
                            Mines still got the EL34's in it and I'm betting that with tung sols in the preamps and 6l6's in there this thing will really open up nicely.
                            so far so good.
                            I think I'm going to keep it, it kind of sounds like a middle ground between a 5150 and a Dual recto.
                            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Awesome dude, glad you finally got one in!

Keep us posted on how you go with it, especially with the tubes n stuff
                              I've found that lower output pickups are much clearer, especially for low stuff. Unless you go the other way, my toneknobless x2n is fucking brutal, I can practically hear the preamp tubes screaming for mercy!

Comment

Working...
                              X