• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I've got a set of
    Bareknuckles going into my Carvin 7 this week so that will give me
    something to test with this thing.
    So far I really like it, I'm going to keep my 5150 for those times when
    I really want to get "that sound"
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
      Well I've got a set of
      Bareknuckles going into my Carvin 7 this week so that will give me
      something to test with this thing.
      So far I really like it, I'm going to keep my 5150 for those times when
      I really want to get "that sound"
      Dat's Schweeet Nickoli!!

Sounds good to me..I can hear it from here!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Glad you're digging it, bro. I love mine.

Comment

I'm impressed..I KNOW what I like, and that amp puts a smile on my face whenever I play it!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Need a pic

Comment

Love that rig man, shredballs!

Comment

Need a pic

Hey Nick, those axes are fuggin' perdy!

I have a few nice ones too..but I can't take pics because I'm special..very special.

Comment

I have always heard that you really needed the 5150 cab to match the head and I have read many threads argreeing and disagreeing but what about the JSX? What is the best cabinet for it?
                  No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

My 5150 sounds great thru Greenbacks (as long as s I'm not playing my
                    7 string). I don't like th 5150 cab (the sheffields sound Ice Pick-ish to me)

I've played the JSX head thru 3 cabs so far
                    my Legacy with V30's
                    my Marshall with greenbacks
                    and the JSX cab
                    the V30s and the JSX cab both sound way better than the greenbacks
                    and I like the V30's (mine are nice and broken in so there is no midrange honk with this cab) the best so far,
                    I'd like to try it with a Mesa cab loaded with C90's. I'm hearing great things about those cabs.

Comment

I'm hatin' on the 5150 cab at the moment. The suns finally out so I should get back to building my 2x12.

The JSX cab speakers are (rumour alert) supposed to be based on v30's, but I think they sound a little muffled. I rekon your broken in cab with the real deal would be perfect for this amp.

As an aside, and to confirm said icepick status of these speakers, I ran the presence 4-5 with a jcm900 cab, and its around 1 and lower with the 5150 cab to get rid of the horrible highs'!

Comment

OK I tried a set of 6L6C in this thing today.
                        I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the El34's.
                        it lost it's "growl" and it actually lost some of it's clear note articulation (which is one of the things I love about this amp.)
                        I popped in a tung sol reissue into V1 and that smoothed it out a little bit.

maybe opend up wide it would sound better with the 6L6's but in my house at lower volumes the EL34's kick ass.
                        what tubes are you othe JSX ownder running this thing with?

Comment

OK I tried a set of 6L6C in this thing today.
                          I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the El34's.
                          it lost it's "growl" and it actually lost some of it's clear note articulation (which is one of the things I love about this amp.)
                          I popped in a tung sol reissue into V1 and that smoothed it out a little bit.

maybe opend up wide it would sound better with the 6L6's but in my house at lower volumes the EL34's kick ass.
                          what tubes are you othe JSX ownder running this thing with?
                          Which brand 6L6s? That is totally contrary to my experience with 6L6s and that amp. I can't remember what I ended up with on mine (DSS something or other bought it from me and posted some stellar clips of it) but that really surprises me. Did you check the bias on the amp other than flicking the EL34/6L6 switch?

Pete

Comment

ya Pete, believe me I was surpsrised as well.
                            they were a Fresh set of JJ 6L6C's (it came with JJ EL34).
                            I just got them today (now in the classifieds)
                            I have a bias probe and I biased to 39Ma.
                            don't get me wrong it sounded good but it lost it's "growl" and it actually
                            sounded muddier than with the EL34's and it lost some of it's "glassy" tone which I love.
                            I think I'll try some KT77's, see if that gets me somewhere in the middle but , I'm really liking it with the El34's

Comment

Oh, one other thing - I ran mine with GT75 loaded Marshall JCM800 and 900 cabs. Sounded great, but those cabs are 'scoopy' to begin with. I've heard a lot of guys bitch about a 'notched wah' sound on the JSX, I think the GT75's helped alleviate that.

Pete

Comment

I was worried about that "wah" mid range honk too, but my V30's are
                                broken in really well and I get none of that. My Legacy cab sounds
                                surprisingly smooth for a V30 loaded cab.

I'm home sick with Strep, so I may be able to record something today if I
                                can drab my ass out of bed so you can check it out.

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                                Oh, one other thing - I ran mine with GT75 loaded Marshall JCM800 and 900 cabs. Sounded great, but those cabs are 'scoopy' to begin with. I've heard a lot of guys bitch about a 'notched wah' sound on the JSX, I think the GT75's helped alleviate that.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X