No announcement yet.

JB fans report in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cand stand them... I used to like it until I started using EMG's and other Duncans (Custom Custom, Dime, '59, etc) and now I cant stand it. Ive got them in two guitars and they just sound dull and muddy compared to the rest. Strange because I used to really like it.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I also found it (JB)to sound sort of dark or a bit muddy compared to the Duncan distortion pickup, which is one of my favorites ever.

Comment

I have one in my Gibson V, and I'm thinking of putting the stock 500T back in. I bought it used with the JB already in it, and the dude was cool enough to through the 500T in with the deal.

Somehow the JB is sounding a bit thin to me even out of the the all mahogany V.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
          The ones I've had were pretty inconsistent. Overall I like them, but sometimes you get a bad one.
          That I'll agree with. I have an '80s one that's lights-out great, and a '90s Jackson OEM one that's pretty good, but I had a couple of bad ones. The output/DC resistance has seemingly been going up through the '90s, too...

I had a 7 string JB rewound by Wolfe at Wolfetone to have a similar resistance to my '80s (6 string) JB, and it sounds awesome.
          Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I used Jb for a while on My RR-1.. nice sounding, but soon I switched to EMG 81.
            SEPTYCAL GORGE MySpace page
            SEPTYCAL GORGE official website

Comment

Originally posted by Randog View Post
              I have a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Duncan JB in the neck of my Jackson.

That guitar screams.
              I have this combination in 3 of my guitars... 2 Soloists and a R8 Les Paul.

Comment

What size tone pot and cap typically works the best with the JB? I looking to use one at the bridge with a poplar body and ebony board.

Comment

I have a lot of JB pickups. I am indeed a fan of the JB but a fan of Seymour Duncan products in general.
                  I did have 7 guitars with JB in the bridge and just purely for the sake of variety I changed one out to a custom wound model from another pickup maker.
                  So...Seymour Duncan...
                  6 JB in bridge
                  2 '59 in neck
                  4 pairs of the SL-1 single coils in middle and neck
                  1 Jazz in neck
                  1 Custom 5 in bridge
                  1 Distortion in bridge

That's the most pickups by any one maker that I have.
                  My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

I love the JB. it's my favorite pup. I have one that came in the Contemporary strat i picked up on Christmas. And it sounds incredable. Alder boies are great for this pup. It is an older pup tho. The newer ones may need a 250k pot to take off some of those highs. But its fat. warm , hot and not muddy at all. I have about 5 other JBs laying in my tool box too. I need to get guitars for. I've had the JB/59 combo in a Les Paul CST too. And it was killer. I've been thinking about swapping out the custom custom in my 750XL for one of the JB's too see what it sounds like. But i really like the Custom Custom in there. I've also had JB's in Strats, Soloists, Dean Baby ML's, And a few other things i cant remember right now. But yeah you could say im a fan of the JB.
                    Gil

Comment

My 87 Kramer baretta II sounds killer with its original JB.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Depends on the guitar but in the right ax a JB can be pure magic! I have two of them right now both are Grover Jackson era USA Washburn customs. In my MG 102 with a swamp ash body and bolton neck it is a little bright but cuts through well in the mix for solos. In my Mahogany neck and body neck through Stevie Salas which is a REALLY dark guitar it is SO sweet and singing!!
                        My favorite Duncan right now is the Duncan Forum only Crazy 8 I have. THAT is a TONE MONSTER !!!!

Comment

It's hard to beat the Duncan JB (bridge) and `59 model (neck) combo!
                          But if it for some reason it doesn't sound right, try a combo that I discovered! Sounds great in place of them. A Duncan Custom 5 (bridge) and a DiMarzio P.A.F. (neck), this combo particulary sounds great with the Mahogany/Maple top guitars!

Comment

I have JBs in a few of my guitars:

Dinky XL Professional w\ Floyd (basswood)
                            JDX-94 Concept w\ hardtail (basswood)
                            DK2M w\ Floyd (alder)

In the basswood guitars, the JB gets somewhat muddy on the low end, but the mids and highs are nice for leads through a cranked tube amp. The DK2M is a bit tighter in the low range, but a bit harsh on the high end. Overall, I consider the JB to be a good all-around pickup that unfortunately has a few weaknesses, "jack of all trades, master of none" if you will. I like its tone in general, but once you stray from the midrange frequencies that the JB likes so much, it gets a bit frustrating to work with. I use them live and for recording leads, but usually end up using a Full Shred or Invader when I am focusing strictly on rhythm parts.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X