Amp opinion needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp opinion needed

So, Ive been looking at amp heads. Im kinda on a budget so tubes is out. I dont play in a band and mainly at home for fun. I like distortion. From mild to bone crushing. Has anyone here ever played a randall RH100.

Its not the G2 model. Its under $200 with footswitch. Is it better than say a marshall mg series or a line 6 spider? Does it make useable tones or is it just a buzzy box, aka one trick pony. Its supposed to be in full working order. Can it do a milder marshally type thing as well as the bone crushing stuff?

I haven't but maybe you can find something here. http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/index.php
    Just one more guitar!

Comment

I'd say if you aren't playing in a band, go with the Line 6. Wide variety of modeled sounds, and it will make you smile. I've been through a LOT of brands, and I've never been impressed with a Randall anything.

Comment

Yeah, me neither. I find them to be too dark for my liking. Never seems like there's enough gain, too. Lot's of people dig em. I'm just one of them, I guess. The one exception was a solid state, Randall RXRX120DHS half stack. The guys at the store were raving about it, so I decided to humor them. Turned out that it was pretty nice sounding, and just enough gain. Only thing that was weird about it, was that I wanted to add in just a little more mids on the dirty channel, and when I brought the mid knob up past 9, the high end nose-dived. Odd.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by RoadRacerX View Post
          I'd say if you aren't playing in a band, go with the Line 6. Wide variety of modeled sounds, and it will make you smile. I've been through a LOT of brands, and I've never been impressed with a Randall anything.
          Yeah, Ive got a flextone combo which is ok. Theres just something about the sound that kinda bores me. Its probably the stock speaker. Ive heard that changing it out makes it sound like a totally new amp. Maybe some day. Im looking for a head to go with my 4x12 cab. The crate power block by itself doesnt really have enough gain for me, and using the vamp pro with the block as the power amp yields mixed results. Maybe Im just sick of modeling. I fired up my old marshall lead 20 combo the other day, turned up the gain, and thought, wow, thats the kind of crunch Im looking for. But that amp has no cab out, just a headphone jack and a 10 inch speaker. (Im thinking of adding one). So, Im basically looking for a cheapish plug-in and go type head that will give me massive crunch without pedals and such. Ive been searching ebay and came up with the randall. I had bought a b-52 ss head for cheap a few weeks ago but it arrived broken, and yes, it sounded like ass anyway. So, Im basically open to anything brand wise.

Comment

It sounds better in person, but here's a vid of my RG75G2 I recorded with my EMG81'd V and this is on the "low gain" channel. For under $200 I don't think you can beat that thing, Spiders and MGs sound like crap imo. All guitar sound the same through spiders and MGs just don't give me a sound I like, not tight enough.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

when I brought the mid knob up past 9, the high end nose-dived. Odd.
            Yeah, the controls on Randalls really change the sound once you crank them up quite a bit.

Comment

Yes, its better than an MG or a Spyder.

If you want bone crushing great distortion and lots of other features for home use I would suggest something by Tech 21, the Roland Cube series or a Line 6 Flextone.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                Yes, its better than an MG or a Spyder.

If you want bone crushing great distortion and lots of other features for home use I would suggest something by Tech 21, the Roland Cube series or a Line 6 Flextone.

+1
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

good distortion pedal + epiphone valve juinor
                  www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

If you already have the Powerblock, why not spend the $ you have to get something nice to put in front of it? As much as I hate PODs, you could get one of those with your $200.00.

Comment

dej915, Thanks for the clip. I like the way that sounds with hose Zakk sounding harmonics. Maybe I need to try some emgs too. I will try to score that amp head if the bidding doesnt go too high. The buy it now is gone.

JG I already have a flextone combo. Its sounding kinda dull to me. I think it may be the crummy Line6 speaker. Any ideas for a good replacement?

guitar08man, funny you should mention that as my valve junior is currently listed in the classifieds for sale. It was fun but not exactly what I was looking for.

Randog, I have the Vamp pro set up with the power block already and it seems to be missing something like the flextone is. Maybe its just modeling in general that Im tiring of, I dunno.

Thanks all for the ideas, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                        dej915, Thanks for the clip. I like the way that sounds with hose Zakk sounding harmonics. Maybe I need to try some emgs too. I will try to score that amp head if the bidding doesnt go too high. The buy it now is gone.

JG I already have a flextone combo. Its sounding kinda dull to me. I think it may be the crummy Line6 speaker. Any ideas for a good replacement?

guitar08man, funny you should mention that as my valve junior is currently listed in the classifieds for sale. It was fun but not exactly what I was looking for.

Randog, I have the Vamp pro set up with the power block already and it seems to be missing something like the flextone is. Maybe its just modeling in general that Im tiring of, I dunno.

What series and model flextone is it?

Comment

Its an original flextone plus. Its got that black speaker that says custom made for line6 by emminence on it. I have the extension 1x12 also with a shiny red backed speaker but it doesnt say celestion on it like the newer ones do.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post

lol, oops. Sucks you it didnt do what you were looking for. I love mine.
                            www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

Working...
                            X