No announcement yet.

Favorite 4x12 cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i really love the old mesa half back cabs. c90's open in the top and vin 30's sealed in the bottom.

any good quality construction cab with the right speakers for your rig and the tones you are going for is the best cab for you.

13ply baltic birtch is considered top of the line materials.

avatar makes a killer vintage marshall 4x12 style cab. www.avatarspeakers.com

how much are you looking to spend? are you looking for new, used, or custom?
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
      i really love the old mesa half back cabs. c90's open in the top and vin 30's sealed in the bottom.
      Their sound is close to perfection to my ears.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I dont have that much experience with 4/12 cabs... started with an
        80's Kustom 4/12 that i THOUGHT sounded great until i purchase a
        fat bottom VHT 4/12 cab!! Oh...my....GOD! Brutal...pristine...
        razor sharp... defined... tight... i cant go on with any more superlatives!
        Its the best thing ive ever experienced thru a VHT 2/90/2 stereo amp
        and a Boss GT-8 Magical

Comment

Mesa Boogie Oversized Recto cabs. The reason is that they have enough bottom end to move internal organs.
          Played an Engl XXL ? That'll shake everything - I had a slant Rectocab and now i have an XXL (straight w. slant front) and an Engl Pro (both v30) - XXL is much tighter and the bass is more deep , both cabs are superior to the mesa when it comes to clarity - mesa in a dark room was a PITA when it comes to cutting through the mix.

Well - those are my opinions but I played deathmetal so what do i know about "good sound"

Right now those two are being run together and after I'll get an ampswitcher will be run A+B (Pro for the bass heavy amp )

I'm not bashing the mesa - actually if I'd have to pay the price you guys are paying for them in the States I could be happy enough.
          It was a really brilliant cab for i.e. thrashmetal, slower types of metal (imho)

Speakers ? Vintage 30's - if it isn't broken don't fix it - altough i have some gas for the Framus Cobra Cab which is frontloaded with GB's and a sealed back.

PS.It really depends on what kind of bottom end you want - I want a tight one with really clear mids - Rectocabs are kinda "sludgy" and "slow" in the bottom end.

Comment

Originally posted by thenine View Post
            my UberKab is the best Ive heard. Have a listen to any Bogner cab before buying something else.
            +1 for the Uberkab

Comment

Played an Engl XXL ? That'll shake everything - I had a slant Rectocab and now i have an XXL (straight w. slant front) and an Engl Pro (both v30) - XXL is much tighter and the bass is more deep , both cabs are superior to the mesa when it comes to clarity - mesa in a dark room was a PITA when it comes to cutting through the mix.
              100% agree about the Engl cab. Played one at an outdoor gig with my 5150 head. Sounded killer.

I normally run a traditional sized mesa 4x12 with v30's. IMO the traditional mesa cab sounds better than the oversized one. Not nearly as dark. I've compared them side by side with the other guitarist on my former band.

The Splawn cabinates are really nice too. Splawn makes a KILLER amp.

Comment

MJL927 - I've heard nothing but good things about those splawn cabs - unfortunately You can't check them in Europe

If you can - get a old Kettner cab with either Greenbacks or V30's - excellent cabs , frontloaded (typically came with metal grille - those are early 90's production IIRC and can be quite cheap - at least in Germany) - very nice cabs.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and recommendations. I am gonna try out a bunch of cabs this weekend and see what I like best.

Comment

In preference order

Bogner
                    VHT
                    SPLAWN
                    Marshall
                    Soldano
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

shawn, do you know what speakers are in each?
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                        shawn, do you know what speakers are in each?
                        sure...

Bogner - V30
                        VHT - P50E
                        Splawn - Emminence Gov'ner and Man o war in an x pattern
                        Marshall - Celestion G12T75 or whatever the 75 watt model # is
                        Soldano - V30's

My Boogie 1x12 cab and combo both havte the C90's and I really like that speaker ..would love to try them in a 4x12

Cab construction as a lot to do with it as well. Although the Bogner and Soldano have the same V30 speakers the Bogner is built with thiocker wood..its a little bigger than the Soldano tho..
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

i have a randall 412CXM, metal grill, Celestion 70-80s, And its not too heavy to tote around. Sounds great.
                          ----------
                          Gear Action - Washburn Dime 2ST Pro, BC Rich NT Jr. V w/EMG, Dean DFH/CFH, Dean V-Coustic, Jackson USA KV2, Peavey 5150 II, Randall 412CXM, BBE 362 Sonic maximizer, Alesis 3630 noise gate

Comment

Working...
                          X