Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switchless wahs

Hello

I currently own a Morley Bad Horsie wah and I love it. The MAIN thing I love about it is it's simplicity both in design and in function. I believe it's an amazing idea to have a switchless wah, SPECIALLY if you use wah when playing live, since you don't need to perform a dual action to turn it on, meaning, pressing down the pedal and returning to heel down position so that you start the sweep correctly. Instead, you just press it and off you go, of course, due to the spring.

the only thing I don't like and makes me wanna try out some new wahs is the tone itself. I mean, it sounds great, but compared to a Vox Clyde McCoy... it's not that good. I had a Vox Clyde before and it was the BEST tone I've ever heard, that sweet bell-like effect, the warmth and vocal-like tones, everything was great... except it had a switch to press Now, for some people it may not be a very big deal but I'm also the lead singer in the band and I don't have time to think about pressing the switch, etc etc. That's where the Morley wins.

I was wondering if there are any other switchless wahs in the market BESIDES the following:

-ANY Morley wah
    -Crybaby 95Q
    -Ibanez wah

If so, let me know!

George Dennis has 3 or 4 different models of switchless wah's ... I owned one in the past and loved it ... then let someone snooker me out of it ......

It was very smooth and vocal .... not a Vox Clyde .. but still quite nice ..... As you know, when it comes to a beautiful wah tone, it really starts getting hard to beat the Clyde.
    My gear can be seen here

http://www.myspace.com/kevinspeace

or here ....
    http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/kevinspeace/

Comment

Hey those wahs do look great. They also look "unique", very 90's I guess.

Now, there's this GD50 Elite Wah, true bypass. Looks amazing, it says it's the most vocal of all.

I need to know, are these wah's spring loaded and switchless? Do they have some built in distortion or something like that? (they seem to).

Let me know

Comment

My 535Q is awesome and it gives you a "feel" you normally don't play..I played that fucker for hours today..i LOVE it!

It's not switchless but who cares ..it's covers any "vocal" tones and freq sweeps you need...there is actually too much tweakage to it..that's why I was playing it for hours!

I going through a Uli/Mike Amott faze..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hey LeoKV2 -- You hit the nail on the head on all points ... like a bad horsie they are spring loaded & switchless (optical) .... as well, some models have a built in effect. They are very unique, and I never had a lack of people asking me what in the world it was, and where I got it.

That is one I wish I still had.

~kevin
          My gear can be seen here

or here ....

Comment

OK, thought I'd go into further detail on the different models of the Dennis wah's ....

GD30
            WAH-WAH PEDAL

Based on the superb Jimi Hendrix Wah-Wah sound, the GD 30, with its „90s“ build and component quality offers much, much more. With exceptionally pronounced Wah-Wah effects which can also be switched to bypass mode the GD30 is ideal for today’s musical styles.

GD55
            WAH-OVERDRIVE

The George Dennis Wah-Overdrive pedal works as either a Wah-Wah pedal, and as an Overdrive pedal. In the Wah-Wah mode, the pedal works by applying a high-gain bandpass filter to the signal, the resonant frequency of the filter being controlled by the position of the pedal. Rocking the pedal back and forth produces the distinctive Wah-Wah effect. In the overdrive mode, the color of overdrive is now controlled by the position of the pedal.
            Controls: overdrive, volume, contour.

GD60
            WAH-VOLUME-SWITCH PEDAL

„One hell of a pedal“ - the GD60 combines three great effects pedals in one. Firstly the unmistakable Jimi Hendrix Wah-Wah sound as used in the GD30, secondly the smooth, clean noise-free volume and lastly dual frequency control allowing sculptured sound.
            Controls: high/low frequency range, volume.

GD40
            WAH-SWITCH PLUS PEDAL

The GD40 is the second generation of the GD30 pedal, utilising the Hendrix Wah-Wah sound with the addition of dual Frequency switching allowing you to sculpture the sound around your tastes and instrument. Unlike other Wah pedals, the George Dennis Wah-Wah has an extra
            wide frequency range to accomodate both guitar and bass.
            Controls: high/low frequency range.

Wah Switch + Hi Position

Wah Switch + Lo Position

GD65
            PARAMETRIC WAH-VOLUME

This is the standard application of GD30 Wah-Wah with the advantage that each musician can choose the controls. It is possible to select the bandwidth and overtune in.
            Controls: quality, frequency, level, volume, minimum volume.
            Parametric Wah-Volume

The wah I had was the GD35, which was basically the GD30 with true bypass ..... there are also a few others listed on different distributors websites, but, these are what george dennis lists as current .....

~kevin
            Last edited by USA Fusion; 06-16-2007, 08:22 AM.
            My gear can be seen here

or here ....

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              My 535Q is awesome and it gives you a "feel" you normally don't play..I played that fucker for hours today..i LOVE it!

It's not switchless but who cares ..it's covers any "vocal" tones and freq sweeps you need...there is actually too much tweakage to it..that's why I was playing it for hours!

I going through a Uli/Mike Amott faze..
              Well, if it's not switchless then I don't really need it, I don't need to press a switch on my Morley and that' awesome. Plus, if I'd choose a regular wah, I'd get a RMC Picture wah with my eyes closed.

Comment

USA Fusion... Are you sure they're switchless? I mean, it says that you need to go all the way up to hit the tiny switch under the rubber bulge on the casing. On the website.

Or does it work exactly like a Morley ?

Comment

Hey Leo, I know that mine was infact switchless .... thats why it was replaced with a morley ... but, lemme contact one of my parts guys and i'll have an answer later this evening .....

~kevin
                  My gear can be seen here

or here ....

Comment

Consider the Bad Horsie II??

Comment

Try the Tremonti. I love it. It's advertised as being a mix between classic and modern wah sounds and it has a gain boost.
                      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Nah I just need a plain simple wah vocal characteristics. No volume or gain boosts or knobs or Q controls.

Comment

Working...
                        X