Cab to go with a Crate Power Block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab to go with a Crate Power Block?

I have use only use combos in the past. Now I want to run my GNX1 through a 2x12 cab using the crate power block. The reason I want a 2x12 instead of a 4x12 is cost really. I am open for any suggestions here. I want to stick around the 200 to 400 range in cost. I mostly play metal "justice for all" sound and sometimes break out my strat for some blues/southern rock. Thanks for any input. Take it easy.

I use a avatar premier vintage 2x12 (the over sized one) with my pb. This clip was using vintage 30's.

http://www.5thfret.com/crate.mp3
    "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Carvin cabs are nice and inexpensive. www.carvin.com They have 2x12 and 4x12, some with V30s.
      My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Oh, and how do you like the powerblock?
        My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Hey I'm useing the power block with Genz Benz 2x12 the Gflex I run it through my GNX4 the only thing I added was a BBE 362 maximiser & a Korg rack tuner... the people next door Hate me on the weekends.
          According To The Prophecy

Comment

Just be careful running 2 cabs with the Powerblock. From what I understand, if you run 2 cabs with it they both have to be 4 ohm cabs. Conversely, 1 cab operation requires that it be 8 ohm. Deviating from this can jack up the PB.

Comment

Originally posted by Randog View Post
              Just be careful running 2 cabs with the Powerblock. From what I understand, if you run 2 cabs with it they both have to be 4 ohm cabs. Conversely, 1 cab operation requires that it be 8 ohm. Deviating from this can jack up the PB.
              I agree - make sure the resistance is EXACTLY what the manual recommends. If not, it'll clip out and be WORTHLESS. I ended up not being able to use one - I think I was trying to run it at 8 ohms stereo. No volume, and it farted out constantly. When back to the store 15 minutes later.

Comment

Originally posted by Randog View Post
                No, you need two 8-ohm cabs. I own a Powerblock. Two 8-ohm cabs running together off the PB will give you 4 ohms (and it will be at 75 watts RMS per channel). Make sure the mono/stereo button is out to give you stereo operation.

If you run one cab, it should be 8 ohms (150 watts RMS). Make sure the mono/stereo button is pushed in for mono operation.

You can even email Crate if you don't believe me.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  No, you need two 8-ohm cabs. I own a Powerblock. Two 8-ohm cabs running together off the PB will give you 4 ohms (and it will be at 75 watts RMS per channel). Make sure the mono/stereo button is out to give you stereo operation.

If you run one cab, it should be 8 ohms (150 watts RMS). Make sure the mono/stereo button is pushed in for mono operation.

You can even email Crate if you don't believe me.
                  Interesting. I'll have to try that.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am having a hard time finding a 2x12 cab to go with it. I dont need anything great but so far I have found cheaper 4x12. I really dont need all the power though.

Comment

I have a powerblock too and am going to be running a POD through the powerblock to a 212 cab. I haven't purchased speakers yet, so tell me, what would be better for this set up, 2 16 ohm speakers in parallel or 2 4 ohm speakers in series?

Comment

I only like it for clean and a mild blues/crunch. Don't care for the higher gain.
                        "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

i like mine.

as long as the cab is rated higher than the powerblocks speaker out you'll be alright.

you can run a 16 ohm cab into the 8 ohm mono out, but you shouldn't run a 4 ohm cab into he 8 ohm out. and if you run 2 4 ohm cabs off the 2 4 ohm speaker outs, make sure you have the switch set to stereo operation. run 2 8 ohm cabs off the 2 4 ohm outs but only in mono. otherwise you could damage the head, or at best, have crappy sound.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                            run 2 8 ohm cabs off the 2 4 ohm outs but only in mono. otherwise you could damage the head, or at best, have crappy sound.
                            You need to run it in stereo with two 8-ohm cabs coming out of the two 4-ohm jacks. Those 4-ohm jacks are not 4 ohms each... they're 4 ohms when running two 8-ohm cabs out of them together. It's the same concept like my old Mesa/Boogie F-30 combo amp with one 8-ohm out (for the 8-ohm combo speaker), and two 4-ohm outs for two 8-ohm extension cabs. I emailed Crate about this awhile ago, and that's what they informed me.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

so what would be the loading if you ran 2 4 ohm cabs in mono?
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X