Laney GH vs JCM800 reissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney GH vs JCM800 reissue

Which should I go for? I`m a Jake E Lee nut but I`m not sure whether the Laney is more versatile.

How do the JCM800 ri's compare to the originals?

Cheers

I have a GH50 and an original 800. I think the 800 sounds a lot better tone wise but it is not as versatile. I find it hard to get a good clean/distorted combo from the Marshall but it has a nicer distortion. If you can I'd say try out the 2 amps so that you can make up your own mind. Also I wouldn't bother getting a re-issue - I'm fairly sure its cheaper to get an original one.
    Here's mine

Comment

I was thinking a reissue for the effects loop.

Comment

I forgot about the newer JCM models ahving 2 channels. Mine has only 1 which is why its hard to get cleans. The only problem I see with the re-issue is that at its price you could probably find a better all round amp. Its not bad at all though.

Comment

Peavey JSX.

Comment

Even cheaper in price but sounds just is good is the peavey ultra's, sound alot better then the XXX's.

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
            Peavey JSX.

Comment

If you like British-style tones, you should also audition a Mesa Boogie Stiletto. If you are trying to stay at the 50-watt level, you would probably be interested in the Stiletto Ace.
              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Well, I was a Laney player before going Carvin (best thing to do).

I had the GH100TI Iommi head and matching cab. The Laney cabs are made in China, ALL of them, even the "British" models, the only thing that changes is the speaker model.

The head had a tone very similar to the GH100L or GH50L, in fact, it was the same thing. The guys at Laney say "yeah, the Iommi head is super cool, it runs with a permanent with 5 gain stages on". No problem, the GH100L and GH50L have 5 stages of gain too, but they're not permanent, you just need to press a footswitch. Lame marketing technique. Now, as far as the distortion, which is the same as the GH100L or GH50L (although I can't remember if those came with stock 6L6's or EL34's... my Iommi came with 34's), it's not THAT brutal as they like to call it.

For example, I play with a KV2 with dual EMG 81's. And the gain wwas just enough to play good heavy hard rock, some "ocassional" hard rock palm-mutings, etc. But if you're play thrash or death or even heavy metal and you need great palm-muteable gain, chuggy stuff, this is not cool. Unless you throw a booster pedal (SD-1 or something) then it's great... like all Marshalls with a booster (except the JMP-1 which DOESN'T need nothing, awesome metal gain).

The GH100L and 50L have 2 channels, mine had only one. As far as reliability, let me tell you one thing. It doesn't work right. Mine stopped working after 3 months of very little use. The power amp section was kinda like "turned off" and you could only hear the preamp's tinny tone sounding on the speakers, very weird. My dealer here in Peru replaced the head (after an 8 month wait) and then, when I tried out the new Carvin V3... 100% made in USA, Groove Tubes stock, MIDI controllable, Vintage 30's in the cab and at a FACTORY DIRECT PRICE? It was a no brainer. Sold the crappy Laney, got me this 3 channel beast, the best there is. (yeah, factory direct price means $1500 for the halfstack... 100% tube, 100% USA made, etc etc.) And does EVERYTHING, from jazz to blues to rock to hard rock up to death metal, which I play. No booster pedals needed at all (if you have EMG's).
                Last edited by LEOKV2; 06-19-2007, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                  Well, I was a Laney player before going Carvin (best thing to do).

I had the GH100TI Iommi head and matching cab. The Laney cabs are made in China, ALL of them, even the "British" models, the only thing that changes is the speaker model.

The head had a tone very similar to the GH100L or GH50L, in fact, it was the same thing. The guys at Laney say "yeah, the Iommi head is super cool, it runs with a permanent with 5 gain stages on". No problem, the GH100L and GH50L have 5 stages of gain too, but they're not permanent, you just need to press a footswitch. Lame marketing technique. Now, as far as the distortion, which is the same as the GH100L or GH50L (although I can't remember if those came with stock 6L6's or EL34's... my Iommi came with 34's), it's not THAT brutal as they like to call it.

For example, I play with a KV2 with dual EMG 81's. And the gain wwas just enough to play good heavy hard rock, some "ocassional" hard rock palm-mutings, etc. But if you're play thrash or death or even heavy metal and you need great palm-muteable gain, chuggy stuff, this is not cool. Unless you throw a booster pedal (SD-1 or something) then it's great... like all Marshalls with a booster (except the JMP-1 which DOESN'T need nothing, awesome metal gain).

The GH100L and 50L have 2 channels, mine had only one. As far as reliability, let me tell you one thing. It doesn't work right. Mine stopped working after 3 months of very little use. The power amp section was kinda like "turned off" and you could only hear the preamp's tinny tone sounding on the speakers, very weird. My dealer here in Peru replaced the head (after an 8 month wait) and then, when I tried out the new Carvin V3... 100% made in USA, Groove Tubes stock, MIDI controllable, Vintage 30's in the cab and at a FACTORY DIRECT PRICE? It was a no brainer. Sold the crappy Laney, got me this 3 channel beast, the best there is. (yeah, factory direct price means $1500 for the halfstack... 100% tube, 100% USA made, etc etc.) And does EVERYTHING, from jazz to blues to rock to hard rock up to death metal, which I play. No booster pedals needed at all (if you have EMG's).

I have GH50L and it has 1 channel and the "2." channel is actually extra drive stage.
                  http://www.myspace.com/insidemycasket

Comment

Originally posted by Allu View Post
                    I have GH50L and it has 1 channel and the "2." channel is actually extra drive stage.
                    Yeah, that.

Comment

Working...
                    X