Boogie Triple Rec solo 150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boogie Triple Rec solo 150

ANyone have one of these heads? How are they anyway? I am contimplating buying one. Lemme know dudes

Nevermind the Triple Recto. It has way too much headroom, and that's a big NO NO if you play metal or hard rock and you like good strong saturated distortion. Headroom is a word to describe the amount of "clear volume" you can get before it starts to distort. This is very good for CLEAN GUITAR.

Plus, the difference in "loudness" is barely noticeable, remember, it's not like a 150 watt head sounds "three times as loud" as a 50 watt head. Actually, the difference would be like 2 or 3 decibels I think, and it's really unnecesary. The difference comes in terms of headroom, like I said.

The Dual Rectifier head sounds MUCH better than the Triple Recto, specially in the distortion channel, trust me. But, if you really wanna go the logical way, get a Carvin V3 and be truly happy.

Comment

Had one, loved it, sold it, regretted that.

It's a little loud, but sounded great. Maybe a Dual Recto is a more reasonable sonic level option. I sold it to buy a Stiletto..what a joke! I really miss that amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Albertson View Post
        Had one, loved it, sold it, regretted that.

It's a little loud, but sounded great. Maybe a Dual Recto is a more reasonable sonic level option. I sold it to buy a Stiletto..what a joke! I really miss that amp.
        Well, it's not "louder" than the Dual Recto, that I can asure you, my band rehearses at a studio which was a Dual and a Triple and when they're at the same volume setting, they sound the same. It's kinda like a psychological thing I guess. Before buying my Carvin V3, I was also guided towards the Triple Rectifier mostly because I thought that it was better than a Dual because it had more watts and more tubes, weird, it took a lot of time to understand that it's the way around and that those factors mean nothing.

Comment

The triple is great. Especially if you play arena's. The dual is great. Its almost as loud as the triple. Its crazy loud and more than enough for any size venue. The single is fantastic. It is plenty loud too. It just doesn't have all the options like the dual and triple. It sounds just as good though in my opinion.
          You really can't go wrong with any rectifier. Single, Dual and Triple. Any series, any year. They are all great. I am partial to the newer ones with the seperate footswitchable and adjustable solo control. Especially if you are a lead guitar player.

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
            Nevermind the Triple Recto. It has way too much headroom, and that's a big NO NO if you play metal or hard rock and you like good strong saturated distortion. Headroom is a word to describe the amount of "clear volume" you can get before it starts to distort. This is very good for CLEAN GUITAR.
            Actually, on an amp that gets most of it's overdrive from the preamp, the higher wattage gives you more bottom end and authority. Your information is great if you're talking about an old marshall where to really get the goods you've got to grind the power tubes, but most amps that generate the drive from the preamp are just going to get mushy when the power tubes and transformer starts to saturate.

Besides, if you had a mesa's master volume cranked to get the 'good saturated distortion' - it would fuck mightily with your clean channel.

Having said that, there is a sweet spot with most amps where they come alive... but on the rectifiers I've owned (early pre #200 SN dual, two dual recto rackmounts, a single recto) it wasn't cranked up to 10, more like around 3 or so.

Pete

Comment

Plus, the difference in "loudness" is barely noticeable, remember, it's not like a 150 watt head sounds "three times as loud" as a 50 watt head. Actually, the difference would be like 2 or 3 decibels I think, and it's really unnecesary. The difference comes in terms of headroom, like I said.

The Dual Rectifier head sounds MUCH better than the Triple Recto, specially in the distortion channel, trust me. But, if you really wanna go the logical way, get a Carvin V3 and be truly happy.
              I've played pretty much with all the different Mesa Boogie series ever made, Triple Rec is by far the most metal sounding.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

No such thing as too much headroom when all your gain is from the preamp. The triple is the most agressive sounding of the rectifier series - and I've owned (triple, RK) or played (dual, single, trem) all of them except the new Roadster.

The concept that the triple is only useful if you're playing arenas is BS that seems to be perpetuated by people on the internet who have never actually played them. I'll spare this board the tirade I posted over on SevenString.org
                ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                  Having said that, there is a sweet spot with most amps where they come alive... but on the rectifiers I've owned (early pre #200 SN dual, two dual recto rackmounts, a single recto) it wasn't cranked up to 10, more like around 3 or so.
                  I have actually found that the rectos get mushy when you get much above 1/2. Around 3 or 4 they seem to really open up without saturating the powertubes.
                  ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Well, I've played with the amps and I actually found the Triple to be the LESS "metal sounding". The Dual had much more definition, CHUG, and tone, the Triple was just plain dead. The cleans on the Triple were much better though. But the best Mesa I've ever played with? Stiletto. It was great. But, the best AMP I've ever played? Carvin V3, hands down.

And yeah... "if you play arenas" has NOTHING to do, I mean... do people actually think that you're gonna have the amp cranked? You have to mic the amp anyway to get it to sound through the P.A., so you could actually be playing with a Fender Junior and get the same volume.

Comment

Well, I've played with the amps and I actually found the Triple to be the LESS "metal sounding". The Dual had much more definition, CHUG, and tone, the Triple was just plain dead. The cleans on the Triple were much better though. But the best Mesa I've ever played with? Stiletto. It was great. But, the best AMP I've ever played? Carvin V3, hands down.

And yeah... "if you play arenas" has NOTHING to do, I mean... do people actually think that you're gonna have the amp cranked? You have to mic the amp anyway to get it to sound through the P.A., so you could actually be playing with a Fender Junior and get the same volume.
                      I'm just curious, what stage/live/recording experience do you have with the amps that you're discussing in this thread? Playing them at GC doesn't count.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                        I'm just curious, what stage/live/recording experience do you have with the amps that you're discussing in this thread? Playing them at GC doesn't count.

Pete
                        Dude I live in Peru, we don't have "GC" here. If you read CLOSELY I clearly said, every 3 days a week, I rehearse for 2 hours on a rehearsal studio which has both amps, the Dual and the Triple. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Dude I live in Peru, we don't have "GC" here. If you read CLOSELY I clearly said, every 3 days a week, I rehearse for 2 hours on a rehearsal studio which has both amps, the Dual and the Triple. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.
                          Your first statement on this thread is ironclad proof of your knowledge. You certainly know what you're talking about.

Pete

Comment

Of course man. Don't you know what headroom is? Sure, amps that use loads of preamp gain are not that much of a great example, but it does happen anyway, these are tube amps and they do have compression, headroom and stuff that does affect every tube amp regardless of the design.

I have A/B'd both amps, many times, with the same guitar and settings, and the Dual happens to sound better, way more CHUGGY and compressed, more organic. The Triple sounds less "metal" for that matter and to me it sounds cold and plain, without that much gain. On the other hand, when recording, we always use the Triple for the cleans since they sound better (specially if you use high gain pickups) than the Dual rectifier, and this is a fact.

At home I have the Carvin V3 and that's the best thing I have played/owned, so far, so I don't have "at home" experience with the Recto's, but, I play with them at "band rehearsal volume" (meaning, loud) for 3 times a week, that's 6 hours per week, that's a lot of time, my bedroom amp gets like 3 hours a month.

Comment

My dual rec was ridiculously loud when it hit the "sweet spot" where I liked the sound. I'm talking the Master was just over a quarter of the way up and the thing was LOUD! That's fine for some people but I wanted something that had a better loop and sounded better at lower volumes so I ended up picking up a JSX and it's great. I'm not a fan of high stage volume. That's what we buy PA's for.

Comment

Working...
                              X