Boogie Triple Rec solo 150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingv2002 View Post
    Video games Seriously I mostly play old type metal like priest, maiden, sabbath, ozzy newer stuff like tool or breaking benjamin, classic rock sometimes.

But I also like to mess around with blues and clean type stuff now and again So I like versatility
    dude, Dual sounds kinda "smoother" and better for the stuff you want to play... but I would check out Single Recto or Stilletto like Spivonious mentioned.... I'm not saying that Dual or Triple wont work for you but these may work even better
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I thought with the triple ya know the 3 channels and 8 modes it would be more versatile. Stiletto trident maybe??

Comment

yep, all mesa boogie amps are very versatile
        and while dual and triple recto have many settings and 3 channels... with Stiletto you can have many different tonalities with only one setting.... playing with volume and tone knob makes wonders.

I have a Mark III Coliseum 300 and I basically use only one setting for distorted sounds... I just tweak some great heavy distorted sound wich is great for heavy rock and metal and screaming leads but with my guitars volume and tone knob I can get pretty much instantly killer blues, latin and jazz tones.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Well if you're deadset on a Mesa Boogie + Versatility your best choice would be a Triaxis with a recto 2:100 poweramp or even a 2:90 simul. You'll lose a little bit (to a lot, depending...) of recto grunt but you'll win a whole spectrum of new sounds.

As it is, I'd go with either a Stiletto (Trident), which are awesome machines or a Triaxis, you seem to levitate to more classic/vintage tones anyways. A Dual with an extra EQ in the loop to open her up and put some whip into it is an option as well.

If you want it ALL: Mark IV.

----
          That didn't help, did it?
          Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 06-23-2007, 11:11 AM.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Yeah, like it's being said, I'd get an EL34 amp, if you want Mesa, I'd get the Stiletto. Both the Stiletto and the Trident HAVE 3 CHANNELS (same as the Dual and Triple Rectos, they BOTH have 3 channels as well, don't get confused by the name). The only difference between each amp is that they have 50 watts more, but as far as the channels, eq, controls, etc etc it's all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
              I really wanna know what's wrong with you man, why are you being so aggressive, not to say, such an asshole? I'm 24 years old and I've been playing guitar since I was 12, and I've been playing it professionally like 9 years ago. Played many styles, mostly in the metal side. Owned different guitars/amps/effects up to my current rig.

Now, what's an "intarweb" ? Sorry for the ignorance but I don't know what that is. Second, when I was talking about the headroom of the Triple Recto I just thought or understood that "headroom" was the way to describe what I feel when I play with the Mesa's. The Triple sounds less "mushy" and the gain is not as good as the one on the Dual, while the cleans on the Triple sound much "cleaner" and crisp on the Triple. That's basically IT man. That's what I got from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and I go through this 3 days a week for 2 hours, being doing this for years. I wonder if that counts Twisteramps ? Does it count ? I mean, really, me and the whole band are deaf? God man, I don't know why is it so hard to understand. That's the way it goes with those amps in MY case. Also, I don't own them but that doesn't make my opinion invalid, since I believe I actually play with them much more than I do with my Carvin!

This forums are mostly to give out opinions and in this case, I'm not a GUITAR AMP BUILDER or I don't own "DOZENS OF MESA'S" or whatever you started to say (sounding like a 13 year old), I'm just a guitar player who happens to use the two amps very often. I'm probably more like the guy who started the thread than you. Just a guy that plays, and I speak about my experience, I thought that's what he wanted to know.

I'm sorry if I called somethings wrong or whatever, I can be definately WRONG about the headroom thing (I think you are right Twisteramps), and I apologize for that. The headroom thing I learned at forums and websites, and e-mails from Mesa, now I don't know if they were right or not, though your explanation sounds more logical than theirs. But I do have to say in my defense, that I know that I get different tones with the two amps specially in the clean channel, and I thought I could call that thing "clean headroom". That's it. Take it easy.
              Yeah, I'm a 13 year old who sees this all the time though - people take info they got off 'teh intarwebs' (look up sarcasm, it might serve you well) and dish it out like gospel.

Reason why I asked how old you were - I work with guys your age that pretty much have the same opinion. If they read it, it's true... I tend to deal with what I experience. If that collides with you, then so be it. (and yeah, I'm an old fart - 37, played since I was 13, done everything from studio work to bar bands to the original thing and missing a record deal by this much... and even had an endorsement at one time. Anyways...)

BTW, forgot to mention this, but you can pull pairs of tubes out of any 4-6 tube amp and cut the wattage down. That's all your carvin is doing in 50 watt mode - it's turning two of the power tubes 'off', or the equivalent of unplugging them.

Speaking to the 'dozens of mesas' and 'building amps' - if it's true it's true. Actually, including mark series I've owned well over a dozen, but not two. I got out of the mesa thing awhile ago, wouldn't piss on a carvin if it was on fire, and have lately used VHT, Soldano (ok, a clone), JSX, and my current favorite, the Randall MTS series. The recto module on it after my mods sounds like a recto just better.

Also, since you're a professional with 9 years experience, let's hear some soundclips! Maybe it's an issue with the type of music you're playing.

Pete

Comment

To the original poster again - I'd look at a Randall MTS series. All the preamps are interchangeable, so if you don't like a channel... you can buy another one and slot it in there. There are around 20, ranging from Bogner inspired to Recto, to Fender blackface and tweed, to many marshalls... Plus you can pick and choose. Want three high gain channels? Or three clean? or a fender clean, Marshall drive, recto lead? It can do that too.

Pete

Comment

f-ya
                  Last edited by charvelguy; 06-24-2007, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                    Reason why I asked how old you were - I work with guys your age that pretty much have the same opinion. If they read it, it's true... I tend to deal with what I experience. If that collides with you, then so be it. (and yeah, I'm an old fart - 37, played since I was 13, done everything from studio work to bar bands to the original thing and missing a record deal by this much... and even had an endorsement at one time. Anyways...)

Pete
                    Oh God. Let's see. Didn't you read the big part where I was saying that FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE playing the amps frequently, I came down to the "conclusion" that the Dual sounded better in the distortion department than the Triple? I also said, it was my experience, my playing, my opinion. The fact that I read about stuff undeniably "guided" my comments as well but in a sort of "technical speaking" fashion. The actual fact is that to my ears, and apparently to the ears of SEAN RAF too, the Dual sounded better in gain than the Triple. That was basically it.

You're the one that's 37 years old here and is trying to express your opinions on facts like "I'm an old fart - 37, played since I was 13, done everything from studio work to bar bands to the original thing and missing a record deal by this much... and even had an endorsement at one time. Anyways..." which despite the fact of being true, sounds like you NEED to make a point given the fact that "you are cool". Sounds a bit arrogant doesn't it? Also, given the fact that instead of just "talking" you started to be sarcastic, and behaving like if you had some kind of problem with me directly, this is a discussion forum and people dish out opinions, hopefully, personal and real opinions. Once again, and like I said on the previous post that aparently you quoted and forgot to read, I apolgized if the "headroom" subject was wrong or badly explained by me, but you need to start giving credit to other people who are not 37 years old and are "super experienced" like you, IMO. You surely are 37, but you behave like an angry little boy who can't deal with the fact that other people have different opinions than yours. Learn from it, what happens in your home studio and age range is not the total truth.

Yeah, I've been playing professionally for 9 years, but, as you may or not know, I'm from Peru, not the USA. "Professional guitar player" here means that you've been playing in bands, recording, and stuff like that. It doesn't mean money, fame, touring or whatever, which I'm sure it's common in the USA on most cases. Guitar playing here is a hobbie, professional or not. To give you an idea, a "non professional" guitarrist here is the guy that only rehearses with his band in a very crappy place with even worse gear, thing is, that guy (who sounds like a bunch of 15 years old in the USA) may be anywhere between 15 to 50 years old. See the difference? I'm an architect and my band mates are all professionals too, and we do this as a "very strong hobbie" meaning that thanks to our jobs we can afford high end gear, good rehearsal spaces, playing live, etc. I have a set of recordings I made at home with my death metal band, now I play hard rock/metal and I don't wanna put any mp3's on the internet just yet, waiting for the cd to be released. Here, you can listen to it for yourself, have in mind the following, believe it or not:

Recording was done on a computer. Guitars and bass were mic'd with a Shure SM57 plugged into a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 soundcard using an adaptor to fit the 1/4' plug. The amp was a CRATE GX-20M 20 watt, solid state CRAPPY piece of shit using a Boss SD-1 as a booster for the amp's distortion channel. Bass was recorded with a similar crappy amp. Drums are done by me, using SoundFonts in Cakewalk Pro Audio 8, yeah, I use Pro Audio 8 even today, the whole thing was recorded there. This crappy setup was "this crappy" since it was done after I sold my Laney GH100TI and before I got my Carvin V3, it was "an emergency" recording. Oh, and vocals where done using a computer microphone, dunno the brand, it's one of those "lavalier" style mics that I just held in my hand. Effects like delay or flanger or stuff like that are just the ones found in Cakewalk.

www.audiostreet.net/catenas

I hope that you check that out. All of the four tracks of guitar and solos and all of the vocals and drums where done by ME alone. Maybe this proves that you don't need to be "super cool and experienced" and having to own "dozens of Mesa amps" and being an amp builder and Randall MTS expert to get something out of REAL CRAP, like the gear listed above. This also counts in terms of experience and opinions. You are not alone.
                    Last edited by LEOKV2; 06-23-2007, 01:54 PM.

Comment

You can play guitar well, I still think you're gear knowledge is pretty low though. And if you have been a professional for 9 years, what the hell are you doing singing through a computer mic? Those vocals sounded like my ass after a Mexican all you can eat buffet. Not my cup of tea, but again, the guitar playing was decent.

Never said I was "cool" just that my information regarding tube amps are *facts*. If you want to argue with an opinion versus facts, go for it! I even stated your amp in your rehearsal studio may need new tubes.

Again, this bears repeating: High gain tube amps that are high wattage aren't just so you can be heard 100 miles away - THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN TONE AT THE SAME VOLUME AS A SMALLER AMP. Sorry to put the caps on there, but I don't think you're getting it. If anyone doubts it, haul ass to guitar center or music mud hut or whatever you have in your area and compare a 50 watt version of an amp to the 100 watt. Even a professional who sings through a computer mic should be able to tell the difference.

Pete

Comment

Last edited by charvelguy; 06-24-2007, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                          haul ass to guitar center or music mud hut or whatever you have in your area and compare a 50 watt version of an amp to the 100 watt. Even a professional who sings through a computer mic should be able to tell the difference.

Pete
                          What the FUCK is wrong with you man? What are you trying to say here? Mud hut? Are you stupid? Do you know where Peru is and what it looks like? Are you that ignorant? Are you one of those people that think that "below Mexico is all mud and straw"? We have the same things as you, difference is that we make less money.

This thing, regardless of any opinions on the subject discussed here, tells us what kind of person and what kind of thoughts you have, way to go, set an example, 37 year old expert.

And, yeah, my vocals sound like "your ass", well, news flash: it's called DEATH METAL, it's supposed to sound like that, check out some of it on the internet, you may learn something new.

Opinion VS Facts. Ok, you got your facts, I got my opinions and experience. Who says that YOUR facts are more important than mine experience? It's like talking "technical VS practical". You say one thing, based on your "more watts mean more tone" ideas, and I just said, like some other people on this same topic, that BY EXPERIENCE, maybe we're not 37 year old super cool experienced guys (who like to "offend" people "in the 3rd world" as a resource for making a point valid) but we also have ears, we also play guitar, we also have access to the same gear you have, we also have opinions. And if my opinion from MY experience tells me that one amp sounds better than the other, after many tests, then hell, should I just start telling myself "no, you're wrong, FACT says that this amp should sound better and more metal than the other one" ? Bullshit man.

I'm singing through a computer microphone on that recording, it was before I decided to upgrade my gear, like I said. I now have a much better recording setup, including a condenser mic, a tube recording preamp, a 2496 M-audio card, and a new computer is on it's way. Things are differente here in "mud-hut-land", it's not like you wake up one day and say "hell, I wanna buy a 200 dollar condenser mic", you need to work a lot before doing that. 200 dollars can be easily made in 2 or 3 days in the USA, 200 bucks here means 2 weeks depending on your job, luckily, mine is "hobbie friendly".

Jesus, some special people around here huh?

Comment

Last edited by charvelguy; 06-24-2007, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                              hmm, music mud hut. I like that Pete. I think the casa shall now be referred as such. Do I have exclusive rights?
                              No, but I'll license them. My attorney will be in touch posthaste.

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                                What the FUCK is wrong with you man? What are you trying to say here? Mud hut? Are you stupid? Do you know where Peru is and what it looks like? Are you that ignorant? Are you one of those people that think that "below Mexico is all mud and straw"? We have the same things as you, difference is that we make less money.
                                Jesus, some special people around here huh?
                                Ok, let's play *factual* geography here:

Daily science news on research developments, technological breakthroughs and the latest scientific innovations

Note the use of the word 'mud'. As a matter of fact, Peru has... wait for it... THE WORLD'S LARGEST MUD CITY. Wow! How ignorant of them to say that... oh wait, it's true! Holy shit! Ignorance abounds!

Here's a quote from physorg link above... bold emphasis mine:

(AP) -- Heavy rains damaged several adobe walls in the ancient ruins of Chan Chan, the world's largest mud city on Peru's northern coast, the newspaper El Comercio reported Saturday.

Ok, how about my offensive use of the word 'hut'?

Explore National Geographic. A world leader in geography, cartography and exploration.

The writer in the national geographic story talks about being IN A HUT IN PERU. Wow, they are as ignorant as I am.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X