Boogie Triple Rec solo 150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy crap.

Pete, you can come across as a little arrogant sometimes. Just stop provoking Leo. For a 37 year-old, you're really coming across as a 16 year-old.

Leo, don't take everything personally. Text does not provide good measures for indicating sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek comments. Some people will not like your opinions and sometimes it's best to just let it go.

I vote for locking this thread before it gets even more out of hand.
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
      Yeah, like it's being said, I'd get an EL34 amp, if you want Mesa, I'd get the Stiletto. Both the Stiletto and the Trident HAVE 3 CHANNELS (same as the Dual and Triple Rectos, they BOTH have 3 channels as well, don't get confused by the name). The only difference between each amp is that they have 50 watts more, but as far as the channels, eq, controls, etc etc it's all the same.
      Ummm no, all 3 versions of the Stiletto (Ace, Deuce, & Trident) have 2 channels.

Comment

Originally posted by sworn_enemy View Post
        Ummm no, all 3 versions of the Stiletto (Ace, Deuce, & Trident) have 2 channels.
        Oh yeah, I'm sorry that's what I meant. The point was that some people thought that the Dual and the Triple had two or three channels respectively due to the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
          Holy crap.

Pete, you can come across as a little arrogant sometimes. Just stop provoking Leo. For a 37 year-old, you're really coming across as a 16 year-old.

Leo, don't take everything personally. Text does not provide good measures for indicating sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek comments. Some people will not like your opinions and sometimes it's best to just let it go.

I vote for locking this thread before it gets even more out of hand.
          Not to belabor the obvious, but I think your timing is a little late there pal. Great idea about locking the thread, maybe the admins can give you a 'junior moderator' hat or something. I said my stuff, so did Leo. I even replied in another thread of his, get your fire hose and haul ass there.

Pete

Comment

I play classic rock/metal. I sold my triple rec. and bought a Splawn Quickrod. I couldn't be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
              Not to belabor the obvious, but I think your timing is a little late there pal. Great idea about locking the thread, maybe the admins can give you a 'junior moderator' hat or something. I said my stuff, so did Leo. I even replied in another thread of his, get your fire hose and haul ass there.

Pete
              I remember when you were a pretty cool guy Pete....what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by kingv2002 View Post
                I remember when you were a pretty cool guy Pete....what happened?
                I think I'm just going to let people who don't really know what they are talking about just spew it all out. Correcting people just gets me into conflicts which wastes everyone's time. Sure it's entertaining, but a time waster nonetheless. I think my post to lurk ratio is going to skew a lot more to the lurk side.

I'm certainly looking forward to reading some priceless gems, that's for sure.

Pete

Comment

Pete, you can correct someone's information without resorting to personal attacks. I know that you're very knowledgeable about amps. You don't have to pompous though.
                  Scott

Comment

As far as it goes for power tubes input I'd say that a bit of power overdrive never hurts either cleans or distorted sound. I mean there are many degrees of power tube distortion inbetween totaly clean headroom and some serious and much noticeable overdrive. On my experience of dealing with many amps I've noticed that "sweet spot" volume may compress the attack a bit but at the same time it provides the attack more rich harmonics thus making it more defined. And the rest of the signal stays in the "clean zone". And obviously with more powerful amp you have higher treshold of the sweet spot and it still may be far from the big arena level of loudness.

As for comparing more and less powerful versions of the same amp, I'd say that at the same degree of "clean" (or "dirty" depending on how you look at it) more powerful ones have more immediate, punchy response. Combined with a bit more and tight lows it really kicks. Maybe it's more of a player's feel rather then audible difference when miked, but it's always there.

Also a headroom issue is important when use a different channels and/or level volume settings for solo. For example someone plays would like to be totally in "clean zone" for all his tones and he needs 3dB boost for soloing. So he needs more headroom. At the same time someone would like to have his lead sound more rounded, compressed and saturated compared to the lead tone so he might opt for less headroom.

So, more power vs less power thing is totally up to many factors AND also about personal opinion on what is "cool metal tone". There's a ton of different sub-genres of metal some requring ultra-tight punch some requiring chainsaw grit, some - a mad bulldozer assault.
                    Because I don't say it
                    Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

im pretty sure the fender bassman 4x10 will get you the exact sound you need

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                        I think my post to lurk ratio is going to skew a lot more to the lurk side.

Pete
                        I hope not.
                        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

This thread wouldn't have went in this direction if Leo hadn't posted wrong information, and stood by it.

If somebody needs help selecting gear, make sure your research is correct before making a suggestion. End of story.
                          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
                            This thread wouldn't have went in this direction if Leo hadn't posted wrong information, and stood by it.

If somebody needs help selecting gear, make sure your research is correct before making a suggestion. End of story.
                            Exactly.

Kingv2002 also edited his post where he stated he wished his membership to be terminated. I can still do that.
                            Maybe we should put the time limit on editing once again so people can't take back what they said and cover shit up.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I really like having it off personally

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                                Headroom typically deals with your clean sound. If you have a 100-watt amp, you'll have more headroom and be able to turn it up louder without it distorting as much. You'll have less headroom on a 50-watt amp, whereby it will distort quicker than a 100-watt amp as you turn it louder. And, of course, amps below 50 watts will have even less clean headroom.
                                I might be out of sort here...I missed most of pages 2and 3 and I dopn't have the patience to go back and read them. I guess I would say there's a sonic factoral differenciation with Recto's just as with Marshalls. Take a 50w DSL vs a 100w DSL. There's only a small decidbel difference but the 100w just has more grunt. Maybe it has to do with output tube responsiveness or tube gain.

I would say this is why I was saying I prefered the Dual to the Triple. 6L6 seem to me to be a better "head room" tube especially when they're turned high. EL34's seem to want to sizzle way up high and lose definition. The lower the preamp output the more the 6L6's seem to sing and grab the highs. Never played the 50 watt Recto, but I imagine it would be the same effect to some extent.

Comment

Working...
                                X