Getting a JVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shawn View Post
    In the JVM's price range, you have a hell of alot of better built, sounding options. Splawns, Triple Rec's, VHT's, etc.....

I am not saying it doesnt sound great, I am just saying the money can be spent more wisely. If they were $1200 new, that would be a different story, but they arent.

My .02
    EH.... really a non issue seriuosly. I have read that people are complaining about the build quality...ya know wahh wahh the knobs feel lose wahh wahh. In all reality. It's built just fine. The list price is 1749.00 new but you can get them alot cheaper trust me. I got mine in new old stock condition for 1250.00 shipped...well as old stock as a JVM can be. There are a couple on TGP right now for similiar asking prices

I think sound/tone is also personal preference. I ended up trying a triple and a double rec....hated both of em

So does that mean the JVM sounds better. Not really...just to me it does. Everyone needs to decide what sounds good to them on their own
    Last edited by kingv2002; 06-26-2007, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kingv2002 View Post
      EH.... really a non issue seriuosly. I have read that people are complaining about the build quality...ya know wahh wahh the knobs feel lose wahh wahh. In all reality. It's built just fine. The list price is 1749.00 new but you can get them alot cheaper trust me. I got mine in new old stock condition for 1250.00 shipped...well as old stock as a JVM can be. There are a couple on TGP right now for similiar asking prices

I think sound/tone is also personal preference. I ended up trying a triple and a double rec....hated both of em

So does that mean the JVM sounds better. Not really...just to me it does. Everyone needs to decide what sounds good to them on their own
      FYI, Marshall's warranty is NOT transferable and you'll need to provide proof of purchase to get it. If you bought it used, you're screwed if something happens. I've seen them used for $1300 shipped, but 5 years of warranty is worth paying more in my opinion. I'd wager that one of these amps in 5 years is going to fare much worse than an amp in the same price range (VHT, splawn, soldano HR series, etc).

The pots have plastic shafts, and aren't secured to the front of the amp like most. You can move the things quite a bit by hand. So if that amp falls just right, you're going to shear off one if not many of the pots. That's a build quality issue. They didn't build it that way to increase tone, they did it because it's faster to assemble if you don't have to put nuts on 20+ pots. Plastic shafts because those pots are cheaper than metal shafts.

Pete

Comment

Splawns are good but won't come close to the versatility & function as the JVM or even the sound in my book. A Quick Rod is $1800.00 and you can get a JVM for $1500.00

I've had 5 splawns in the past 2 years, Kept giving them a try and wanted it to work out but they're just not for me, it's really a one trick pony amp.

As far as Dual or Triple recs are concerned, they don't cover the Marshall sound.

I've had no noise issues with my JVM It's a real quiet amp and kicks ass all the way around!

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
          FYI, Marshall's warranty is NOT transferable and you'll need to provide proof of purchase to get it. If you bought it used, you're screwed if something happens. I've seen them used for $1300 shipped, but 5 years of warranty is worth paying more in my opinion. I'd wager that one of these amps in 5 years is going to fare much worse than an amp in the same price range (VHT, splawn, soldano HR series, etc).

The pots have plastic shafts, and aren't secured to the front of the amp like most. You can move the things quite a bit by hand. So if that amp falls just right, you're going to shear off one if not many of the pots. That's a build quality issue. They didn't build it that way to increase tone, they did it because it's faster to assemble if you don't have to put nuts on 20+ pots. Plastic shafts because those pots are cheaper than metal shafts.

Pete
          Yeah I hear ya but I am not worried about it. there are marshall heads that have been around for a long time with no issue, and the knob thing is just a non issues for me. I am a big guy and everything but I tend not to use much force when turning my knobs....and yes I turn my knob often but seriously with the fact that ech channel and each mode remembers where the knob was set at last time I dont really touch them much....I have heard more about the knobs on this amp than really what matters....the sound....as far as dropping it is concerned....simple....dont drop it!

Comment

I don't mean to be repetitive or annoying here, but, why don't people use or at least check out the Carvin V3? Honestly, I can't see anything wrong with the amp, it sounds AMAZING and it covers 90% of the territory you'd ever need and it has 3 channels and it's MIDI. Plus the fact that it's factory direct (meaning you won't pay for a middle man), and lot's of high quality components, just go to Carvin's website and read about them. I love mine and compared to Mesas, Marshalls or Laneys, let me tell you, this thing is like a perfect combination between the classic EL34 sound with high gain and very good cleans. I'd buy a V3 even if I had the chance to get a Mesa as a gift. Oh, and the built quality is second to none... I mean, Marshalls DO feel like "plastic" and this baby feels like SOLID METAL.

I'd like to know why is it that people aren't that aware?

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
              they are! Its something about that "Marshall" logo that just drives people nuts. :ROTF: Also, isnt the V3 supposedly brighter sounding than a JVM? That said, I would never buy an amp which has plastic knob shafts.

kingv2002, never mind dropping your amp, what if you accidentally hit a Jackson pointy on the knobs. Dont tell me you can never have an accident. If an amp didnt have plastic shafts, the guitar would be damaged but not the amp. in case of the JVM, its sure to be the other way around. that's not a good sign for a $1500+ amp.
              Sam

Comment

I don't mean to be repetitive or annoying here, but, why don't people use or at least check out the Carvin V3?

I guess 'cos we're not all in the USA - never seen a Carvin amp in a UK shop.

Mind you, don't see much in UK music shops these days bar Fender and Gibson guitars, Fender Peavey Boogie and Marshall amps, unless you look around. Back in the good ol' days of the 80s we used to get a great variety of amps and guitars (including Jackons and Charvels!) but not these days unfortunately.

Comment

I'm aware! I have one of those too! Great amp and blows away the Mesa Recs. I'm more into the Marshall tone right now so the V3 is not being used. That's why I have it listed in the classifieds.

I don't mean to be repetitive or annoying here, but, why don't people use or at least check out the Carvin V3? Honestly, I can't see anything wrong with the amp, it sounds AMAZING and it covers 90% of the territory you'd ever need and it has 3 channels and it's MIDI. Plus the fact that it's factory direct (meaning you won't pay for a middle man), and lot's of high quality components, just go to Carvin's website and read about them. I love mine and compared to Mesas, Marshalls or Laneys, let me tell you, this thing is like a perfect combination between the classic EL34 sound with high gain and very good cleans. I'd buy a V3 even if I had the chance to get a Mesa as a gift. Oh, and the built quality is second to none... I mean, Marshalls DO feel like "plastic" and this baby feels like SOLID METAL.

Comment

hahaha Plastic shafts, Metal shafts...Tubes mounted directly on PCB's etc....etc...I could give a crap about that. I take care of my gear and I'm my own roadie! LOL

Comment

Did you A/B it with a JSX???

You can score one of those used pretty reasonably..I like them and I'm not that easily impressed when it comes to tone...I'm a picky fucker!

Not saying the JVM doesn't sound good. I haven't played one yet. I expect it to either kick my ass or not. The TSL/DSL certainly did not, and are complete shite to me. Pete shared good insight on some valid quality issues..he would know!

Bill Z
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        Pete shared good insight on some valid quality issues..he would know!

Bill Z
                        I hear ya Bill. But if you think about it...after a couple of posts of what is supposed to be "advice" to me becomes kind of disrespectful at times. This thread is really based on two guys who just bought JVM's and are pretty stoked about it. To keep stating negative things about the amp is just kind of lame IMO...ya know...as long as we are telling it like it is....I love the JVM, as I am sure Thrust will, let us be physched about it weather or not anyone agrees with us or not

Comment

I hear ya Bill. But if you think about it...after a couple of posts of what is supposed to be "advice" to me becomes kind of disrespectful at times. This thread is really based on two guys who just bought JVM's and are pretty stoked about it. To keep stating negative things about the amp is just kind of lame IMO...ya know...as long as we are telling it like it is....I love the JVM, as I am sure Thrust will, let us be physched about it weather or not anyone agrees with us or not
                          Well, I also said they sounded good too. You're right, I shouldn't mention stuff about amps that aren't being stated. Hell, when I had a JSX I mentioned the 'notched wah' sound with EL34s, but I was being disrespectful to myself I guess.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                            FYI, Marshall's warranty is NOT transferable and you'll need to provide proof of purchase to get it. If you bought it used, you're screwed if something happens.

Pete
                            This is a bit of concern! I was under the assumption it had a warranty like Mesa (i.e., transferable). Doh! Better ask the seller if he can send me the original sales receipt.

Comment

Yeah I hear ya but I am not worried about it. there are marshall heads that have been around for a long time with no issue
                              Call your local amp repair center, I'd wager that they had a lot of issues with newer marshalls (JCM2000 and above) than they ever have with older ones. Marshall's QC was so poor on the 2000 series that a lot of people are spooked about the JVMs and Vintage Moderns. I am glad that a lot of people are buying these, as y'all get to be my beta testers. But if you go to the JVM message board there are a lot of guys with problems already, including an issue with the footswitch having traces that SHORT OUT on the bottom of the footswitch. Solution? Put a piece of cardboard in your footswitch, which to me is bullshit of the highest order.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Thrust View Post
                                This is a bit of concern! I was under the assumption it had a warranty like Mesa (i.e., transferable). Doh! Better ask the seller if he can send me the original sales receipt.
                                IMO MOST of the warranties are non-transferrable. Crate was the only ones I knew which had a 5 year transferrable warranty. Now, you mentioned Mesa. I know for sure Jacksons and Peaveys dont have transferrable warranties.

...and even if the guy gave you a copy of the original sales receipt, I'm pretty sure, they will ask you for an ID that matches the name on the receipt.
                                Sam

Comment

Working...
                                X