Three hours on an EVH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three hours on an EVH

What do you say after a few hours with an amp? A Plexi is the most well used and abused amp in rock & roll history and I've always hated a bone stock Plexi (even after thousands of hours).

This is a first run amp from a major company with a newly signed artist, or vise-versa. I'm not sure if Eddie is endorsing Fender or Fender is endorsing Eddie...I think the later. I figured it would suck and have a shit loads of problems. Then you have to measure it against a 5150 II, which dollar-for-dollar may be THE best amp ever made.

Why do you buy an EVH amp....to play Pantera or BB King? Noooooooooo! I turned it on and expected to play like Eddie.

What's in the box? You might expect confetti to fly out but there's just an amp, a foot controller and a couple of cords in there. It's a big box cab and feels a little empty, although it's an easy 60 pounds. EVH logo's are cool, but the cabinet feels a little bit on the cheap side. Chicken head knobs are shoe-horned tightly into the chassis rail and the power switch/standby is on the back. Gain-Low-Mid-high-volume and one presence knob for each channel. There are three channel switches with lights; green, blue, red, in that order. An effects loop, footswitch jack and speaker outs on the back. Look thru the grill and there 7 or 8 preamps tubes and 4 6l6wxt+ sovteks in there.

Power it up, let it warm, and bingo..hit the standby. It's party time!

The 1st channel is low gain. I wish they would do these channels in the opposite order. It reminds me of a fender to clean-dirty. I could play funk and the clean was round bassy and nice. No big surprise..with the corporate connection.

The 2nd, blue, channel IS the treble crash-brown-sounding-plexi you always wanted but never 100% got in any other amp. It's totally 1978-1985 Ed Van Halen. This amp does Eddie's trademark groove better than any single amp yet...isn't that why you want it? It's a little harsh and perfect and it nails the sound that the 5150-5150 II just plain missed. There is very little or no noise.

The 3rd channel, rojo, does a nice job of getting Humans Being sound. Heaveeeey and great for drop d. Reminds me of a Triple Recto almost. High tight-sounding gain. Again, very little or no noise.

I have to say I wanted a few more buttons and switches. This amp is not overly complex. Seems like tube amps are wanting to have more controls that F-18 airplane these days. None of that here. It's a must have for an EVH wannabe drone like me. For anybody else it's still a darn good amp. I will offer one HUGE complement to Ed Van Halen; I have never been dissapointed with a piece of Eddie endorsed/designed gear...NEVER!. Now the money...this 2007, not 1967. I would feel like I got a great deal at $1500, but $2k is a little steep.

cool, thanks for the review

I'm glad it doesn't sound like Peavey 5150 but like old school EVH tone instead.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Cool review. Gotta check one out now...

Comment

Thats it, I'm getting one of these things some time Thanks for the review.

Comment

Cool!!, looking forward to try one out for sure.
          I am thinking if I get one it would be white, different and will age almost instantly.
          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Yep... i agree with your fine review...in fact as i sit playing one in
            my bedroom right now... (000ps! Just looked at the date!)
            Nevermind... i was just rambling... and of course no one in
            the USA has one in their bedroom right now... right? :ROTF:

Comment

I've heard alot of good things so far. Can't wait to try one out.

Comment

I expected it to be pretty much exactly like the Peaveys but with a dedicated clean channel, but now I´m gonna have to try one out when they start hitting the shops around here. Thanks for the review.

Comment

For 2K..I'll stick with my Marshall JMP-1 and rack..it does a VERY nice Eddie!

I will play one tho!!

BTW..GREAT review.

Bill Z
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I played one yesterday through the matching cab. I didn't get to crank it but the one I tried had JJs in it and so did the other one they had (Right out of the box) I had a very low hum to it but not what I would call noisy.

I really liked it and the gain on the lead ch could be cranked and still hold it together. The Crunch (Mid CH) had enough gain for metal too. Like I said...Didn't crank it so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Over all, this (Like the Peavey 5150) would make most Metalheads happy. It may not be a carbon copy of the Peavey BUT...It IS in the same ball park.

ps...I thought the cab lookes a little small...I had to look twice because at first glance it looked like the head was wider than the cab...
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

No offense but I can't trust someones review that hates plexi's and thinks 5150's are the best amp ever built.

Comment

Originally posted by adrenaline junkie View Post
                        No offense but I can't trust someones review that hates plexi's and thinks 5150's are the best amp ever built.
                        ummm you forgot the "dollar for dollar" part..that's important!

..and my experience with Plexis..is they honk like a car horn when cranked!

Reviews are someones "opinion"..I found the review a pretty good one.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

get a mid to late 70's JMP superlead 100 and have cameron (Mark) mod it and never need another head again, as long as you play it in stereo with a marshall with green or black backs and a mesa boogie slant with vintage 30's. the show is then over. You're set for life, of course you'll need a wah wah and that's it.
                          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by adrenaline junkie View Post
                            Yea okay. I got my first Plexi in 86 and sold my last in 2006. You need to crank them up "stadium" loud to get any kind of useable distortion and every single one has been horribly hissy. Sure....Marty..you could have Doc Brown thro 1-2 or 6 extra preamp tubes in there but that's shoddy witchcraft. Pedals..I'm frikkin done with distortion pedals. They're a goddamn pain in the ass. Get yourself a Mojave Peacemaker and I gaaaraunteeee you be next to me pissing on your Plexi hissbitch. A stock in the box 5150 II sold for under $1000...that thing is/was the HUGEST bargain in a serious metal amp that ever existed. Naw man you stuck in trendlove fantasy land...your talking about a '67 Plexi. They don't exist like a fuckin Unicorn or Leprican. The only exist in fairy tales and myths. You could roll into the GC and walk out with a 5150 II for budget money and play anything from 1960 straight thru to tomorrow. Plexi..hahahaaaaahaa-haw. Let me guess, your running a MXR Zakk Wylde pedal into a Slash wah into a jumped 2004 1987x with the volumes set on 1. There's some serious tone for you!
                            Last edited by Jeff Albertson; 06-26-2007, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the excellent review. I am so glad to hear that it can get the classic EVH sound. I want this amp!

Comment

Working...
                              X