Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should be picking up a Mesa Recto 4x12 tomorrow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should be picking up a Mesa Recto 4x12 tomorrow!

I'm pretty excited! Looks to be in excellent condition (home use, low hours, etc...), and I'll be getting it for $500. I haven't had a V30 cab yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I'd really like to pick up a Marshall cab with Greenbacks, but they haven't been showing up lately, so this should be alright. It's gotta be better than the B-52 I have now (although it's been a great cab), even though I'll be going from a 480 watt cab to a 280 watt cab. With a 100 watt poweramp, it should really sweeten up my sound. Currently, I'm running 8 ohms stereo, so I get 75 watts/channel, of which I have yet to even come close to maxing out before I start to bleed...

So now my new setup will go something like this:

Kickass guitar >>

Line 6 Floor POD Plus -or-
    Rocktron Replitone MP preamp >>

Alesis RA-100 (I know, but it works for me!!)
    BUT...at 4 ohms stereo, I'll get 100 watts/channel >>

Mesa Rectifier Standard Straight cab

Should be fun, but I might need to take out extra health insurance to get it up the stairs!!

Anyone comment on these cabs? I've never had one, played though one, or thought about getting one until tonight...

I recently sold a Dual Rec half stack. I really regret letting the cab go. Definately the best cab I've ever had, it kept my whole sound tight, especially when I ran my Marshall 4104 through it. I'm back to Marshall and 75's now.

You're right about the weight, but it's a reassuring weight...

Comment

HOLY HONK!! Man, this thing is MIDDY!! It makes everything I have sound like a Rectifier by the EQ! Looks like I'll be doing some adjustments to my POD patches... Definitely a different animal than a Marshall cab for sure! Seems "louder" too, but you have to be almost directly in front of it to get good sound - it isn't as "wide" of a sound as I'm used to. Very focused.

Did I mention back surgery?!? GOOD GRIEF this thing is HEAVY!! I almost called in a chopper to lower in to my upstairs guitar room.

Anyway, it's in its new home now - and if I ever sell the house, it will probably stay!

Comment

That is so true. The Mesa Cab takes some getting used and you have re-tweak everything cuz nothing sounds the same. I was surprised by how much deeper my 5150 cab sounded, especially considering that I got the oversized cab, still it doesn't sound brittle like the Peavey did. It is definately very middy, which is fine by me. I love the way this cab sounds miced. My other cab sounded like crap in monitor mix.

Also so correct on the weight this thing weights a ton. I could easy place my 5150 cab in and out of my SUV. This cab seems to weight at least a third more.

Here is pic of mine. I paid $580 in near mint condition.

Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
          HOLY HONK!! Man, this thing is MIDDY!! It makes everything I have sound like a Rectifier by the EQ! Looks like I'll be doing some adjustments to my POD patches... Definitely a different animal than a Marshall cab for sure! Seems "louder" too, but you have to be almost directly in front of it to get good sound - it isn't as "wide" of a sound as I'm used to. Very focused.
          Heh, your description pretty much nails the impression I had when I got my recto 4x12. Definitely requires different EQ settings than a Marshall (yours is G12t-75 loaded I assume?)

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
            Heh, your description pretty much nails the impression I had when I got my recto 4x12. Definitely requires different EQ settings than a Marshall (yours is G12t-75 loaded I assume?)
            When I had a Marshall, yes. I was using one of the B-52 AT cabs (nice for the money I might add), which has a strong Marshall character - just a tad less defined. The Mesa will take some getting used to, but I like it as I'm a strong mids guy already - probably the reason they took over!

Comment

Well, the V30's are a very mid oriented speaker. I'm sure that plays alot into the cabs sound. I can't imagine you luggin that thing up 2-3 flights of those narrow stairs of yours either. I just got another 4x10 Marshall off craigslist for cheap and it was in mint shape. That thing sounds killer and it saves on space and my back.

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post

Did I mention back surgery?!? GOOD GRIEF this thing is HEAVY!! I almost called in a chopper to lower in to my upstairs guitar room.

Anyway, it's in its new home now - and if I ever sell the house, it will probably stay!

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                I can't imagine you luggin that thing up 2-3 flights of those narrow stairs of yours either.
                You should have seen it... :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                X