No announcement yet.

Mesa guys - tell me what I just got...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa guys - tell me what I just got...

I just got back from GC - had to check out the 4th sale. I walked out with something rather unexpected...

I got a Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb 50 head. No footswitch unfortunately, but I'll deal with it for now. IT's loaded with some kind of Sovtek tubes, but as I am not really a tube amp guy (Line 6 ya know...), I'm not sure what they are as far as how they "stack up". It's got Sovtek 12ax7wb preamp tubes and Sovtek 5881 WXT power amp tubes - anyone know much about these?

Out the door for $725. This thing sounds AWESOME, and I am NOTTTTTT a Mesa loving guy. I usually never even give them a glance. This one just said "Maybe you should check me out..." Half hour later, and there I am!!

Anyone who wants to tell me more about these, please do!! How do you tell to "vintage" of these amps anyway?

Sounds like a great deal, congrats!
    Can't tell you much about it though, i'm more of a Marshall guy myself, but i would take that Mesa over any Line6 for sure.

Comment

Now what do I do about effects? All I use is delay, and occasionally a littel chorus... Do these things take rack or pedal effects better? I have a Floor POD Plus, but I don't know how that will work, as I don't think it has in/outs.

Comment

I am not into Mesa's myself after owning a Dual Rectifier for a while, but this one however is a Mesa amp I would like to have som day.

Comment

I hear ya!! I DID NOT like them - not how they sounded on cd's and not how they sounded live, but this one is so smooth by comparison - it's almost scary. You can dial out the "brashness" that I always hear in the Dual and Triple Recs. I never liked that.

Comment

I tried out a used Rect-o-Verb at the Edina store several months ago, which did have the footswitch. I'm not a Mesa guy either, but I did like it. My only complaint (apparently a common one) is that the reverb is virtually inaudible with heavy distortion, which unfortunately is a deal-breaker for me since that amp only has a footswitch for the reverb and not for the effects loop. Too bad, because I was actually tempted up to that point. I just require some sort of heavy reverb or delay, and it wasn't there.
            sigpic

Comment

Not quite the same, but I have a single rec rectoverb combo, and it sounds great! I use a boss DD3 and CE-5 and that covers all my needs....
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Did you get a series 1 or series 2? not a bad deal, but after you purchase a footswitch it would be what they normaly go for used all the time, actually maybe a little more. what makes it worth it is the fact that you love the tone, not to mention you are not taking the chance of getting an abused one off ebay.

Even Dual's and triples can get that brashness taken out by changing tubes and preamp tubes.

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                I just got back from GC - had to check out the 4th sale. I walked out with something rather unexpected...

I got a Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb 50 head. No footswitch unfortunately, but I'll deal with it for now. IT's loaded with some kind of Sovtek tubes, but as I am not really a tube amp guy (Line 6 ya know...), I'm not sure what they are as far as how they "stack up". It's got Sovtek 12ax7wb preamp tubes and Sovtek 5881 WXT power amp tubes - anyone know much about these?

Out the door for $725. This thing sounds AWESOME, and I am NOTTTTTT a Mesa loving guy. I usually never even give them a glance. This one just said "Maybe you should check me out..." Half hour later, and there I am!!

Anyone who wants to tell me more about these, please do!! How do you tell to "vintage" of these amps anyway?

Comment

I got the Series 1. I'm not too worried about the footswitch ($109 from Mesa - ouch!) since I don't play out, so I'll just watch for one on eBay. No hurry there.

I'm a little torn on what to do about effects though. I'm going to mess around with my POD and see if there's a way to make it work using that. If not, I'll pick up a DD-6 and maybe a chorus pedal...we'll see.

Any opinions on pedals vs. rack effects?

Comment

First suggestion, goto mesa boogie forum and look up and perform the series effects loop mod!

I got the Series 1. I'm not too worried about the footswitch ($109 from Mesa - ouch!) since I don't play out, so I'll just watch for one on eBay. No hurry there.

I'm a little torn on what to do about effects though. I'm going to mess around with my POD and see if there's a way to make it work using that. If not, I'll pick up a DD-6 and maybe a chorus pedal...we'll see.

Any opinions on pedals vs. rack effects?

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
                      First suggestion, goto mesa boogie forum and look up and perform the series effects loop mod!
                      Good luck -- I put that in and got somewhere around 6000 returns...ouch!

Comment

Boogie board ftw!
                        Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                        Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                        Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

This should work on series 1 as well, since the series 1 rectoverb is the same as single series 1.

Good luck -- I put that in and got somewhere around 6000 returns...ouch!

Comment

Thanks! I did buy a Boss DD-6 and a CH-1 Super Chorus tonight, so I'm still working on it!

Comment

Thanks! I did buy a Boss DD-6 and a CH-1 Super Chorus tonight, so I'm still working on it!
                              How quickly things change...

I just got a G-Major / G-Minor setup for $300 off eBay. back to the store they go!!

Comment

Working...
                              X