JSX + 2x12 cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSX + 2x12 cab?

I might be close to picking up a JSX head, a local music shop is running 30 months zero percent financing, and I'm having a hard time not picking one up. I've read a lot of reviews here on JCF and a few other boards, and I really like the versatility of this amp. At the moment I'm just getting back into playing after a very long break, so I'm not going to be gigging any time soon. Most of my practicing is at home and some in a band rehearsal room at work. A 4x12 cab is way more size, sound and weight than I need, so I'm thinking of pairing a JSX with a 2x12 cab. I partial to V30's, but I'm open to suggestions. Any recommendations for a good but not terribly expensive 2x12 cab that will work well with the JSX? Needs to be something I can get in Europe, please don't tell me to go to GC, that's about 5k miles from where I live.

I'm into playing a wide variety of music but mostly heavy stuff; thrash/black/death metal, VH, Texas blues a la SRV, Maiden, 80's-90's metal, hard rock, Zakk, Dime, etc. I like a nice chunk too, modern metal, COB/Alexei/Roope, LoG, In Flames, and most scandinavian metal. Blues from time-to-time and general rock stuff like AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc.
    My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

I used a XXX 2x12 cab with mine and it sounded great!
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I don't know what prices are like on these in Europe, but I have used the Genz-Benz G-Flex ported 2x12 and a couple of different Peavey 2x12 models for recording. I don't know the exactly model *number*, but I am just using Peavey Sheffield speakers and couldn't be happier with the results. Reviews of the Blue Marvel speakers in some Peavey cabs have not be so good, so I'd stick with the Sheffields. I have also used Vintage 30s, and wouldn't use them as my only speakers. If you just have one 2x12 cab, you could have one V30 and something else, but two V30s alone are just a bit too bright for my tastes.

Engl makes several 2x12 cabs, and they are probably less expensive in Europe, so that might be another option for you. I honestly don't think you're going to save yourself much money or effort by trying to get a cab shipped from the US.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
        I don't know what prices are like on these in Europe, but I have used the Genz-Benz G-Flex ported 2x12 and a couple of different Peavey 2x12 models for recording. I don't know the exactly model *number*, but I am just using Peavey Sheffield speakers and couldn't be happier with the results. Reviews of the Blue Marvel speakers in some Peavey cabs have not be so good, so I'd stick with the Sheffields. I have also used Vintage 30s, and wouldn't use them as my only speakers. If you just have one 2x12 cab, you could have one V30 and something else, but two V30s alone are just a bit too bright for my tastes.

Engl makes several 2x12 cabs, and they are probably less expensive in Europe, so that might be another option for you. I honestly don't think you're going to save yourself much money or effort by trying to get a cab shipped from the US.
        I've heard good things about the G-Flex cabs, but I haven't found anyone to carry them here. That's a good point about a pair of V30's. I found a Marshall TSLC212 cab which is not bad in price and has a vintage and a heritage in it. It's at the same shop where I found the JSX head too. Same place I found an Engl 212 Standard cab which is interesting with a pair of V60's in a vertical layout. I don't think I've heard a V60, not sure how they sound. The Engl and Marshall are both pretty close in price, less than 50 bucks difference (Marshall is cheaper). I like the idea of running two different speakers in the same cab.

Comments?
        Last edited by cbope; 07-06-2007, 12:58 PM.
        My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

I don't know if you can get them outside the US but Avatar Vintage 212 with their Hellatone 60's is the bomb for this amp.

Comment

Working...
          X