Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisegate help needed ?

I need some help here guys.
    Were talking about a stereo system with two heads.

The important question is (going for added "sterilization" the sound sort of - i play loads of stop/start riffs etc)

How do you think - should the signal be gated :
    a) only before preamps
    b) in the loops (would eliminate preamp hum which is a nice thing because to be honest that bothers me rather than my muting technique :P )
    c)measuring the signal before the preamp and then gating it in the loops (think NS-2 4 cable method, ISP decimator ProrackG w. a stereo mod)

Right now i'm considering buying two NS-2 pedals to be placed just after the signal splitter - before each amp so the amps would be in NS-2's loops - so c) would be an answer theoretically.

Now there's ISP which is expensive and I'd need a steremod for option C or just forget the "4 cable method" which is also available in the ISP (prorackG atleast)

Which one of them would you consider the most useful :
    Rocktron Hush ? 2CX maybe ? DBX 166? Boss ?

Would you advise me to gate it with the four cable method of the Boss (option C) or just gate pre/post preamps?

Pete

I guess I don't know the best method for what you're trying to do, but I have a Rocktron Hush IICX in my recording rig, running one side through the loop of a solid state ART DST-4 and the other side through the loop of a tube Peavey Rockmaster. It works great for getting rid of preamp hum. A friend of mine bought one for his recording studio, where he is using it with a Randall MTS modular pre and an ADA MP-1, and he loves his as well. The price is definitely hard to beat.

If you are really trying to "lock down" your sound, it might be worthwhile to track down a BBE 362NR as well. I run that after the Hush in each preamp's loop for that last little bit of hiss/hum removal and overall smoother recorded high-gain tone. Overall, it's by far the best formula I've found for tight, powerful palm-muting and chugging.
    sigpic

Comment

i use a rocktron super C noise unit in stereo with my rig. it works well. i run it in the efx loop of my rivera s120. that head is stereo and i run it with 4 cabinets in a wet/dry setup and that eocktron keeps it tight and quiet.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I've got a Boss NS2 and an MXR Smart Gate. Both work well, but I prefer the Smart Gate and think it works a little better.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hush Super C! Works fantastic I'm a believer!
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I like the ISP better than the NS-2
            Sam

Comment

Working...
            X