the $2000 practice amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the $2000 practice amp

This project started out as just a more sturdy music stand. Then I added a shelf for my little G-DEC amp. Then a spot for a CD player. Then... Well, see for yourself:

Let's see...

-That's an el cheapo flat panel HD Monitor on top there, and a pair of Carvin monitor speakers. (that's Joe Stump's Shred Metal Chop Builder DVD playing, btw)
    - Little shelf under the monitor is more for deflecting some of the glare from the light strip mounted underneath.
    - Nice big 45-degree surface for sheet music, guitar mags, etc.
    - The rack section starts off with a Furman power strip.
    - Behringer mixer. Eight stereo channels, of which I only use three or four.
    - Carvin DCM-150 power amp.
    - Magnavox DVD Player, used here as a CD player.
    - 2-Space rack drawer for strings, picks and remote controls.
    - LiteOn DVD burner/player, for transferring all my old VHS junk to DVD.
    - Shure wireless.
    - Fender G-DEC. A toy amp, yes, but a useful one. Sound goes to the mixer, I don't use the internal speaker.
    - Shelf space holds about 30 DVDs.
    - On the back side of the G-DEC and DVD shelf is a 3-space rack drawer, for tools and random parts, and an open area that currently serves as a bookshelf.
    - A String Swing mounted to either side (shown here holding a Charvel Strat and a KV-2).
    - At the wall, the only things plugged in are the Furman and a charger unit holding two 9-volt batteries for the wireless.

I started adding up all the money I'd sunk into this project, and I think the $2000 total might be a little conservative. But I didn't spend it all at once, as some of the components had been sitting around for quite a while.

Now I just have to figure out how to work a PC into this thing...
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

pretty cool!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
      Now I just have to figure out how to work a PC into this thing...
      lose the amp, rack up a Behringer V-Amp Pro, and you'll have room for a little desktop pc
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Does the V-Amp do everything the G-DEC does? Metronome and half-time sampling is mainly what I need.

If they made a rackmount version of the G-DEC I'd buy it in an instant. I was seriously considering taking the the preamp part out of the amp's cabinet and rackmounting it separately. But the power switch is on the back, which is why the amp is shoved to one side.
        please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

looks like a pulpit!

you can have "services" with that too!

Comment

Thats cool. I've re-arranged some thing in my room to make it easier to practice but its not anything like what you've got. Mine's still a mess!

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
              Does the V-Amp do everything the G-DEC does? Metronome and half-time sampling is mainly what I need.

If they made a rackmount version of the G-DEC I'd buy it in an instant. I was seriously considering taking the the preamp part out of the amp's cabinet and rackmounting it separately. But the power switch is on the back, which is why the amp is shoved to one side.
              If you have a computer in there, who cares what the amp does? The V-Amp sounds great for practicing at home and you can use a software metronome as well as plugins for Winamp and the like that can slow stuff down without changing the pitch.

Comment

The pc has to boot up, the amp just turns on. I built s similar setup with lcd, pc with delta 10/10 audio card, 24 channel rack mount mixer, Cubase. ect.. its nice when you get it all going but hell, fuck all that just turn on the amp.
                Originally posted by DumpyWumpy View Post
                If you have a computer in there, who cares what the amp does? The V-Amp sounds great for practicing at home and you can use a software metronome as well as plugins for Winamp and the like that can slow stuff down without changing the pitch.
                "when people say metal, they dont think bling bling they think stainless steel kitchen knife"
                I just made that quote..

Comment

Very cool!!! Do you have the plans for the rack/stand? I'd love to build something like that.

Comment

if it only had a floyd...

Seriously though, very nice piece. It's the all-in-one mobile guitar practicing system.
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X