Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA MP-1 PowerAmp suggestions

Emphasis on cheap.

Right now I have a single and dual channel marshall combo and I like each, but scored a trade on an old MP-1 and now itching to either build something semi-flexible and portable. I worked a nice clean out of the MP-1 into one of the returns on the 2Channel marshall, and got some real nice distortions too, but I am thinking of locating a really cheap SS stereo amp, or will I be satisfied with nothing short of tubes?

On the shopping list are :
    Rocktron Velocity
    MosValve 962
    maybe even a powerblock, though it's lack of rackmount kinda stinks - I could probably have a rack fabbed in the old shop.
    Would an Alesis stereo amp suck horribly? they can be had really cheap around here ~$100

or
    Peavy Classic 60/60 - 120/120
    Mesa 20/20
    Marshall 20/20

other?

Again the emphasis was going to be durability/portability but I don't want to sacrifice too much ball quaking amplification. Can I get there off of some super cheap SS poweramp?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

HaHa this thread is basically my exact question from another angle!

When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Go with tubes. The Carvin T100 is affordable. So is the Peavey 50/50.

Comment

What JG said. The Peavey Classic 50/50 is my favorite in terms of features, although it is generally a bit more expensive than the 60 and 120 versions. The Carvin T100 is great too, or a newer TS100 if you can get a decent price. I ran a modded MP-1 into a T100 and could nail Metallica and Slayer album tones using only presets. The Peaveys color the tone more than the Carvin. To my ears, my T100 sounds more consistent going from low to high volumes, but my Peavey Classic 60 and 50/50 sound "bigger" as I turn them up.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
          What JG said. The Peavey Classic 50/50 is my favorite in terms of features, although it is generally a bit more expensive than the 60 and 120 versions. The Carvin T100 is great too, or a newer TS100 if you can get a decent price. I ran a modded MP-1 into a T100 and could nail Metallica and Slayer album tones using only presets. The Peaveys color the tone more than the Carvin. To my ears, my T100 sounds more consistent going from low to high volumes, but my Peavey Classic 60 and 50/50 sound "bigger" as I turn them up.
          I agree with the above assesment 199%.

Comment

The cheapest and best sounding on your list is the MosValve MV-962. Instead of the Carvin or Peavey tube amps, I'd go Mesa 50/50. They are cheap enough and sound GREAT!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Ultimately - if your budget gets hacked down low - the Powerblock is NOT a bad alternative. It's what I'm using right now and it sounds pretty damned good.

But pretty much any of the tube power amps suggested are better.

I'm just sayin'.

Comment

For the money the Peavey Classic sounds great with the MP-1. As far as solid state goes I used a Lee Jackson Perfect Connection power amp with my MP-1 and it did a decent job.

Comment

VHT 2150

hire some professional wrestler chicks as roadies

Comment

I have an early`90's Engl 50x50 EL34 equited power amp.
                    It's only three rack spaces high and has footswitchable dual vol. and pres. controls on each channel. Very versital and great sounding p.a. for the money.

Comment

I still use mine with a Mesa 2:90 and it kills! The key to the ADA is to add a BBE unit...it makes a world of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                        I still use mine with a Mesa 2:90 and it kills! The key to the ADA is to add a BBE unit...it makes a world of difference.
                        Word.

Even a cheap BBE unit. Brings the MP-1 to life. Just reduce the "process" with the increase in volume.

Comment

Peavey and Mesa both work well, they all do (tube amps that is...for the mp1 anyway) but Peavey is cheaper and the differences in total sound etc are minimal between that and the mesa etc..
                          I have had a peavey in my rack with my mp-1 plus a hush IIc for noise reduction (imparitive unless you get a modded mp-1) and like everyone else a BBE, tht setup just kills and will make you very happy! Good luck

Comment

why not try a Marshall Valvestate? They're cheap enough and I've used one for years and it sounds great!

Comment

Working...
                            X